Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Apparatus for car Fires

26 posts in this topic

Just curious what others opinions are on car fire calls.

Do you pefer 1 engine or 2 engines (or engine and tanker) be dispatched to a reported car fire? Even if your first due engine is 1000gal tank would you still pefer a second engine or tanker be dispatched?

We send two engines (500gal) to a car fire. Just to be sure we have adequate manpower and/or water. Second due can always be cancelled.

CAFS ends the routine car fire in much less then 500 gallons.

Plus, if you use your water efficiently, then 500-750 should be plenty to knock down a routine care fire.

If you dispatch a 750-1000 gallon engine and a tanker to a car fire, then you have some serious firefighting tatic issues (given extrodinary circumstances)

As for apparartus, Engine to suppress, truck to block on a highway and manage traffic and open the hood and trunk.

No need to waste resources and/or commit them to a highway if the fire doesn't threaten property or lives. If a car burns, a car burns....we put it out. Typically an engine company job- use the least amount of resources for this, and keep the rest in service for LIFE and PROPERTY.

My department sends 2 engines. It has been debated though for highway car fires to send an engine and a tanker.

we send our rescue, its got a pump on it so we use it and we send an engien

Stamford Fire Rescue SOG specifies 1 engine and 1 truck on all vehicle fires on city streets. If the incident is on I-95 2 engine companies are assigned. If the fire is due to an MVA the rescue is added to the assignment. As always the dispatch supervisor can increase the response as he or she sees fit.

Happy Father's day and, as always, Stay Safe!!!

SFRD49

Dobbs Ferry sends an engine unless carfire w/entrapment then it's a full assignment(2-3 engines a truck and the utility).

Currently...

Hydrant Area: 1 Engine & Rescue

Tanker Area: 1 Engine, Tanker, Rescue (Rescue does traffic / lighting)

Highway: 2 Engines, Tanker, Rescue (Usually the 2nd Engine is cancelled, but two are suppost to be dispatched - one from the north and another from the south).

Two Engines have 1000 gallon tanks and the third a 750. It is rare that we can't put out a car fire with an engine's tank - but we're better off safe then sorry.

1 engine response. 2 engine on I-95. 2 engines for HRP 1 engine will stand-by on the bridge. And the rescue will roll on pretty much everything.

Too may what ifs with car fires for just one engine. Is it spreading to a structure, open brush, other vehicles, on top of traffic hazards. In my perfect world two rigs to start and add more as you need 'em

I'm of the "two pumps to any fire" mentality myself. Whether a car fire, brush, etc. I would feel better knowing two pieces with pumps and a booster tank were coming for the simple reason that "crap happens." I'd hate to see that engine pull up, stretch a line then the pump fails.

PLUS - I would rather see two rigs with crews show up then one rig and a butt-load of POVs getting in the way.

I would say a response to a car fire should be at least two engines, this way you have more scene protection especially on the major roadways.

One engine, one ambulance to all car fires w/o exposures. Car fires with exposures get one engine, one truck, one ambulance. We run the EMS here, so the ambo goes to almost every call. Also, this fits our thoughts that anytime a firefighter must wear SCBA, there should be an ambulance on scene.

CAFS ends the routine car fire in much less then 500 gallons.

Plus, if you use your water efficiently, then 500-750 should be plenty to knock down a routine care fire.

If you dispatch a 750-1000 gallon engine and a tanker to a car fire, then you have some serious firefighting tatic issues (given extrodinary circumstances)

As for apparartus, Engine to suppress, truck to block on a highway and manage traffic and open the hood and trunk.

No need to waste resources and/or commit them to a highway if the fire doesn't threaten property or lives. If a car burns, a car burns....we put it out. Typically an engine company job- use the least amount of resources for this, and keep the rest in service for LIFE and PROPERTY.

I'm with you, anything having to do with hoselines is an engine responsibility, keep the rest in service for life and property, plus most towns have 2 or 3 engines but only one rescue

We use 2 Engines, 1 Rescue, Utility if needed, sometimes Tanker instead of 2nd Engine.We use our Rescue as a Road Block, Light Mast if at Night, we consider our Rescue for our Manpower life and safety. Never know what will happen out there.

One engine, one ambulance to all car fires w/o exposures. Car fires with exposures get one engine, one truck, one ambulance. We run the EMS here, so the ambo goes to almost every call. Also, this fits our thoughts that anytime a firefighter must wear SCBA, there should be an ambulance on scene.

Thats really interesting. Is there another bus inservice, is the one on scene available to respond, or is the bus just not in very high demand?

Up here in Granville MA (that little notch into CT)

We send

-Rescue 1

-Engine1 OR Engine 2 (E-2 designated west Granville)

-Tanker 1

- Ambulance 1

If not enough drivers then we send R-! and E-1 and call a tanker

depends on location (near woods, etc)

we have found that class d extinguishers have come in handy.

Three or four pieces of apparatus is a bit much much for a car fire. I know each juristiction has it's own criteria for certain calls but you have to draw the line somwhere. We can "what if" all day long. My two cents.

Edited by 210

Our dispatch does not specify what responds. The call goes out and it is open to all our department vehicles. IC has the power to request additional equipment (more tones) or release incoming if not needed. It is possible to get 4 engines, a rescue, a mini attack, two utiliies and an ambulance. This is not very likely unless it is 1900 hours (drill time) on a Wednesday. We don't tone out a full department response but it is a general response and if you are available you roll.

Heard on the radio a while back..

-4 engines

-1 mutual aid tanker

Our dispatch does not specify what responds. The call goes out and it is open to all our department vehicles. IC has the power to request additional equipment (more tones) or release incoming if not needed. It is possible to get 4 engines, a rescue, a mini attack, two utiliies and  an ambulance. This is not very likely unless it is 1900 hours (drill time) on a Wednesday. We don't tone out a full department response but it is a general response and if you are available you roll.

And a big fat lawsuit if someone crashes that really isn't needed...

Yonkers:

City St (24 RD): Engine, Ladder, Battalion

Highway (24 HW): 2 Engines, Ladder, Battalion, and sometimes Safety Battalion

Somewhat well hydranted city with resources within 2-3 minutes of most calls.

Engines, I believe, carry 500 gallons, ladders are just ladders...no pump, no h2o

Edited by Oswegowind

One Engine and One Truck....if it is on one of the highways we will usually add the Rescue to the assignment.

down here we send 1 engine and if we need it a second engine and the rescue

Three or four pieces of apparatus is a bit much much for a car fire. I know each juristiction has it's own criteria for certain calls but you have to draw the line somwhere. We can "what if" all day long. My two cents.

I'll agree with you, but our department only consists of

2 engines

1 rescue

1 brush

2 tankers

1 ambulance

thats it!

My NY department typically runs 1-2 engines for vehicle fires, 2 engines and the ladder for MVF with exposure. As for PA, the rescue rolls out first (onboard pump, 500 gallon tank), typically followed by an engine with Class B foam. Personally, I like the rescue running vehicle fires in case it the call requires some sort of extrication. I agree with having more than one apparatus respond, especially on highways. You can always cancel them.