Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RescueKujo

San Diego Fire Department New Deliveries

29 posts in this topic

The San Diego Fire Department is taking delivery in the next few months of the last pieces of apparatus on their Pierce contract. They are expecting a engine, 4 trucks and a Bomb Squad rig. The eninge and trucks are all on the Dash chassis. The engine is in and pictured below. As the others come in I'll post them.

Engine 47, which along with a truck, will be in a new station opening later this year in the northern part of the city.

SDFDE47New-2-07-07.jpg

The department recently took delivery of a new Mobile Canteen also. This was donated by one of the local RV dealers.

SDFDMobileCanteenNew-1-07-07.jpg

This may/may not be a stupid question.

What is a "Canteen" unit?

Is it something along the lines of a rehab/refreshment unit for hot/cold days /long enduring events?

This may/may not be a stupid question.

What is a "Canteen" unit?

Is it something along the lines of a rehab/refreshment unit for hot/cold days /long enduring events?

It's a rehab unit run by the Pioneer Hook & Ladder Museum. Generally gets added to 2nd alarm fires or above and major brush fires in the city.

This week Trucks 12 and 44 arrived. The shops are still awaiting the arrival of Trucks 29 and 47 along with the new Bomb Squad rig, which the shops chief will go to Pierce next month and inspect. Here's a photo of Truck 44, Truck 12 was tucked in between that and another rig, so I was unable to get photos.

SDFDT44-2-07-07.jpg

Nice shots Duane. Keep em coming.

Awesome Duane! I like the new Pierce's!

Is the new Tiller (I forget the manufacturer) been delivered yet? Or have I lost track?

Seth,

Last I knew it was still being outfitted. I'll get a run down next week as I'll talk to the shop chief.

Went by the shops this week and got a few more shots. Trucks 29 and 47 are in, just not in a good place for photos. Still awaiting delivery of the new Bomb Squad Rig.

A different shot of Engine 47

SDFDE47-1-08-07.jpg

Truck 12

SDFDT12-1-08-07.jpg

And the Medical Enterprise between SDFD and Rural-Metro has received some new rigs. Type 1 Ambulance on a F450 chassis

SDMSEType1Ambo-2-08-07.jpg

and as asked about by the owner of the site, Truck 1 is back at the shops to be put in service-2006 Crimson TDA

SDFDT1--08-07.jpg

Great shots of some Great looking rigs, Duane

Good luck with them!!!

San Diego Fire's new Bomb Squad rig has arrived. On a Pierce Arrow XT chassis like LAPD's Bomb Squad and SWAT rigs, with minor differences. I will hopefully have a photo tour soon. But this should whet an appetite or 2...

post-5252-1193048191.jpg

Until now, SDFD has tended to be low key with their Bomb Squad/MAST (Metro Arson Strike Team) units/teams. The call sign for the unit is X-Ray 1, hence the XR1.

Edited by RescueKujo

Just a question,which may sound silly. Does San Diego respond to that many bomb calls that they need a dedicated rig? Do they handle such calls alone or is the P.D. involved? I know in NYC th P.D. handles bomb calls and the F.D. provides an engine to stage a distance away. Just wondering thats all.

Mike,

The "X" in X-Ray come from UXO, for unexploded ordnance.

Paul, the MAST unit is a combinded SDPD/SDFD team. They run 3-4 runs a day. The bomb squad tech comes from that team.

The 2nd round of KME deliveries have started with SDFD. 7 engines plus 1 extra that community donations purchased. Engines 11, 7, 22, 35 are at the shops. Engine 17 was the one donated, it is also at the shops. I've also added a photo of the new Truck 47, which will go in service later this month or next month when station 47 opens it's doors...

post-5252-1196925368.jpg

post-5252-1196926290.jpg

post-5252-1196926359.jpg

Nice looking vehicles, Duane!!!!! Good luck with them!!!!!

Nice shots, Duane! Thanks for sharing them with us.

I hope I can make it out to San Diego this winter! Looks like plenty of new stuff to shoot!

Is the San Diego FD the only agency in the city with bomb squad capabilities.

As RescueKujo previously mentioned, the Bomb Squad is a mulit-agency effort from the PD and FD.

Thanks, I missed the previous post stating that there is a multi agency response's.

Edited by dmccabe

The SDFD MAST/X-Ray units handle everything in the city, San Diego County Sheriff's Department handles everything else in the county (includes cities within the county boundries.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Seth, I'm looking forward to it. Try to get me some lead time, as I do pick up a lot of OT. It'll also give me time to set up some locations with my contacts.

Hey Kujo is truck 21 going to get truck 1's old tiller? Because I saw on EMTBravo West that it might go there due to 21's responce area, which I have been to (visting my uncle who lives in Pacific Beach) and they need a tiller.

I hope I can make it out to San Diego this winter! Looks like plenty of new stuff to shoot!

If schedules permit, I just might join you.

I might also try to join you

Hey Kujo is truck 21 going to get truck 1's old tiller? Because I saw on EMTBravo West that it might go there due to 21's responce area, which I have been to (visting my uncle who lives in Pacific Beach) and they need a tiller.

I have heard they want to put a tiller at 21's. They ran an older Seagrave TDA until they received their current Saulsbury RMA...

SDFD Truck 21-October 1991

SDFDT21-10-91.jpg

San Diego FD Truck 21-October 2001

SDFDT21-10-01.jpg

The last 3 KMEs for this delivery are in. Engines 18, 28 and 32's. Engines 18 and 28 were tucked in behind other rigs, but Engine 32 was in a great position for a photo...

post-5252-1198905471.jpg

Nice Rigs!!! Good luck with them!!!!!