Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Cops writing Cops Family Members

49 posts in this topic

Ok so I know that there is a topic sort of like this but I have to get this off my chest. Last night I am assigned a radar car which helps me get my numbers up to where they should be. Not that I don't usually write tickets, but I am more inclined when I do radar then when on patrol.

Everything is going nice and smooth and as a matter of fact, I hadn't stopped anyone that was "OTJ" all night. Probably around 2000-2030hrs a car passed me doing 51-30 with a headlight out. I pull out of my spot. I generally give about 20mph over the speed limit depending on time of day, weather, location. I stop the car and the lady has her stuff ready. I don't even get out of my mouth License and Registration when she tells me her husband is "Det in NYC". I advised her the reason for the stop which was speeding and also advised her that she had a headlight out. She sais she knew and is supposed to get it fixed. I asked if you she had any ID proving that her husband was a COP and she just pointed to a Detective's Endowmnment PBA card taped above the Reg. I asked where he worked and she hesitated and said Long Island City. I asked what precinct and she said oh well he is retired. I said so he isn't a cop anymore then. With that she said well you guys usually respect that. I got really annoyed with that. Then she said you can call him if you want. I told her that isn't my job handed her back her sh*t and told her that would be the last time she would get a break from me.

Now all of us in LE have run into this problem before. Sometimes we write the ticket only to go back to the car and find out that Their relative is OTJ. Happened to my wife one day. I don't understand why they just don't say it first. I guess it is how you say it. How about does it matter if my so and so is OTJ? What about proper ID. EVERYONE AN THEIR MOTHER HAS PBA CARDS. I know I could have written this lady but then I have to deal with her husband. I know that I could have been in the right saying have your husband call me and we can work something out. Just didn't want to be that guy.

Guess I just want some other opinions.

It's all a matter of respect. The fact that the first thing she mentioned was that her husband was OTJ, and was adamant that because of that, she was entitled to special treatment, shows that she has no respect for anyone else. You're actually a better man than I am, because after the first 30 seconds of her attitude, I would have gone back to the car and written her for both things.

I would have written her for the broken headlight. She can easily get out of that. She knows it's broken and that she needs to get it fixed. She just needs an attitude adjustment as all. I think that would do it. If she gets it fixed and the ticket signed by sundown the next day, it disappears. Simple.

I would have written her for the broken headlight. She can easily get out of that. She knows it's broken and that she needs to get it fixed. She just needs an attitude adjustment as all. I think that would do it. If she gets it fixed and the ticket signed by sundown the next day, it disappears. Simple.

Exactly what I would have done in this situation.

PROFESSIONAL COURTESY goes a long way until it's ABUSED!

Then it ruins it for all of us.

If you are stopped be RESPECTFUL, it's that simple. biggrin.gif

A lot of Police Officers are or were at some point involved in

Fire and or EMS. They don't look to jam you up but....

They do have a job to do. Remember that!

My point about the whole thing is Carry the right ID. If you have a mini badge then carry that. If all you have is a PBA card then have it signed and filled out in your name. There are tons of cards out there. Everyone has them. I just got another one before. NYC 2006 PBA I asked whose it was and he said my brothers friend. I just gave it back wrote him the ticket. Then he tried naming all these Yonkers Cops and saying he was friends then he asked what kind of Radar I got him with. He wanted make and model. I told him that it was too hot to get into on the side of the road. Also told that I would see him in court.

I need to get my attitude back. 4.5HRS too go.

I always felt like an d!ck dropping names and and flashing cards. You guys are doing your job and I was in the wrong.

Be careful what you wish for with the mini badges, I love the ones that flip it open when you get to the car as if they were OTJ! DRIVES ME NUTS! But, I dont want to be "that guy" either so I grin and bear it. Not worth getting into a "ticket war" with another jurisdiction over some retard with pba card etc., I just keep in the back of my head that it'll take me less than 5 minutes to get my next one and its not worth the hastle of writing a family member. "Friends" on the other hand are a different story. I make a lot of car stops and write a lot of tickets, of all the people who say they "know someone", Id say .1 out of 10, I get a phone call, the others I guess just didnt know them well enough.

Whats OTJ stand for?

Cool thanks

He wanted make and model. I told him that it was too hot to get into on the side of the road.

Isn't a motorist legally entitled to this info and to see the radar gun?

That was gonna be my question. Anybody in the know?

After all this, the only question my feeble, old mind can think of is "Where are you, Tony Baretta?"

Times change, huh?

