Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

Somers 75th Anniversary

29 posts in this topic

In 2006, Somers will be celebrating it's 75th Anniversary.

We were organized in 1931 as the Amawalk-Shenorock Volunteer Fire Department.

For you parade buff's, the Parade date will be May 20, 2006.

There are several other events planned starting in 2005. Check out www.somersvfd.com for info.

We will also be raffleing a Hummer and a Corvette, the night of the parade.

PASS THE WORD!!

As the birthplace of the american circus, why not raffle off an elephant that can juggle? THAT would be cool!

or that would be just a little weird.... :wink: :D

Congradulations to Somers!! Hopefully I will be at the parade...my calendar is marked, LOL

Bigdaddy muns i am with you i like the elephant that can jugle

I hope I'm still around to make it to the parade..... my dad took me to see Somers 50th Annv. back in 1981..... I was five years old, I remember only 4 things about that parade, first......it rained the whole way through, secondly, I was soooo impressed by how many fire trucks Somers had (in Katonah then we had 7, Somers had 7 Pumper alone at that point), third, Somer was great because they had a Cadilac Ambulance, and also, being very young, trying to figure out just how they got soooo many fire trucks into that little firehouse?!?!?! Little did I know there were 3 other stations.....hey what do you want? I was five!

Sooo at any rate, I think it will be cool to march in that parade.... man you guys are way ahead of the game in planning......

Hell yeah Muns...screw the Hummer and Vette, they're not practical...a juggling elephant, now thats practical!!! You're always thinking man!

Chris498, don't feel bad, i never realized how big Somers was and how many apparatus and stations they had until i started dispatching there. And even then it was quite overwhelming!

BFD1054

If anyone knows where a juggling elephant can be gotten, pass the information along. I'm sure the anniversary committee will follow up on the idea.

i found a elephant, and a juggler, just not on and the same.

Being the team player that I am, if I learn how to juggle and "fatten" up - I'll do it! :dance:

Way to take one for the team muns!

Congrats to the entire Somers Fire Department on your 75th Anniversary, and I will mark my calendar for your parade. :):lol:

Read the 1st post-

May 20, 2006

We have already received 20 replies from Companies attending! For those of you that have not sent in replies- get 'em in- placement is based on the postmark of your reply, and there were 95 invitations sent out!

Edited by RES20CUE

The Parade Date is drawing near! We have not heard from the following invitees-

Archville, Briarcliff, Continental Village, Cortlandt VAC, Danbury, Dobbs Ferry, East Fishkill, Garrison VAC, Greenwich, Harrison, Hastings, Irvington, Katonah-Bedford Hills VAC, Kent, Lake Carmel, Larchmont, Lewisboro VAC, Long Ridge, Mamaronack Town, Mamaroneck Village, Mohegan VAC, Mt Kisco VAC, New Hope, Noroton, Noroton Heights, No Highlands, No Salem VAC, No White Plains, Ossining, Patterson, Peekskill, Pelham, Portchester, Rye, Scarsdale, Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, Thornwood, Turn of the River, West Harrison, Yorktown VAC.

If anyone reading this is a member or knows anyone in these Companies/ Departments/ VAC's- Please have them reply ASAP.

This is only the 3rd Fireman's Parade ever held in Somers, and probaly will be the last. Don't miss out!!!!!! It will be a great time!

Eddie usually the vac comes with us to every parade I will find out if they got it and get back too you

Rassum frassum darn wedding plans and work. This would be an absolute home run for me to get up and picture take. Color me bummed out and disappointed.

Ossining is Going

We have not receievd a reply from Ossining FD, only Ossining VAC.

Don't Forget- Parade on Saturday, May 20th

Any Department, Company or VAC that has NOT recieved a package back with your line-up information, parade route, rules, etc.

Contact the SVFD Chief's Office at 914-248-7422.

Packages were sent to all who we received replies from.

OSSINING FD- Again, we are hearing rumors that you are coming- no reply has been received that you are coming!

BEST approach to the parade in Somers from palisades mall    :)  thanx

I'm gonna say 287 East to 684 North to exit 7 somers/purdys. Take a left onto Route 116. Head west on 116 until you see the lineup - this is if you are marching.

Otherwise, for observing only take 684 North to exit 6A Goldens Bridge/route 22. Take a left onto route 22. Make a right onto the route 138 service connection. at light take a left onto route 138. go approx 2 miles to the end and make a right onto route 100....go about 1 mile and good luck with parking. Hope to see you there - this should be a real special day.

Ossining is Going

OSSINING FD WILL BE ATTENDING ON MAY 20
OSSINING FD- Again, we are hearing rumors that you are coming- no reply has been received that you are coming!

Instead of continuously posting on here that Ossining is going, maybe an Ossining member should let their chief know that the reply has not been received and to call Eddie ASAP. It would be a shame to have Ossining there and not be expected.

Ossining Asst Chief contacted me this AM- All set, Ossining FD is in the line-up for Saturday.

With this addittion- there are now 38 Departments, Companies and VAC's attending.

There will be a Special Treat-

Somers VFD will be attending (That's Somers, CT)!!!!!!!!

Edited by RES20CUE

For those not familiar with the area, could someone please post the parade route, or at least an intersection with names that Mapquest will recognize, which is close to the start point. Thanks.

The parade starts at Route 116 AKA Purdys Road in the vicinity of Marshall Court and ends on Route 202 AKA Mill St. in the vicinity of Somerset Court.