Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SgtGumby311

Calling all cars!

14 posts in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calling all cars, calling all cars...to Hooters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 23rd 2007, 4:00 AM

An upstate town was left completely unguarded when the bulk of the Deerpark Police Department hung out together - at Hooters, officials said yesterday.

The Hooters, a sports bar known for its buffalo wings and buxom, scantily clad waitresses, is at least a 35-minute drive away from the Orange County town of nearly 8,000 citizens.

"There was not ample coverage because of personnel reasons," Deerpark Police Chief Bill Werner admitted to the Times Herald-Record of Middletown.

Most of Deerpark's 18 cops went to the Hooters in Franklin, N.J., last Thursday.

Even more embarrassing was a handwritten flyer that circulated among the department's male officers advising of the "Hooter's Run" and telling anyone interested to notify Werner.

"All invited!" the note declared.

It was unclear if the invitation was extend to the department's three female cops.

Werner blamed the brouhaha on a scheduling snafu. He said two cops were scheduled to work the night of the Hooters outing. But one of the cops had been suspended and the other would not work the shift alone.

A state police trooper was on call to cover the town Thursday night in case of an emergency. None apparently occurred.

Edited by SgtGumby311

I wish we could shut down and go for wings.

I am absolutely speechless. What a way to service your citizens.

I fail to see the problem here. If the the Chief was that worried. He should have stepped up and offered to ride the second slot for the suspended cop. Having one trooper on is nothing diffrent than many of of the upstate towns, where that same Trooper would be covering two or three towns. Lets move on to important issues.

do you think the county would get mad if we took all the engines out of service and made a run to the city for Hooters???

I see nothing wrong with going to Hooters!

What I do see a problem with is the CHIEF of Police allowing

all manpower to be "stripped" (no pun intended) for a night

out drinking. Sorry, eating wings! Not a good boss!

Well,

atleast its not another firefighter black eye, was getting tired of those day after day.

Having one trooper on is nothing diffrent than many of of the upstate towns, where that same Trooper would be covering two or three towns. Lets move on to important issues.

Yah, up here we have village cops on in our town and schoharie, but for the rest of the COUNTY there is a handfull of Troopers and maybe sherrifs. I see no big deal either, they had more coverage than most of our towns.

An upstate town was left completely unguarded when the bulk of the Deerpark Police Department hung out together - at Hooters, officials said yesterday.

The Hooters, a sports bar known for its buffalo wings and buxom, scantily clad waitresses, is at least a 35-minute drive away from the Orange County town of nearly 8,000 citizens.

"There was not ample coverage because of personnel reasons," Deerpark Police Chief Bill Werner

Sounds like a good boss... but if he's so cool with Hooters, I can't imagine what the poor sap got suspended for?

I still don't see the issue here. The flyer was obviously intended for OFF duty MOS, not on duty. The fact is that he screwed up by not scheduling OT to cover for the modified cop, but that is not the issue here. The story makes it sound like he purposely closed the department down, he didn't. I'm just trying to figure out this 'part time cop' not feeling comfortable working 'alone'.

do you think the county would get mad if we took all the engines out of service and made a run to the city for Hooters???

Not much different then when everyone goes upstate for the HVVFA convention parade...

Hey, can we even say "Hooters" anymore? :blink:

Okay, maybe I'm missing something. If it turns out I am I will apologize for my earlier comment. How many officers were supposed to be on duty at the time of this "get together"? Was it the 2 officers, the modified and the one refusing to work alone? If so, then I agree that the issue is the Chief not following the 6 P's of planning (Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance), and making sure someone was scheduled to cover the open shift.

He got coverage.

585 hit the nail on the head. Is it any different when some have inspections and a neighboring department covers with 1 engine?

Yeah, this is a blow out of proportion non story...BTW I don't even know where in the world this freakin' place is and who cares. I mean if it happened in Yonkers that may be one thing, but are the State Police inadequate for the coverage of a small municipality? I can't even begin to imagine how many jobs this little place does per year.