Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

FDNY New 10-code

11 posts in this topic

(Effective 0900 hours, June 1, 2007)

Communications Manual, Chapter 8, titled Radio Communications, dated April 13, 2006, is amended as follows:

Under Section 8.5 Insert: New Signal 10-66, to read:

10-66 Missing, Lost, Trapped, or Seriously Injured Member Requiring Extrication

Transmission of signal 10-66 will automatically cause the response of the following:

The next higher full alarm assignment, and response of all of its associated resources

1-additional Deputy Chief (not an Acting Deputy Chief)

2-Battalion Chiefs in addition to those assigned as part of the extra alarm:

• The first Battalion Chief shall be designated as the FAST Group Supervisor

• The second Battalion Chief shall be designated as the Firefighter Locator Officer

Note: These positions may already be filled by on-scene Chief Officers, in which case the IC may

re-designate these additional BCs. Acting Battalion Chiefs shall not be assigned to respond as a

FAST Group Supervisor or FF Locator Officer.

1 Collapse Unit from the borough of the incident

1 additional Collapse Rescue Task Force

1 additional Squad Company

1 SOC Support Ladder Company

1 additional FAST Unit

1 CFR-D Engine Company (additional, if one was previously assigned, i.e., 10-76 or 10-77)

SOC Logistics Support Van

SOC Compressor Truck

SOC Dewatering Unit

Public Information Officer, if not previously assigned

1 EMS Division Captain

1 EMS Haz-Tac Officer

1 BLS Ambulance

1 ALS Ambulance

1 EMS Rescue Paramedic Ambulance (certified in rescue operation disciplines i.e., confined space, trench and structural collapse operations)

OMA Response Physician

Medical Officer from Bureau of Health Services

If the next higher alarm transmitted is a 2nd alarm, a third additional Battalion Chief shall be assigned and designated as the Staging Area Manager and a Staging Area shall be established.

Note: If there are indications that members are missing/lost/trapped/or seriously injured as a result of a collapse, signal 10-60 must also be transmitted in addition to signal 10-66.

Wow, that is SOME response! This just goes to show you that the FAST discussions on this board were really timely.

Interesting concept, the establishment of a FAST Group rather than the single FAST unit. With the coverage and assignment issues that were previously discussed about FAST, maybe the "Group" approach is an approach that will work here in Westchester.

Or maybe just call FDNY and ask them to send a 10-66 assignment!

I went to the "Five Years After Tarver" lecture at FDIC and really had the 'ol eyes opened by what they had to say and by what they are doing out there for RIT/Downed FF. Pretty cool stuff, for sure.

They no longer have a RIT assignment, but what they call an "on deck" team. Each working team is backed up with a crew on the outside and rescues are done from the inside out as opposed to the outside in. They practiced this with the ENTIRE department and were able to reduce extrication times of downed and missing FF dramatically. It goes against a lot of what we believe is way to do things with RIT, but they showed how well it worked. That, and they now send 7 engines on the FIRST alarm at commercial structures.

If you can read about what they did and are doing out there or catch their show at a conference, I highly recommend it!!

I read the proposal on this. It's been on the drawing board for a number of years. This goes back at least a year or so prior to Sept. 11th. It was originally called a 10-65. The original, if I remember right wasn't as much as this in the way of special units. Although we didn't have as many at the time. I think it was another alarm, Rescue, RCollapse, SOC Support truck, Squad, Safety, SOC Battalion, and a CFR-D Engine.

Let's just hope we don't have to use this signal, EVER!!!!!

I have a question for you, Jimmy. I am having to take an online ICS course for NIMS (National Incident Management System), and it talks about using clear text vs. 10 codes for interoperability. Is FDNY still using 10 codes or are they addressing this?

Sorry if this has been asked before.-Duane

Edited by RescueKujo

Fire, PD, and EMS are all still knee deep in 10 codes.

I have a question for you, Jimmy. I am having to take an online ICS course for NIMS (National Incident Management System), and it talks about using clear text vs. 10 codes for interoperability. Is FDNY still using 10 codes or are they addressing this?

Sorry if this has been asked before.-Duane

Somewhere in the deep vaults buried under Washington, DC are the people who come up with some of this stuff - usually without consulting anyone who actually does it. Initially, NIMS planners proposed eliminating all 10 (or other) codes in favor of plain English. As you can imagine, the rebellion was quite impressive to behold! They backed off that in favor of the position that it is perfectly acceptable to use 10-codes in your regular day-to-day operations but when in a mutual aid or regional response revert to plain English so everyone understands what you're saying.

I believe that the policy in NYC is when they use the interoperability channels for each borough, they don't use 10-codes. Maybe one of the City guys can confirm that?

When FEMA proposed no codes, we got a copy of the article from a website on the back of a memo from our division commander. A few weeks later when FEMA backed off because the IACP was against giving up the codes, that also made the internet, but copies were not issued to every dispatcher.

In my opinion while plain language is obviously easier to understand, the codes made for faster and more efficient dispatching and other communications in most cases. The places where plain language has been the most help is where one code covered a variety of situations. Such as a 10-24 (or 90C) which is a disturbance or breach of peace of any kind. Could be a gang fight or a loud car radio. or a Signal 12, whcih was an Ambulance call. Could be a stubbed tow or a cardiac arrest.

But for codes like Signal 5 which was returning to quarters, and has now been replaced by clear and avalible, returning to quarters. Plain language has actually made some people become more long winded, and that has lead to more radio congestion.

Maybe those folks holed up in the basement should stay there.

Thanks for the responses, guys. Fire and EMS here in San Diego County use clear text, so I was just wondering about the codes.

Duane

In Yonkers we have a signal 10-66 (FF needs assistance)...however we don't have a response such as that cause that is about 10 more units than we even have!

I read an article from the Phoniex FD they tested their fast team respnse and on average it took 12 Firefighters an average of 22 min to locate and rescue a downed FF from a building Removing anyone that is down or passed out is a tough job that is Almost immpossible with 1 company