Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Outta Wack

14 posts in this topic

Let's say you've been relocated on mutual aid to cover a town you're not too familiar with. While on standby, you get dispatched to a reported basment fire, with possible entrappment, and pull up to see this with light smoke showing from Exposure D/4. What are your thoughts? What are some concerns of yours relating to the structure?

post-11-1186166959.jpg

That the joker is back in town and this is probably his new hideout?

Well, look at the front door. Its not to straight, now is it? Look at some of the bricks on the building. Looks like some apartments are empty.

I'm not a firefighter, nor EMS worker or in any type of rescue occupation, but ,I am a human being. I wouldn't want to walk in to that house to visit "anyone" given how the outside of the building looks. :unsure:

Aside from the crooked front door, or is the door straight and the building crooked.. Given the age of the age of the building, what type of construction is it, is there potential for extension through voids,or ballon framing?

What kind of access does the first crew in have to the basement? Is the a secondary way out if things go bad? I do not see any windows on the front of the building. Also the foundation has the appearance of stone/brick, not concrete..haow stabile will it be under fire load? Now add in water streams..what affect will that have on the foundation?

What kind of renovations have been made to this structure during its lifetime that can affect its stability/strength?

If there is extension will my crews be able to access the roof if needed with the wires close to the front of the building?

On the left side of the building is that a fire escape just barely visible...what condition is it in.. Are residents self evacuating on it?

Edited by grumpyff

Also looking at the overhang up by the roof. While I am sure they were strong and reliable back in the day, I don't like the idea of an aging granite overhang 30-40 feet above my head.

It looks like it settled.........I would hope that someone from the building dept took a look at this. Is this house/bldg in Yonkers?

I guess the white picket fence goes with the house crooked

and I thoughs would be where are the outside acces to the basement (Windows how big are they, Back Door,) How far down does the basement go and how many apartments are in the down stairs 1, 5, 10,??? (You never know these days)

its not a granite over hang its a cornice typically made of wood or light metals. this is a hazard when it comes to fire spread, conlaspe when operating on the roof and especially when you are getting off the aerial. This is an occupied multiple dwelling, this based on the shades. From the looks of the building, this building is most likely an old law layout and will typically have access to the basement from the interior and wooden stairs. So if there is the first line must be stretched to the interior stairs for protection and the second line through any possible exterior entrenance or down the interior to the fire. A well placed hose line saves more lives than anything else.

its not a granite over hang its a cornice typically made of wood or light metals. this is a hazard when it comes to fire spread, conlaspe when operating on the roof and especially when you are getting off the aerial. This is an occupied multiple dwelling, this based on the shades. From the looks of the building, this building is most likely an old law layout and will typically have access to the basement from the interior and wooden stairs. So if there is the first line must be stretched to the interior stairs for protection and the second line through any possible exterior entrenance or down the interior to the fire. A well placed hose line saves more lives than anything else.

Ok, thank you for that clarification. I only took a quick peek at it (was on my way out of the house and wanted to throw my 2 cents in).

I was also thinking of similar constructions I have seen using granite, brownstone, etc....

LOL. He should have had a few Johnny Walker's before putting that door in...either that or he had to many and was a big dude and leaned against the building a little too long.

All joking aside I'd get a good look at the rear door also. Just by looking I believe that it is the door that is off plumb when it was replaced. The masonry around the door is in good shape and looks new and most of these type of buildings I have been around or observed have a large 36" door and that looks like a 24 and vinyl. I'd still be highly suspicious of the rest of the building and wondering if the person that did the door did any other "rehab" work inside. If it was just structural I'd look for more cracks on the exterior and to the interior plaster.

The overhang with the cornice was a nice pick up and reminder by those who posted it earlier. Remember if your on the roof to stay off of it. This holds true for yankee gutters as well. Under it be wary, particulary with the granite types that are out there as someone mentioned. They are generally not held on by much as time and weather degrade their connection. I remember reading about a FDNY Captain in the early 80's I believe it was that was killed when he stopped to don his mask and a cornice stone let loose and hit him in the head.

The fence, stairs and door are level/plumb. The building has settled down on the left.

That building has been leaning like that for over 50 yrs. The door is level. You should see what its like inside. The couches have phone books under legs of couches and beds. If you ever lose a ball you know where to find it.

This place I would say is ballon frame it is allso a railroad flat. common center hall common stair well apartments run front to back. with out seeing the other sides it is a an assumtion.which we alll know makes an a$$ out of me :blink: . As Chief Dunn would say know your bluilding types