Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Return Of WXRK K-Rock 92.3 FM!

12 posts in this topic

I NEVER listen to FM radio anymore ,mostly since K-Rock 92.3 went to the "Free FM" format and I went to Sirius Octane channel 20.

As I predicted, "Free FM" was a massive failure, and I found this exciting news on Wikipedia:

Return of WXRK and K-Rock (2007-)

On May 24, 2007, the Free FM format in New York was canceled by CBS Radio and the station returned to its rock format as K-Rock.[1] On 4:57 pm that day, the station's general manager apologized to listeners for taking K-Rock away. Minutes later at 5pm, the station returned to the air as K-Rock, playing alternative rock from the 90s and 2000s along with heavy classic rock. The first song played, keeping with the theme of the station conveying their apology for taking away K-Rock in the first place, was "All Apologies" by Nirvana.

The station is expected to revert to its previous call letters, WXRK. Simultaneously, the current WXRK (92.3 K-Rock in Cleveland Heights, also owned by CBS Radio) is expected to receive the calls WKRI.

New York needs a rock station, and now it's back!

It's about time!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif Now I have something to listen to at work.

you aint kidding! its was pretty much the only decent rock station we had, and to lose it to talk radio was a nightmare!

rock on

Actually, I hated that format too.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE MIGHTY XRK IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! ABOUT TIME!

We have WCCC up here outta Hartford and they play great music and I can get XRK too. (unlike WPLR which is heavy on rotation but still play some good olds classics).

WELCOME BACK MY OLD FRIEND!!!

(I'm starting to think about growing my hair back again)

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by IzzyEng4

I dunno, maybe it's me, but a lot of the stuff that has come out over the past 15 years hasn't really appealed to me. My affection towards newer bands is limited to Disturbed, Black Label Society(Zakk Wylde of Ozzys band), and not much else. I'm more into some heavier stuff, with a liberal sprinkling of hair bands and some early punk(Misfits, Black Flag). Anyone who knows me or has taken a ride in the Almighty Cavalier Rock Box can attest to my tastes.

One of the only radio shows I listen to is Friday Night Rocks on Q-104. The rest of the time it's CD's I've burned. Eddie Trunk plays some pretty good stuff. Heard some classic Slayer followed up by a Testament tune this past Friday. Felt like I was back on the hill at Carmel High in a denim jacket and a shoulder length mullet. Ahh those were the days, my friends. Unfortunately, a lot of that music doesn't bring in the advertising dollars. Hence it doesn't really work out. It happened with Q-104 back in the mid 90's. They were playing a lot of heavy stuff(for the time) with some classic heavy stuff such as Judas Priest, Pre 1983 KISS, Maiden, etc. It lasted about two years and then they went to the classic rock when WNEW went alternative. It was pretty funny listening to Scott Muni(RIP) or Carol Miller trying to talk up The Offspring when you knew it wasn't what they wanted to be playing.

Talk Radio is best left for the AM stations. I don't listen to O n A that much because I am usually sleeping or working when they are on. I do miss Ron and Fez, but I really don't want to shell out the money. David Lee Roth was destined to fail because how can you fill Stern's shoes?? Can't fault the guy for trying. He makes a good radio guest, but not a good host. I'm telling you, I should have gotten into some kind of program directing stuff.

Me and one of my friends were discussing this the other day. We have no radio resume(unless you count my CG and FDNY time), but we could definitely give Hard Rock Radio a kick in the tush if given the opportunity. Shameless plug here, for you MySpace types, my friends' old band was called Connected. Check em out. They rocked out.

Edited by JBE

I did miss KRock, but since getting my XM service 5 years ago, I never listen to any FREE Radio anymore.

On the topic of FM radio, I recently heard an advertisement for High Definition Radio, what's the deal with that?

since k-rock tanked and went to talk I got angry and got sirus I don't care if all the teresterial radio stations blow up I'm sticking to octane and sirus 14 classic rock (stern once in a while)

When I heard them say "Today at five" that morning I was thinking "what the...."

That night when I turned on my radio it was like things never changed.

I was also pleased that they apologized for what has to be one of the biggest radio blunders ever. Wonder how much money they lost?

To anyone who's sick of radio check out sattelite. I'm partial to XM, but I'll admit the music progaming at Sirius is as good if not better. Its only $12 a month and you can get good recievers for free after the rebates. The only downside, once you go sattelite you can't go back. Regular radio blows.

When I heard them say "Today at five" that morning I was thinking "what the...."

That night when I turned on my radio it was like things never changed. 

I was also pleased that they apologized for what has to be one of the biggest radio blunders ever.  Wonder how much money they lost?

I hope they lost alot on this. Who was the person who ever thought that Free FM 24hrs a day was a good idea? Even they realized after a while that it was bad and they went to music on weekends and basketball/hockey.

Thank God K-Rock is back.