Followers 0
Geppetto

No decision on halted Mount Vernon Fire Department promotions

23 posts in this topic

No decision on halted Mount Vernon fire department promotions

By DESIREE GRAND

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: July 31, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON -A city firefighter whose promotion was put on hold after protests from the Vulcan Society of Westchester now has very little chance of becoming a lieutenant this year.

Firefighter Joseph Carroll, a 20-year veteran, said he was assured by city officials this month that he would be promoted but that the move was put on hold after a letter was sent to the city from the fraternal organization for black firefighters alleging that the city was passing over black candidates.

A new Civil Service list - which ranks the candidates for promotion according to test scores - has been released a week after promotions were halted. Carroll, who was second on the expired list, slipped substantially in the new rankings.

"I'm sick over it," said Carroll, who is white. "It is something that should have not happened and has put a curveball in my career."

Mayor Ernest Davis said he understands Carroll's disappointment but that he had to halt the two scheduled promotions to check out the group's claim. The mayor said the group claimed the promotions were violating a consent decree agreed upon by the Vulcans and fire departments in the county.

A Vulcan lawsuit charging discriminatory hiring practices in Mount Vernon, Yonkers, White Plains and New Rochelle resulted in a 1981 consent decree in which those cities agreed to conduct recruitment drives to ensure minorities were given a fair chance at Civil Service fire service employment.

"I thought he (Carroll) was a very nice person and heard from fire officials that he was a good firefighter," Davis said. "I empathize with someone in that position."

Alfarid Salahuddin, a captain in the department and member of the society, said the group's original objection was that the promotions were not officially announced.

Once the group learned of the promotions, it argued that promoting the two men would not be following the consent decree. The group said it had reason to believe the men are not city residents. Carroll is not a city resident, but he has fulfilled the department's residency requirement during the first years of his service.

Salahuddin, a 26-year veteran, said the importance of the decree is still relevant in the department.

Noah Lighty, president of Local 107 of the International Association of Firefighters, said he hopes the number of firefighters can be increased in the city charter.

"If so, then we would have more supervisor positions and there would be more room to grow within the department," he said. "Unfortunately, when you don't get promoted you have to hope you do well in the test given in the next few years."

The other firefighter still is ranked high in the new list.

Carroll, who is also a firefighter in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, said he is consulting with civilian and military lawyers. He said the city should have also halted the releasing of the new list while the group's claims were investigated.

"The bottom line, someone needs to look at the validity of Vulcans decree," Carroll said. "It shouldn't matter what your race is to get promoted."

This absolutely sucks - Jody deserved it!

stay strong, Carroll! i told you before you're not alone in the battle. you got all the support in the world! You'll get there!

The Vulcans will learn soon enough that they cant always manipulate the system by using the race cards....their claims are a joke

Once the group learned of the promotions, it argued that promoting the two men would not be following the consent decree. The group said it had reason to believe the men are not city residents. Carroll is not a city resident, but he has fulfilled the department's residency requirement during the first years of his service.

NOW that is a BS reason. <_< Got to be more to this!!!!

Edited by DR104

so it sounds like Firefighter Carroll is being discriminated against because he is white... so who is the leader of the Vulcan Society Mr. Spock???

and

it shouldnt matter what race you are, who ever is best qualified for the position is who should get promoted.

Has there been a change in the way Lt's are selected? The article makes it sound like they are using test now, but before there was a different method. Never met you FF Carroll, but good luck and keep up the fight.

Dont back down jody keep fighting the good fight . you will come out on top

It should always be the best qualified for the job. And, if promotions are held up, the new list should be suspended. What a bunch of crap!! :angry: :angry:

Mayor Ernest Davis said he understands Carroll's disappointment

Now THAT is funny! :D

FF Carroll got SCREWED and all Mayor Davis can say is he "understands" ?

Why the push for the new list so fast?

The ink was not dry on the paper.

If the Mayor "understands" then do something to get FF Carroll what he earned.

FF CARROLL DESERVES THE PROMOTION!

Oh, one more thing.......

Publication: Westchester County Business Journal

Publication Date: 31-OCT-05

Delivery: Immediate Online Access

Author: Stableford, Joan

Article Excerpt:

For employees who have suffered from discrimination in the workplace, either in government or with a big corporation, they don't have to look far for a legal advocate.

Jonathan Lovett, a White Plains attorney, has established a well-known practice over the past two decades, fighting for the little guy and taking on the big guns in corporate America and high-powered government in high-profile cases. His practice specializes in federal civil rights litigation, public-sector disciplinary defense, employment discrimination and labor law.

"This work brings me a lot of satisfaction. Yes, they are high-profile cases where I am representing the underdog. It's nice to beat city hall," Lovett said.

