Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

Another end to an era

16 posts in this topic

On Tuesday, 10/19-

The Somers Fire District voted to declare MA-13, surplus equipment and slated it for disposal.

Mini-Attack 13, an International Chassis with bodywork done by a now defunct company out of Long Island, with a 300 GPM American- Barton front mounted pump and a 250 gallon booster tank, entered service in 1966 as Engine 185.

It served Somers, as well as several other Westchester and Putnam departments well over her 38 years of service.

She was on the front line of fires on Turkey Mtn in Yorktown, Ward Pound Ridge Reservation in Pound Ridge, and Camp Smith in Continental Village, just to name a few!

As time goes by, so does our beloved older apparatus- unfortunitly 38 years has taken a toll on the ol' girl and parts are not easy to find.

She will remain in service until the new Engine arrives next week.

So as a brand new Engine 185 (our 4th) is about to be delivered, our 2nd Engine 185 is about to be disposed.

"Thanks for the memories"

Is there talk of replacing MA-13 or just getting rid of one brushtruck

you should keep it and bring it to musters with 182

During the same meeting, a committee was ordered formed to spec a new "initial attack vehicle". This new MA will replace both current brush trucks.

Seeing how the politicians in Somers, keep allowing all this construction, our woodlands are becoming non-existant. We no longer have the need for 2 Brush Trucks.

For the amount of Brush Fires we have, it is felt that an Initial Attack Vehicle would better suit the growing needs of the town. This vehicle could then function as a source pumper, brush truck, small fire (car/dumpster), EMS 1st Response (if the Ambulance ever separates from the FD).

As far as keeping it, we just don't have enough room left in the Firehouses to keep it, with the addition of the new Engine, something had to go!!

Although I am a fan of seperate brush and initial attack vehicles (ie; a standard pickup with single rear wheels and a skid mount for brush and a mini fire body on a dual wheel super duty chassis for a mini attack) I realize the need to incorporate both into one unit with our shrinking woodlands in Northern Westchester.

On friday night, Millwood E-248 transferred up to Put Valley to cover their box during a social event. In their sub station they have a great combo unit. It's a F-550 with a utility body on it and a skid mount CAFS brush/initial attack unit. 2 or 3 1.75in attack lines and a booster reel and some compartmentation. Nice rig.

If you are going to go with a mini fire body, I'm partial to our MA-10

F-350/Saulsbury with a 750gpm pump, class B foam and 1000feet of 4in hose with two crosslays.

Good luck to Somers with the new Rescue, Engine, and eventually mini-something.

Edward Smith

Captain (2254)

Millwood Fire Company

Space and maintainence are contributing factors in not keeping it.

There is a new brush truck in the budget for 2005. Upon completion of that, the current MA-14 will likely replace the current U-5.

LOL, give it a few more years and Somers won't need any brush trucks!!

My two hopes for Somers FD Brush trucks:

(although I'm not happy about the disposal of another classic)

1. Convert/Rehab 183 into a Brush truck

2. Unimog!!!

http://www.unimogtrucks.com/products/firefighting.asp

And my third hope for Somers:

3. Pierce Arrow XT 75' RM Ladder w/ 1250gpm pump and 500 gallon tank.

1. Convert/Rehab 183 into a Brush truck 

NOT HAPPENING!!! No way 183 can even make it into the woods. To many conversions to make on an 8 year old vehicle! You've been hanging around too many other people with wild ideas!! :-P

Pierce Arrow XT 75' RM Ladder w/ 1250gpm pump and 500 gallon tank.

Not gonna happen either-

1. A rear mount can't fit in 3 out of our 4 houses.

2. We only spec 1500 gpm pumps.

As far as a replacement Mini-Attack, I'm not letting the "Cat out of the Bag" yet, as to what we may be looking at. I will tell you that it will be a unique vehicle again, and may look very similiar to the current MA-13 (body wise). Of course, a few people are just thinking right now- committee has not been formed or met yet.

OK Then, LOL

( I love 183, just not as a Rescue Pumper)

Out of curiosity, would a Searave Lo-pro RM fit????

Also, by saying a "unique vehicle", I can only assume that this means Somers FD will be getting a Helicopter. 3 out of the 4 stations have the room for a helipad.....either that, or the world's first tiller-brush truck....now hows that for a crazy idea!!!

Regardless of me getting of topic, It's sad to see Somers getting rid of a piece filled with such history, but also kinda cool to see that they are getting their fleet updated. This rigs deserves a retirment party.

A Seagrave Lo-Pro may fit, however that would only be 1 and we would rather have more than 1 bid, to compare and look at.

The new "Stick" will probally be a center-mount.

As far as a "Helicopter" goes 80-Air-1 was around in 1996 (I believe)! The Distorter Reporter (oops- Reporter Dispatch) covered a story of an airplane crashing into the Muscoot Reservoir, striking high-tension power lines and killing 2(?) boaters, during our Annual Inspection, of course. The paper reported Stat-Flight as a Somers Fire District Helicopter!

Remind me- I'll show you the article!!

OH wow! I actually remember that incident. How bizzare . The wires droped and since the boaters were in an aluminum boat, they got zapped. Don't remember them calling STAT-Flight 80-Air-1 but hey, if we can have 45-Scuba-1, why not? :->

Well,

MA-13 was officially removed from service, and stripped of all it's gear on Wednesday, January 5th.

It is now in the shops awaiting disposition.

Well, she fought many good battles with the "red devil" but unfortunitly the time has come to retire her- 39 years of service to Somers, not too bad!!!

The NEW Engine 185 should be in service, by the end of the week, just trying to get a few more drivers qualified before she goes into service.

Please let me know how I can put in a bid to purchase MA-13

The disposition is totally up to the Board of Fire Commissioners, so I do not know if or when it will be up for bid.