Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
grumpyff

Loaner Apparatus: Pleasantville's borrowed ladder..

14 posts in this topic

With Pleasantville's Tower Ladder 5 out of service now for a while, and being projected to not return for another 2 to 3 months, they have just placed into service this 1980 100' Maxim straight stick. It is ex-Ware, MA Ladder 1. It will respond as 'TL-5'. Not sure who currently owns the rig, but it was provided by the company doing the service on the real 'TL5".

post-917-1185543106.jpg

what is wrong with tower ladder 5 that it is going to be out of service for 2 to 3 months

Gotta love them classics-they take a lickin and keep on tickin.... ;);)

It is being loaned by New England Fire Equipment who just delivered Wassaics tanker, Yonkers 3 rearmounts and are building Trucks for Mt Kisco and Port Chester.

They should buy old Rye Ladder 26 we used to let Port Chester borrow it. Better yet wait until the new one comes in (real soon) and borrow the old one a 2001 it's in better shape then that Maxim

From what I've heard, there was some type of problem with the boom operating without the outriggers in place.

Interesting...

I heard an announcement the other night about this and was like, "huh?"

Glad to see P'ville was able to secure a loaner, hopefully TL5 comes back to them soon.

Too bad they couldn't keep it as a second piece, with the glut of tower ladders in Mt Pleasant. That Maxim looks quick to set up, and could get into some very tight spots in the area(driveways), that a tower ladder would never go.

It is nice to get a spare when you need it. Here in Bergen Co. NJ the county has started to pick up a few rigs over the past few years. At this time they 3 ladder's and 5 or 6 engine's at the training center with other SOC stuff as well. The county has been loaning out the rigs to any dept. within Bergen Co. who has a piece out of service for any amount of time. Maybe more counties should start to do this program.

If a dept. is replacing a piece they should donate it to the county and let them paint it and use it for training and if a dept. needs a spare it is there for them. This would help with not having to put a whole company out of service for any time and would cut down on M/A to fill the void.

Here is a link from Mike's web page of some of the unit's that Bergen Co. has they have engine just not shown. http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...e%20Academy.htm

Just my 2 cents

Chris

Too bad they couldn't keep it as a second piece, with the glut of tower ladders in Mt Pleasant. That Maxim looks quick to set up, and could get into some very tight spots in the area(driveways), that a tower ladder would never go.

It is for sale at www.nefea.com

It is nice to get a spare when you need it. Here in Bergen Co. NJ the county has started to pick up a few rigs over the past few years. At this time they 3 ladder's and 5 or 6 engine's at the training center with other SOC stuff as well. The county has been loaning out the rigs to any dept. within Bergen Co. who has a piece out of service for any amount of time. Maybe more counties should start to do this program.

If a dept. is replacing a piece they should donate it to the county and let them paint it and use it for training and if a dept. needs a spare it is there for them. This would help with not having to put a whole company out of service for any time and would cut down on M/A to fill the void.

Here is a link from Mike's web page of some of the unit's that Bergen Co. has they have engine just not shown. http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/other...e%20Academy.htm

Just my 2 cents

Chris

I hear our old E119 that is now E19 in Maywood may become a spare? Any truth to this?

Why is it being called TL-5? L-5 is available ("Reserved"). I think that would better describe the truck. Someone might ask for (and need) a Tower-Ladder and if someone dosent remember that the true TL-5 is OOS, could send this truck instead of what was needed.

We originally wanted to call it Ladder-39, which is the number of the stick we had 30 years ago. Unfortunately, that number is reserved and its too much of a deal to change the cad system, or at least thats what I was told. Tower 5 originally went out because none of the boom saftey mechanisms worked, you could move the boom with out engaguing high idle, you could move it with out the outriggers down, stuff like that. They tracked it down to the contact rings on the turntable. Unfortunately, it currently seems that the parts will be on back order for some time. But this replacement is great. It needs some tlc but she runs well. The stick also works great, it moves really fast and is very simple to operate. Shes not Tower5, but she'll do for now

I hear our old E119 that is now E19 in Maywood may become a spare? Any truth to this?

I think they are placing an order for an Engine but not sure when. I will check with someone over there and let you know.