Lovett, 60, said he became a lawyer, probably because it was in his genes--he has two attorneys in the family--his father and one sister. Lovett said he was influenced on his chosen career path as a litigator partly after taking classes at Columbia Law School with an impressive litigator, Jack Weinstein, now a federal judge in the eastern New York judicial district.

A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Columbia University Law School in 1971, he was admitted to the New York Bar in 1972. From 1971 to 1975, he worked as an assistant district attorney in New York County, from 1975 to 1977 as a senior assistant district attorney.......

End of Story!

Mayor Ernest Davis said he understands Carroll's disappointment

Now THAT is funny! biggrin.gif

FF Carroll got SCREWED and all Mayor Davis can say is he "understands" ?

Why the push for the new list so fast?

The ink was not dry on the paper.

If the Mayor "understands" then do something to get FF Carroll what he earned.

FF CARROLL DESERVES THE PROMOTION!

Oh, one more thing.......

Publication: Westchester County Business Journal

Publication Date: 31-OCT-05

Delivery: Immediate Online Access

Author: Stableford, Joan

Article Excerpt:

For employees who have suffered from discrimination in the workplace, either in government or with a big corporation, they don't have to look far for a legal advocate.

Jonathan Lovett, a White Plains attorney, has established a well-known practice over the past two decades, fighting for the little guy and taking on the big guns in corporate America and high-powered government in high-profile cases. His practice specializes in federal civil rights litigation, public-sector disciplinary defense, employment discrimination and labor law.

"This work brings me a lot of satisfaction. Yes, they are high-profile cases where I am representing the underdog. It's nice to beat city hall," Lovett said.

Lovett, 60, said he became a lawyer, probably because it was in his genes--he has two attorneys in the family--his father and one sister. Lovett said he was influenced on his chosen career path as a litigator partly after taking classes at Columbia Law School with an impressive litigator, Jack Weinstein, now a federal judge in the eastern New York judicial district.

A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Columbia University Law School in 1971, he was admitted to the New York Bar in 1972. From 1971 to 1975, he worked as an assistant district attorney in New York County, from 1975 to 1977 as a senior assistant district attorney.......

End of Story!

Jonathan Lovett used to be the county attorney. He is a great lawyer and loves nothing more than sticking it to the man!

A. Who the f**k really wants to live in Mount Vernon?!

B. Nice to see Bow-Tie Ernie is "empathetic."

C. Disappointed to hear a solid firefighter and excellent teacher isn't getting the promotion that he not only deserves, but would benfit the MVFD and the people they are suppost to protect.

Best of luck to you Jody, I hope this all works out for you, whether you get your Lieutenant promotion or the City of Mount Vernon has to name streets after you!!!

Personally I'd like to see you get both! :lol:

Sounds to me the Vulcan Society is promoting Reverse Discrimination.

What ever happened to "the most qualified for the job?"

I remember when Mt Vernon was dropping the requirement for High School diplomas.

Jody is well qualified. I'm sure we all know he's an excellant instructor and a seasoned firefighter.

(makes a good hot dog too!)

funny how the fire chief is a former president of the vulcans, his brother in law filed the paperwork that stopped the promotion and signed it as the president of the vulcans, funny how the push was on for the new list and the fire chiefs other brother in law is #5 on the list and also is in the chain of command for the vulcans! something stinks here!

[

quote name='Bababoosky' date='Aug 1 2007, 05:23 PM' post='98865]

funny how the fire chief is a former president of the vulcans, his brother in law filed the paperwork that stopped the promotion and signed it as the president of the vulcans, funny how the push was on for the new list and the fire chiefs other brother in law is #5 on the list and also is in the chain of command for the vulcans! something stinks here!

PEEYEEEWWW!!! It sure does!!!!!!!!

Bababooski,

Stinks like a Port-a-John on a Hot August afternoon?

YES, IT DOES!

I guess at this point I have to agree with the vulcans, yes I don't live in the city and maybe anyone who doesn't live in the city should not ever be promoted to any officer rank, in fact for those vulcan members who live outside of the city first thing tomorrow put your lieutenants badges and the new president of the vulcans put your captains badge on the chiefs desk tomorrow because you are going against what you believe in! oh, this makes it not right for the#5 person on the new list who is a vulcan and in the chain of command for the vulcans not eligible to be promoted to lieutenant! what a shame because the #5 guy busted his butt in the books working hard to do well on the test. man am I getting confused on what the vulcan decree really is in place for and what the vulcans really stand for. a member of the vulcans is stabbing these guys in the back also with his own opinions. THATS BROTHERHOOD AT ITS BEST!!!!

Screw the vulcans...

they turned what could have been a potentially peacefuly fraternal organization (no different than the Emeralds or the Columbians) into an self serving extremist racist group. they just dont think, and instead, they go out, make BS claims with no credibility, and use color as a way to manipulate the system, FOR THEMSELVES!

