Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Manhattan - High Rise Fire w/ Collapse - FF LODD's

79 posts in this topic

May the souls of these firefighters Rest In Peace. And may the Lord be with their families, friends, and brothers in service!

When I saw the photos in the NY Post this morning it reminded me of the night of September 11th when a number of Empress personal sat on the South side of the Amex building facing this structure and fire was pouring out of almost every floor. Without the scaffolding you would not be able to tell the difference. Very very sad day!

Any of them picts online?

CBS Station WCBS correspondent Ti-Hua Chang reports that firefighters say there were no working stand pipes or pipes with water in the abandoned building, and firehoses had to be pulled by rope to the upper floors; the Fires Department has not confirmed this.

Interesting.

This question was asked earlier. Sorry, but I don't have any rundowns, as I was out of town till tonight. I only found out about this last night. I turned down OT in Manhattan yesterday as well.

PS, I am pretty sure Manhattan Boxes 9031 and 9032(Resource Deployment over the Brooklyn Bridge and the Battery Tunnel) were also transmitted due to the fact that this was a 10-76 below Chambers Street.

Fallback is placed into effect to conserve units. It is usually implemented at the direction of a Supervising Dispatcher, or one of our superiors. The computer tracks the percentage of availability of units in the Borough, and Citywide. It's mostly used when we have a situation such as numerous multiple alarms, or when we have a storm go through.

Step 2 is rarely if at all used, and I have yet to see it used in my 10 years on the job. Every two hours, the higher up in Communications(Duty Chief Dispatcher, or Deputy Director) will confer with either the Chief of Department, or the Citywide Command Chief to evaluate if we still need to be in Fallback.

Fallback step 1 is in effect every day from 0800-2300. This means if someone hits an ERS Box (the one you have to talk into) and doesn't answer back when we answer it, nobody goes. After 2300, one engine is sent, regardless of contact. The only exception to this is schools, or hospitals which get 3 and 2 and a BC 24/7.

Step 2 is what you see above, and only one engine on a pull box.

Step 3 is all of the above, and a response of one engine, one ladder and a BC to any reported structural fire.

As far as a rope stretch is concerned, this is a pretty common occurence. Although I have never heard of one that long, depending on the type of building, or lack of standpipes, CIDS information will call for a rope stretch, or what's called a bottle stretch, where the nozzle is placed in a hollowed out bleach bottle and hoisted up via rope.

Finally, RIP fellas, and my God bless you and your families.

Edited by JBE

Is there any update on the condition of the third Firefighter? Also, were there any additional injuries?

Another tragic day for the FDNY

May they rest in peace, and their families know no more sorrow.

CBS Station WCBS correspondent Ti-Hua Chang reports that firefighters say there were no working stand pipes or pipes with water in the abandoned building, and firehoses had to be pulled by rope to the upper floors; the Fires Department has not confirmed this.

Interesting.

Yeah this was happening for sure...I heard the dispatcher inform the 5th or 6th alarm units to park the apparatus, walk up to the scene with ropes and hose packs, and be prepared to stretch up the side of the building.

RIP, may God bless them and their families.

Too many...What a tragic weekend. May god bless the fallen, their families, and the entire FDNY dept. God be with them in their time of need.

Any word on the other firefighter? Was it only a broken ankle...hopefuly?

R.I.P brothers, you will be remembered.

Associated Press is reporting that a "chunk" of the standpipe system was found in the basement of the building by Fire Marshals. So much for keeping the standpipe "dry but in service."

Associated Press is reporting that a "chunk" of the standpipe system was found in the basement of the building by Fire Marshals. So much for keeping the standpipe "dry but in service."

I wonder if that would make someone with the demolition company criminally negligent?? Maybe someone should be charged with manslaughter.

Thats what the AP article was inferring, that they were "looking into" Criminally Neglegent Homicide charges.

Is there any update on the condition of the third Firefighter? Also, were there any additional injuries?

I'm not sure about this ff in particular, but there were at least 24 ff's transported for various injuries and smoke inhalation. Several ff's were treated on scene and released.

Manhattan Boxes 9031 and 9032 were transmitted.

Although the rope stetch is common. Rope stretching up 14 floors is almost unheard of especially with 3 1/2" hose. I say almost unheard of because I know Philly hand stretched LDH up the building at the Meridan Plaza fire where 3 brothers died in the early 90's.

Many painful lessons will be learned from this incident but for now our attention must go to a proper tribute to the brothers and their families.

They should have let it burn to the ground.