Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Does the P.A. go to use?

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone ever acually use the P.A. system in your fire/ambulance/police vehicle in a emergency scenerio??

YES, especially when your driving the truck and operating on a highway to warn members of potential dangers. I haven done that in the past.

On rare occasions I have seen drivers using them to say "Move your car!" while responding.

Yes, for situations where there is a crowd that needs to disperse or if you have a missing person in the woods. Anything along those lines.

The PA in a moving vehicle is absolutly useless. It irks me when I hear people screaming for cars to pull over or move to the right etc. The only thing a driver hears is Charlies Browns teacher talking... wah wah wah... However it is very usefull at scenes as a PA or Public Address System.

Yep we do on the ERV during runs to let the fokes know we r there

If you're close enough and use nice simple short words they hear you loud and clear. Trust me, the complaint that came through quoted me word for word.

If you're close enough and use nice simple short words they hear you loud and clear.  Trust me, the complaint that came through quoted me word for word.

Not the first time I've heard that being the case wink.gif

I was driving the ambulance to a multi-vehicle MVA about 2 months ago, and coming up to the scene traffic was at a standstill. As I operated the siren, my EMT partner used the PA to intermittently voice "All vehicles over to the right" repeatedly.

We all know how people just sort of stop, or go wherever the hell they feel like going when they hear emergency vehicles coming up behind them. I could swear the driver's manual tells you to pull to the RIGHT and STOP, but hey, what do I know.

Does anyone ever acually use the P.A. system in your fire/ambulance/police vehicle in a emergency scenerio??

Hell yes, when you forget to tell your partner to supersize the order! wink.gif

OH, sorry, for EMERGENCY situations. Yes, I have used it to clear milling pedestrians from MVA's, and relaying info to someone on scene from radio traffic received, and used for searches as well. We use it at the Fairgrounds too for various different uses, and other special events like marathons/walks/races where we need to get someones attention.

If you need to clear FF's out of a building start hollering into one along with the airhorn. (For some reason we react differently and move faster to someone yelling 'naked woman with a case of beer and a pizza next to the engine' than we do 'mayday') tongue.gif

Edited by Jonesy368

Yes...for incidents with multiple casualties or exposures and also sometimes when you are in a load of traffic as you are arriving it assists in giving directions to confused motorists.

If someone sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher...that isn't the PA that's bad technique and they are probably the same way talking on the radio. Talk across the mic not into it.

It's also useful to tell the moron who drove through the flares and into the flood water that, No, you're not coming in to "rescue" him and that he should walk out to your vehicle (with his license and registration)!!!! cool.gif

Does anyone ever acually use the P.A. system in your fire/ambulance/police vehicle in a emergency scenario??

we don't use the P.A. system at all. the last time i saw somebody using the P.A. on our rigs it was at a St. Patties Day Parade. the driver would key the P.A. system and hold the mic up to the stereo speakers. other than that, we don't really use it. some co.'s use it to yell at motorists to tell them to get outta the way. my co. kinda forgets we have a P.A. system b/c they usually just yell really loud, wind out the Q-siren, and blow the air horns till they cant blow no more. it sometimes is time consuming to get the mic off the hook. sometimes the car moves outta the way before you can get your hands on the mic. just my two cents cool.gif

I use it sometimes... When I go to McDonalds. biggrin.gif

Edited by HFD750

LOL

hey they dont screw up the order

I've used it during felony stops, but you need to turn down the volume to not sound like a damn subway announcement.

It also works well telling the walking wounded which way to to go after a train fire/accident. "Please walk to the right, no the other right... my right... the other right.. oh crap".