Or, sadly, maybe they don't ...

well, you can go either way with this topic in my opinion. like someone said earlier, if its a family member you might have some more flexibility than if your just a freind of a cop. you can easily just drop names, but that dont prove nothing. even in the case of a cop's family member, the driver stills always needs to be respectful, but (yell at me if i'm wrong) i also feel that the cop should be respectful of the family member's status (the cop's status that is). I'm def. not sayin that its an immediate "off the hook" kinda thing, but its something to consider, dont ya think? For example, if your pulled over for tinted windows or for driving like 10 miles over the limit, a cop should let it slide for a respectable person who has a family member OTJ (especially if he is a senior officer), but if you come across some shthead who's driving 30 milesabove the limit, all over the place in a car that looks like something out of the cartoons, then regardless of who the driver is related to, please, give the ticket and worry about the phone calls later. PBA cards are a dime a dozen, and although they should help a family member out, i can totally understand why some cops get annoyed to see them. Family badges are obviously harder to come by, and usually only accessible to the family members, therefore I feel should have some more "power". as for retired cops, i personally cant stand when the active cops says some s*** like, "oh, so he's not a cop anymore?" you ask any retired cop, and that'll really piss them off. just like in the FD, there is seniority in the PD, and the current cops should respect that, especially the rookies who only have a couple years on with not much experience. Its a total lack of respect when a cop suggests that a retired cop isnt privy to the respect he has earned while OTJ. just my opinion

Entitled to the model name if a Supporting Deposition. Not entitled to see the RADAR unit.

In NYS, there is no Right to Discovery for Traffic Infractions.

I always thought it was a California thing to see the unit.

If you want to argue about the model and the officer's qualification on such, get a Supporting Deposition and go to Court.

Is there any truth to it that cops don't like when the motorist requests a Supporting Deposition?

Let's put it this way. On the side of the road in 90 degree heat I am not going to get into the make and model of the Radar unit that I used to clock him. If he wishes, he can plead not guilty, get a supporting deposition and I will see him in court.

Truckie was that comment about the "retired cop thing" directed at me? Well how about this woman is straight with me and say my husband is retired right off the bat. How about she shows me some ID or something to verify that. If I pull over somebody and they tell me they are retired and show ID I tell them to have a good night. I am all for COPS and their Families if they have a little respect. Just because somebody retired doesn't mean that they get my respect. Some cops were and are sacks of sh*t when they pretended to play cop. That doesn't get anything from me. Of course I don't know that when I am out there but names do go around.

I know lots of cops who have family members that are pieces of Sh*t so do they deserve a break also?

I just don't deal with the aggravation of writing people with PBA cards. Maybe I should. Maybe I should start writing people who drive 10mph over the speed limit. Maybe not give a break to anyone. I don't want to be that person.

Now with TRACS the supporting deposition is issued right on the scene. Its a beautiful thing. Deps were a hassle before because you had to type it out, type a cover letter, write the envelope, provide the court with proof of mailing etc. It would take about 10 minutes a piece, and when you come back off of RDOs and there's a stack of 20, you might as well get comfy at the computer. But like I said, TRACS allows the officer, at his discretion (some depts require it) to issue the dep on the scene and you're done with the whole thing. As far as what a motorist is "entitled" to on the side of the road is nothing but a ticket, like it was stated, 90 degrees out, traffic wizzing by the seat of your pants, this is no time for a pre-trial conference. And when you get baited into these conversations it usually ends in a civilian complaint or something of that nature.

Sometimes we write the ticket only to go back to the car and find out that Their relative is OTJ. Happened to my wife one day. I don't understand why they just don't say it first. I guess it is how you say it. How about does it matter if my so and so is OTJ? What about proper ID. EVERYONE AN THEIR MOTHER HAS PBA CARDS. I know I could have written this lady but then I have to deal with her husband. I know that I could have been in the right saying have your husband call me and we can work something out. Just didn't want to be that guy.

I try to limit PBA cards to immediate family, and write my cell phone number on each one. That way I feel the officer can call me to verify anything. This works very well. Even if I retired I would expect the same professional.

I am assigned to a radar/traffic unit... if I ask a motorist for their drivers license, reg, and proof of insurance, and the motorist shows me what I asked for and then gives me a PBA card, apologizes for their infraction, and is respectful... they're on their way without a peep from me.

If I ask for their license, reg, and insurance and they shove a PBA card in my face minus what I asked for and ask "why you stopping me?", my little black pen goes to work, legitimate PBA card or not. If they want courtesy... well it goes both ways. I see on average 10 to 15 PBA cards a night, 99% of the time no problems. But there's always that one dope who thinks because he/she has a PBA card he/she's untouchable. Doesn't work that way. Generally, unless the person really really pissed me off, if the cop calls me and I explain to them why I wrote over the PBA card, the summons can be taken care of later on. Sometimes my only reason for writing the card is to get the cop to call me so I can inform them how their friend/family member/whoever acted during the car stop.

