Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jps385

Putnam Legislature votes to cut ALS

98 posts in this topic

So far I have sent two emails to the Putnam County Board of Legislators. The first when the news first came out and the second a few minutes ago.

August 9th:

RE: Your recent decision to terminate funding for Advanced Life Support

To the Board of Legislators of the County of Putnam:

Your decision to terminate funding of Advanced Life Support Services as of 1 October 2007 is a gross injustice, not only the dedicated providers of Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services, but to *ALL* residents of Putnam County!!!! What are you thinking?????? Now a precedent has been set, a step forward, and now you want to take an even bigger step backwards??? God forbid one of you or one of your loved ones suffer a life threatening illness or injury where the intervention of an Advanced Life Support/ Paramedic Unit would have made the difference between life and death!!!!!! This is a travesty of utmost proportions!!!! It is high time to take the football out of politics and put it back of the football playing field! This can NOT be a part of some political game between the Board and County Executive or anybody else! You MUST reconsider this reckless decision post haste, before it results, as it will, in an unnecessary loss of life!

Thank you for your attention in this urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Christopher D Richie

Putnam Resident and

Past Chief,

Croton Falls Fire Department

The second today:

RE: Your Reckless Decision to cut Advanced Life Services

When I first heard about this DANGEROUS decision, I sent an email. As of today, I am yet to receive the courtesy of a response. Once again, I feel, both as a firefighter whose Department covers albeit a small part of Putnam County, but also as a resident. This is an extremely irresponsible and dangerous move. If it was, as I have heard, due to some foolish Hatfield/McCoy feud, well that sounds like a silly game of Political Football! As I stated in my previous email, it's high time to take the proverbial football out of Politics and leave it on the football field! God forbid you or any of your loved ones suffer some life threatening illness or injury, and die because the Advanced Life Support (Paramedic) is no longer available in Putnam County. But I'm afraid that one or more lives will be lost before you people come to your senses and reinstate this vital service.

I would appreciate the courtesy of a response.

Sincerely,

Chris Richie,

Past Chief

Croton Falls Volunteer Fire Department

Let them have it DOC!!!! So what if the rumor of Empire going out of business has to do with anything. I think your going to see Putnam county go to Cortlandt Medics to Cover Putnam Valley, Garrison, Philpstown and Cold Spring. Then I think your going to see them bid out the rest of the county to either Empress or back to Alamo. This subject makes me think about an issue thats going on right now in Westchester with a certain City (where i live) and the neighboring Town board, having the same issue. But for now I'm with the Putnam county residents, "SAVE THE ALS PROGRAM"

Let them have it DOC!!!! So what if the rumor of Empire going out of business has to do with anything. I think your going to see Putnam county go to Cortlandt Medics to Cover Putnam Valley, Garrison, Philpstown and Cold Spring. Then I think your going to see them bid out the rest of the county to either Empress or back to Alamo. This subject makes me think about an issue thats going on right now in Westchester with a certain City (where i live) and the neighboring Town board, having the same issue. But for now I'm with the Putnam county residents, "SAVE THE ALS PROGRAM"

You may be right, but I have to wonder about a split system, rather than a County run, coutny wide system. And are the Cortlandt Medics going to hire the personnel to cover the West half of Putnam at Putnam's expence? Is the County going to pay a managrie of outfits to accomplish this?

You may be right, but I have to wonder about a split system, rather than a County run, coutny wide system. And are the Cortlandt Medics going to hire the personnel to cover the West half of Putnam at Putnam's expence? Is the County going to pay a managrie of outfits to accomplish this?

Obviously, it has to be paid for, one way or another. County lines are arbitrary distinctions. Parts of Putnam Valley would be better served by a medic coming out of Westchester than one coming out of Carmel or Philipstown. Cortlandt is a fine system under WREMSCO. I don't know if crossing regional lines makes a difference. I think we should be looking at all options and Cortlandt is an excellent one.

[i am a medic in Cortlandt and Putnam.]

Hey all...

I received a reply from Legislator Morini while I was out of town last week and she stated that they (the legislature) had been seriously misinformed on several points and would be extending the ALS contract through the end of the year while alternatives were investigated.

I have to commend her for admitting that they were misinformed. Now we just have to see what they actually do about it.

rumor has it, they met tonight and will give ALS money needed to keep it operational for the rest of the year. Money is in budget for next year for ALS so I guess we'll have to wait till Jan 1 to see what happens.

I think we should be looking at all options and Cortlandt is an excellent one.

Depends on how you look at the "Cortlandt" System in regard to the Cortlandt-Peekskill Paramedics. The system is also complicated with how Peekskill Fire Department FF/Paramedics also work in the system and adding another area in another county would have to be addressed appropriately.

One thing that I do not agree with, even as a taxpayer is the concept of a 0% tax increase. Politicians and some think this is soooo wonderful. However there are things like inflation and not to mention contractual employees whom generally always get raises and/or certainly deserve them. I'd rather see a low increase to cover increasing expenses, inflation etc. then throwing me a 0% increase BS. How many other municipalities flaunt this only to have a huge increase that can cause some to have to sell homes etc. for such a big increase instead of slow steady ones.

Per a post on another message board for Putanm County, Bob Cuomo states:

**Update**

Tonight, at a special meeting, the Putnam County Legislature unanimously approved the funding increase for the ALS system for the balance of 2007.

Also, a formal RFP process will be followed to determine if a more economical alternative can be found.

So...the matter is resolved.

Just an FYI to all - we shall see

From 1010 WINS

Local News

Posted: Tuesday, 28 August 2007 11:24AM

Putnam Finds Money to Pay for Paramedics

CARMEL, N.Y. (AP) -- Putnam County Legislators Monday approved the $165,000 needed to keep advanced life support paramedics on the road through the end of the year.

Empire Ambulance Company said it was losing money and needed the $165,000 to finish out the year. Two weeks ago, Putnam lawmakers voted against the funding. But petitions signed by doctors and nurses at the Putnam Hospital Center and comments from other citizens got the lawmakers to reverse their decision.

The paramedics offer advanced life support that volunteer emergency medical technicians can't provide.

1010 WINS