In the New York Times this morning....

A Promotion Put Off in the Name of Equity

MOUNT VERNON

New York Times

By DAVID McKAY WILSON

Published: August 12, 2007

JOSEPH J. CARROLL has been a firefighter here for 19 years and was in line last month to be promoted to lieutenant, which pays about $84,000 a year, a 17 percent raise.

“I love my job, and I’ve spent a lot of time doing the right thing there,” said Mr. Carroll, 47, of Montrose, who is also an instructor at the county’s fire academy.

But the promotion of Mr. Carroll, who is white, did not go through. The Vulcan Society of Westchester, a fraternal organization of black firefighters, complained that the process violated a 26-year-old consent decree aimed at increasing the percentage of blacks in the department.

The decree settled a federal discrimination lawsuit filed in 1978 by the society, which charged the fire departments in Westchester’s four largest towns — Mount Vernon, White Plains, New Rochelle and Yonkers — with discriminating against blacks in hiring, promotion and testing procedures.

The decree set hiring goals to have the percentage of black firefighters equal the percentage of blacks in the labor force between the ages of 18 and 44 in each town, based on the latest census.

The departments are also supposed to try to have their officer’s ranks reflect the racial makeup of the firefighting force.

In Mount Vernon, the 2000 census shows a population of 18- to 44-year-olds that is 28 percent white, 60 percent black and 12 percent Hispanic. The city’s Fire Department is 46 percent white, 50 percent black and 4 percent Hispanic. Of its officers, 69 percent are white and 31 percent are black.

According to the decree, an approved list of qualified candidates for promotion under state Civil Service law remains in force for two years, unless the Vulcans agree to extend it.

The list that Mr. Carroll was on took effect on July 19, 2004, and was extended by the city’s Civil Service Commission last summer through July 19 of this year. But the Vulcans said they had never approved the extension.

The problem started early last month, when the extended list was about to expire. There were two openings for lieutenants, and with the approval of the firefighters’ union, Mayor Ernest D. Davis scheduled interviews with the top two firefighters on the list — Mr. Carroll and Jason Chase, 35, of Eastchester, who is also white.

But when the two men came to the mayor’s office on July 5, they were greeted by several Vulcan members, who had a letter protesting the process.

The Vulcans noted that a new Civil Service test had been given in March, and a new list based on that test was about to be certified. They also noted that they had not agreed to the extension of the old list, as required under the decree.

“The mayor was taken by complete surprise,” said John P. DiBlasi, Mr. Davis’s chief of staff. “But after we heard the objections, we thought the wisest way was to allow the new test to come out.”

Mr. Chase is third on the new list, while Mr. Carroll slipped to 16, said the secretary of the Civil Service Commission, Rita Roque. The top five firefighters, one of whom is black, are being considered for the two lieutenant slots. No date has been set for the appointments, Mr. DiBlasi said.

“I’m 16 and I might as well be 1,600,” Mr. Carroll said. “I’m just sick about it.”

Mr. Chase, who has 11 years on the force, said, “I’ve got a shot.”

Mr. Carroll said that he would like to see the consent decree revisited. The Vulcans, however, oppose any such effort.

“We still need it because the goals haven’t been met,” said Al-Farid Salahuddin, a captain in the Mount Vernon Fire Department and a member of the Vulcans. “The Fire Department is supposed to reflect the racial makeup of the community, and it still doesn’t.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/nyregion.../12topicwe.html

After reading that times article, I am speechless. The Vulcans get wind of promotions THEN start screaming?? RWC130 said it best, this Stinks like a Port-a-John on a Hot August afternoon. :angry: :angry:

In all seriousness, this "Decree" been in effect for this long and it's "goals" have still not been reached? Definitly stinks to me.

I am totally speechless which is really hard for me to be. I really don't know what to say. Whatever I do say will come out wrong and I will be called a racist when in Reality I am a REALIST. This world is so tainted. Can a WHITE PERSON join the VULCAN SOCIETY? Just curious because I know that a BLACK PERSON CAN JOIN ANY SOCIETY they want. How can these people work together? I would hate knowing that one of my BROTHER FIREFIGHTERS was blocking my PROMOTION because they want to get ONE OF THEIR OWN IN THERE. TOTAL BS. MAYOR DAVIS is a CROOK and A SKELL.

HUDSON you are off your rocker. Why do you need to live in the CITY to be a LT? You think that all the Bosses in FDNY live in the CITY? What about Yonkers, New Ro or any other job for that matter. That in itself is discrimination. LOVETT is an excellent LAWYER and I can see him taking this all the way. There should be a stop on the LT position until this sorted out.

Hudson144,

You need to join the VULCAN SOCIETY! lol

Good luck Brother!

:D