Simply stated, if you have a PBA card and get pulled over...

#1 - Stop right away, don't make the cop chase after you

#2 - Turn your car off, interior light on, and hands on the steering wheel

#3 - GIVE THE P.O. WHAT HE/SHE ASKS FOR!

#4 - Offer the PBA Card and explain to the P.O. who it is. Make sure you have a

way of contacting the LEO who gave you the card.

#5 - Apologize for the infraction, even if in your mind you did nothing wrong.

#6 - BE POLITE!

#7 - If you are not a police officer, don't tell the cop you're "on the job". I laugh

everytime someone tells me they're "on the job" and I ask for their ID and

they show me some EMT badge they ordered out of Galls.

Edited by JJB531

I put my cell on my PBA cards and only give them out to the CHOSEN FEW. JJB that is a pet peeve of mine. If the first thing I get is a PBA card I throw it somewhere in the car take their paperwork and right the ticket. I don't stand for that BS. I also don't like when people tell me they didn't do what I pulled them over for. Like I have nothing else better to do than stop you.

I do the exact same thing with my PBA cards ONEEYED, only my immediate family get PBA cards... that's it. My cell phone is written on them also, and I educate them on proper PBA card etiquette. I love it when someone argues with me that they weren't speeding when I have them on radar, and then they want to give me a PBA card after giving me a hard time....

dry.gif Y'all are WAAAYYYYY too nice. If someone is speeding they're not only breaking the law, but they're a danger to those of us other folks on the road. I know that most speed limits were set decades ago, but I thought the purpose of a speed limit was to give a motorist guidance as to what speed they should maintain to safely negotiate that road. Additionally, I have found through the classes that I teach through the Georiga Traffic Injury Prevention Institute most people who speed also drive recklessly in other ways. Giving a speeder a ticket may not slow them down permentantly but it does do a few things. 1. The ticket slows them down at least temporarily. They become more conscientious. 2. They learn quickly that points toward their license equals higher insurance rates. They eventually get hit in the pocket enough and they just may slow down. 3. They get points toward their license. Get enough infractions, points pile up and license goes bye-bye.

So far, knock on wood, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket (and I'm 44 y/o) but if one of the cops I do volunteer work with pulled me over, I would expect at least a written warning if not a ticket.

Stop being so "nice" to these people who obviously have no regard for the safety of others on the road. If they deserve it, give them the frickin' ticket.

dry.gif Y'all are WAAAYYYYY too nice. If someone is speeding they're not only breaking the law, but they're a danger to those of us other folks on the road.  I know that most speed limits were set decades ago, but I thought the purpose of a speed limit was to give a motorist guidance as to what speed they should maintain to safely negotiate that road. Additionally, I have found through the classes that I teach through the Georiga Traffic Injury Prevention Institute most people who speed also drive recklessly in other ways. Giving a speeder a ticket may not slow them down permentantly but it does do a few things. 1. The ticket slows them down at least temporarily. They become more conscientious. 2. They learn quickly that points toward their license equals higher insurance rates. They eventually get hit in the pocket enough and they just may slow down. 3. They get points toward their license. Get enough infractions, points pile up and license goes bye-bye. 

So far, knock on wood, I haven't gotten a speeding ticket (and I'm 44 y/o) but if one of the cops I do volunteer work with pulled me over, I would expect at least a written warning if not a ticket.

Stop being so "nice" to these people who obviously have no regard for the safety of others on the road. If they deserve it, give them the frickin' ticket.

You say that now. You mean to tell me in your 28+ years driving experience you have never broken the law? You know that you have you just haven't been caught. So if you do get caught you think that you should automatically be given a written warning? I can hear it now. You get pulled over and I know that first words out of your mouth will be that you work with so and so doing volunteer work. Next you will say that is the first time since you stated driving that you got pulled over.

I don't give people tickets when I pull them over because I already did my job. They will drive slower especially on the road they just got pulled over on because there is a chance that someone will be in that spot again.

The roads around here should be higher in speed limit. My town is listed at 30 unless posted somewhere else. That is crazy. I give 50 and then I pull you over. I-684, I-287, I-95, Sprain Brook PKWY in some areas all should be at least 65 right now. Cars are doing that anyway so just raise it the speed limit. Cars are faster now then ever before and in most new cars you don't even realize that you are going that fast. I was in my Cousins car about a month ago doing at least 100+ on 684 and it felt like I was doing 55.

I will give you one good point. Southern PO's do not f*ck around. 1mph over and they give you a ticket. They don't care.

