Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD201

Texas (2) LODD's

14 posts in this topic

KENNETH DEAN

Tyler Morning Telegraph

Two volunteer firefighters were killed this morning when a burning home in Flint collapsed on them, said Smith County Fire Marshal Jim Seaton. Two others were sent to East Texas Medical Center.

The identities of the deceased are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Seaton said Flint-Gresham VFD, responding to a 911 call, arrived at the home on Old Jacksonville Highway just south of FM 346 at 1:43 a.m.

Firefighters called for help from Bullard and Noonday VFDs and two entered to attack the flames. Once inside, communications with the men were lost.

Seaton said when Noonday volunteers then entered the house, the roof collapsed, causing a backdraft.

Two died at the scene, Seaton said.

"They died gallantly trying to put out the fire," Seaton said at the scene. "This is a blow and devastating to the entire firefighting community, especially among the volunteer firefighting department."

Seaton said these are the first deaths of volunteer firefighters in county history.

The occupants of the home escaped after a fire alarm went off.

Huge flames were seen shooting from the roof. The home was destroyed.

The cause is not immediately known.

State and city of Tyler fire investigators remain on the scene this morning. State Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents arrived on the scene in the 7 a.m. hour to participate in the investigation.

At daybreak, firefighters could be seen consoling one another. Behind them, smoke was rising from the charred debris. Firefighters remain on scene to extinguish "hot spots" in the blaze's aftermath. The Old Jacksonville Highway south of Gresham remains closed this morning. Officials were urging motorists to take an alternate route.

TylerPaper.com is following the story, and will post more details as they become available.

Republished with permission of Tyler Morning Telegraph

Firehouse.com

May you rest in peace brothers. Think of these guys tonight at Ossining. We March to Honor the brothers who have passed.

Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the friends and families of these heroes, and to the Flint-Gresham VFD.

Rest in Peace, Brothers.

R.I.P Our Brothers

Rest in Peace, Brothers

OMG Not another one! Rest in Peace Brothers. And my sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the lost and injured!!

Rest in peace brothers... The number of LODDs this year is really scaring me.

Prayers and condolences to the families, friends and fellow firefighters. The numbers just keep getting higher and it seems nothing changes...

My sympathies and condolences go out to their family and brother firefighters. Rest in peace, Brothers.

Heavens ranks once again have increased. May they rest in peace.

I pray to thee almighty and just, that these brave men's families are comforted, and that their deaths are not in vain.

Fallen

Rest now my fallen brother

Lay soft your suffering back

Rest well and forever

Your memory shall not lack

Rest your tired hands

Wipe clean your weary brow

Rest with St. Florian

Your spirit now endowed

Rest here your breaking heart

We know you gave your all

Rest easy, you’ve done your part