Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Free Movie Theater Admission For Police And Fire?

38 posts in this topic

When I was in the PA, we were told that certain big name BUSINESSES have a budget set for CIVIL SERVICE EMPLOYEES. This Budget is fit into their annual budget or something like that. Now I know around here that if you go into certain DUNKIN DONUTS, you barely pay anything if at all. I DO NOT GO INTO DUNKIN DONUTS UNLESS SOMEBODY INSIDE NEEDS A PICKUP. I DON"T EVEN DRINK COFFEE before everyone starts with the COPS AND DONUTS THING.

Here is my thing. If I pull over a DR or a Nurse or a CON ED worker I would prob give them a break. Depends on what kind of DR but I would prob give them a warning. They just saved themselves prob $100 so I don't want to here that they don't get breaks. I priced DR's get tickets to events that we can't go too. Con Ed is just Con ED and I feel that they remember stuff so if one day I need them in my TOWN during a storm they may come a little faster if they remember. If they don't, they don't. I Believe that we have to take care of each other. Yes some of us get paid fairly well but this is WESTCHESTER and the prices don't seem to go down. So if I can go into a DELI and not pay as much for my sandwich as the guy behind me that works at IBM so be it. He made his choice to sit in an OFFICE and I made my choice to HELP THE PUBLIC.

When someone hands me something for free, I rarely turn it down.

When someone asks me to pay normal price, I'll never complain.

..and perhaps that's how it should be? Don't expect it but be glad if its offered and accept it graciously.

feraldan Posted

When someone hands me something for free, I rarely turn it down.

When someone asks me to pay normal price, I'll never complain.

..and perhaps that's how it should be? Don't expect it but be glad if its offered and accept it graciously.

very well said

Personally, I would rather pay the money than have to put my name, shield, dept. down on any piece of paper. I will pay the money and see my movie in peace.

y?? ...i have saved HUNDREDS on free tickets, why pay if its free???

like larry the cable says, its like wipin before you poop, it just doesn't make any sense!

Another perspective with the whole free thing...

When someone offers me something free, I turn it down politely and ask to pay for it. I used to be the guy who would take anything on the arm, but I changed my tune. Here's why.

I am paid by the taxpayers, that is a simple fact. I do not want anyone to have the impression that I am TAKING anything from anyone. Taking stuff for free can have the implication that we will at some point return that favor. It is not good to be beholden to anyone as a public servant. In my mind, its just a bad idea.

In addition, we recently had our top wage earners in the department published. We make pretty damn good money, and I want each and every taxpayer and voter thinking only good thoughts about my fire department when its time to elect the select board. If the wrong person sees us getting stuff for free, they can easily form the wrong opinion. (WTF, those damn firemen made over $100k last year, why are they getting their coffee for free???!!!)

I don't want that. It is all about perception. You never know who is behind you in line, or who you are talking to. If I can make small changes in my behavior that could keep our staffing at decent levels, sign me up. In this line of work, our jobs are NEVER secure.

STAT, just a question.

For your situation, that seems very appropriate and like a good attitude to have.

But I'm a volunteer. It costs me money to respond to calls and there's no financial gain involved. If I walk into a deli with an EMS or Fire shirt on and the owner offers to pay for my sandwich, what exactly is he going to expect in return? If he has some sort of medical emergency, I'm already going to help him. If his establishment catches on fire, we're already going to respond.

I'm not going to say, that bastard didn't give me a wedge for free, let it burn. And he's not going to hand me it and think, "Now I'm protected in the event of an emergency!"

Its pretty rare that I get offered something. I think its only happened two or three times. And I'm certain the person was just acting out of charity as a way to say, "Thanks, you guys do a lot for the community."

If I was a store owner and I offered someone something, that would be my mindset. By the same token, if every volunteer within 100 miles started coming over and flashing a badge or ID, I think I'd be slightly irritated that my generosity was being taken advantage of. For that reason, I won't even tell my co-volunteers if I get a deal like that. I don't want that particular person's kind act to become an obligation. If he offers, he does. If he doesn't, he doesn't. Nor is he expected to.

As for behavior such as running around flashing a badge and expecting something for it, that's a out of line in my opinion. It doesn't matter if you're a cop, fireman or EMT. Don't expect it, just be happy if you do and be sure to thank the person for it.

[Not to be a blog buster, But there is legislation infront of the STATE not just NYC that all Firefighter/EMTs/Paramedics and Police Officers ride Our Bridges Tunnels and Trains Free.