You say that now. You mean to tell me in your 28+ years driving experience you have never broken the law? You know that you have you just haven't been caught. So if you do get caught you think that you should automatically be given a written warning? I can hear it now. You get pulled over and I know that first words out of your mouth will be that you work with so and so doing volunteer work. Next you will say that is the first time since you stated driving that you got pulled over.

I don't give people tickets when I pull them over because I already did my job. They will drive slower especially on the road they just got pulled over on because there is a chance that someone will be in that spot again.

The roads around here should be higher in speed limit. My town is listed at 30 unless posted somewhere else. That is crazy. I give 50 and then I pull you over. I-684, I-287, I-95, Sprain Brook PKWY in some areas all should be at least 65 right now. Cars are doing that anyway so just raise it the speed limit. Cars are faster now then ever before and in most new cars you don't even realize that you are going that fast. I was in my Cousins car about a month ago doing at least 100+ on 684 and it felt like I was doing 55.

I will give you one good point. Southern PO's do not f*ck around. 1mph over and they give you a ticket. They don't care.

Holy Sht, you aint kidding! On the way to B-more, I saw AT LEAST 7 Maryland State Troopies on the side one after another...my freinds and I couldnt beleive...They are really out to get ya....I'm not even gunna talk about Virginia!!

You know the story about VA troopers and what happend to the NYPD cars that were responding to LA after Katrina. They are pr*ck's. I go down south every summer to NC for a week with my family. I make it a point to drive about 8 miles over the speed limit but I do slow way down when I am in VA. In the Police Academy one of the guys there was from Myrtle Beach, SC. Great guy. We got to talking and he told me the best thing to do was join the F.O.P.. He said that most of the time if you get stopped and you show that you are in the F.O.P., they won't give you a ticket because that is their UNION and they don't want the bad press. Not sure if that is true or not but so far I have been OK. Knock on wood. Usually only drive at night. That helps with the cruise control on. No need to go that fast.

Buddy of mine who used to work in the same precinct with me transferred down to Florida. A number of the County Sheriff's in Florida have take home, marked patrol cars. He said it wasn't uncommon to see these marked patrol cars being stopped by other agencies for speeding or other traffic violation. I couldn't believe it when he told me.

My feeling is, if I'm driving home at night from work, and I see a Trooper/Westchester County/Local P.O. fighting with some mope on the side of the road, I'm stopping and getting in the fight unlike most civilians who would just keep on driving. I've done it once or twice before and I'll do it again, doesn't matter if I'm in NY, Virginia, GEORGIA, or Alaska. That's what pisses me off about these storm troopers from Virginia... stopping a caravan of marked NYPD vehicles coming back from New Orleans like ONEEYED said... now if that VA Trooper had a car stop go bad and that caravan of NYPD vehicles came rollin' up, I guarantee you not one PO in the group wouldn't of taken action... would've looked like a fight scene from Braveheart as they charged the field.

Buddy of mine who used to work in the same precinct with me transferred down to Florida.  A number of the County Sheriff's in Florida have take home, marked patrol cars.  He said it wasn't uncommon to see these marked patrol cars being stopped by other agencies for speeding or other traffic violation.  I couldn't believe it when he told me.

My feeling is, if I'm driving home at night from work, and I see a Trooper/Westchester County/Local P.O. fighting with some mope on the side of the road, I'm stopping and getting in the fight unlike most civilians who would just keep on driving.  I've done it once or twice before and I'll do it again, doesn't matter if I'm in NY, Virginia, GEORGIA, or Alaska.  That's what pisses me off about these storm troopers from Virginia... stopping a caravan of marked NYPD vehicles coming back from New Orleans like ONEEYED said... now if that VA Trooper had a car stop go bad and that caravan of NYPD vehicles came rollin' up, I guarantee you not one PO in the group wouldn't of taken action... would've looked like a fight scene from Braveheart as they charged the field.

A friend of mine was in the caravan of NYPD vehicles heading to New Orleans when they got stopped by the VSP. And, despite emails that denied it.... he says it was true and I believe him over a stupid email chain.

That being said, the sad part is that if the same NYPD caravan was heading north and saw a Virginia State Trooper getting his a** kicked I would bet they would stop and take care of business. This is despite the utter disrespect they had showed.

We became cops/brothers and that is what makes us better than the few as**holes there are out there that make us all look like s***.

Edited by khas143

Professional courtesy goes along way. When I pull someone who is either a police officer or a family member of one I just cut them lose with a warning, I do the same for firefighters. You never know when your going to need their help. I tell everyone on my shift to use their judgement. I have stopped several off duty NY/NJ/CT officers travling here to the beach to golf or vaction, i let them go with a warning. Some of the officers that I work with will write them a ticket and give them a hard time. I am embarrssed when they do stuff like .