Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Police Brutality

13 posts in this topic

On TV last night there was a show I was watching and one of the segments had to do with Police Brutality. They basically showed a couple of clips from various agencies where a person being arrested was shot, beaten or restrained for being violent. 1 of the cases showed a 300+lb AFRICAN AMERICAN MAN in Cinncinati, OH being beaten with batons over 20 times. In the video you the officers keep repeating "stop resisiting" after each strike. They showed this video to civilians on the street who were appaled to say the least. Then the show showed the whole video. When officers first arrived it showed the PERP hit one police officer. As the video played it showed him trying to grab the PR24 and one of the other officer guns. I think this guy later died as a result of an enlarged heart and large quantities of PCP and COCAINE in his system just like RODNEY KING.

Another case involved a Police officer on a traffic stop. When the officer gave the operator a Female African American she threw the ticket out of the window. He then opened the drivers door and physically removed her and attemtped to cuff her by throwing her to the ground.

Third case was an AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE holding a knife in public. There are lots of police around him. One officer comes out of nowhere and shoots the man. I think he died right there. They then showed that this person was in front of the White House and had been making advances towards the officers when he was shot. Although he was not directly looking at the officer that shot him.

The final segmet showed a WHITE FEMALE trying to put into a restraint chair. She is physically resisting and then appears to pass out. Her father happens to be the FL Attorney General or something like that. What they didn't show was that she had been placed in the chair before and got out some how. The video goes onto show that after she is "passed out" she opens 1 eye and looks around and is also moving around in the chair. EMS arrives and they do a finger stick and she winces although she is supposed to be unconscious. Of course she is suing. SHE has had multiple arrests for resisiting arrest in the past.

You prob need to see the episode or at least the videos but out of these cases how many are would you think are POLICE BRUTALITY?

How many times are you watching the news and they show a portion of a video of the POLICE BEATING a subject? Look at what is going on in YONKERS right now.

I hope they do a follow up on this show so I can see what happens.

From what I saw in the Yonkers video, the perp was resisting. There was a large number of Police Officers there to assist in the arrest. There was no brutality (in that video) They just subdued the perp, and carrying his non compliant behind to the car.

The media is every unformed public employees worst nightmare. The media has only one objective and that is to sensationalize their story. As a police officer they are either going to make you a hero or criminal. Their is no media attention for the "medicore story" ie. PO normal routine! Did anyone take notice of misinformed comments our favorite news station news12 was allowing to be aired from persons connected to the Yonkers incident. The video speaks for itself, and the YPD commissioner sided with the police officers after reviewing the videotape. He concluded that the necessary amount of force was used to overcome the resistance being used against the officers, a textbook use of force situation!!! Further, the commissioner went on to report that a YPD duty captain visited with the defendant while he was in the hospital over the weekend and he made no report of excessive force by YPD. I believe that it was not until a number of community activists groups got involved that the defendant and his family began to sensationalize their story

From preliminary reports I believe this person/menace involved in the Yonkers incident has a history (criminal), which includes resisting arrest. From personal experience these upstanding citizens who have a history of resisting arrest attempt to create a larger incident when having a non criminal interaction with a police officer (issuance of a violation summons for his dog). Specifically, these mutts if not arrested quickly will ultimately pose an immediate threat to officers because of the inciting tactics they use in an attempt to gather their cronies to the arrest scene. Large numbers of officers on scene does not equal police brutality as too often portrayed in the media, rather it shows a professional and responsive police department protecting officers and the communites these mutts live in!!

The Cinncinati video is one of the worse cases of press induced histeria by the way they edited that video. No one will every understand....and as one perp told me the other day...."all you gots to do is keep your mouth shuts and dooze what they sayz quicker then a mother[fornicator]." (actual quote altered for site policy).

The Yonkers thing is a joke. All because of this FBI inquest where every complaint has to be investigated. With a video like this it should be as simple as sitting down flipping it on and saying this complaint is bull feces. The perp is belligerent, he is running his mouth and the crowd is feeding off the frenzy. They did their job and got him off the street to quell his mouth and clear the area to let the situation cool. If jackass got up like the man he thinks his mouth makes him they wouldn't have had to carry him. And not for nothing..but kudos to the officers as well, even though it wasn't very long, they didn't have him lying prone for extended periods of time which takes positional asphyxia possibilities right out of the equation as well.

I did not see the show on TV, but from the way they are described, it doesn't sound like any of them include police brutality. If we learned nothing from LA we should have learned that no matter of the length of the video, the news will show the most damaging 30 seconds of it. We should also learn that there is no double jeopardy for Law Enforcement, if some how you are found not guilty, they will find a new and different law to charge you under and let mob rule set the stage for a bogus conviction.

I'm not familiar with the Yonkers case, but it sounds like more of the same [something that can't be typed here]

If we learned nothing from LA we should have learned that no matter of the length of the video, the news will show the most damaging 30 seconds of it. We should also learn that there is no double jeopardy for Law Enforcement, if some how you are found not guilty, they will find a new and different law to charge you under and let mob rule set the stage for a bogus conviction.

This is being played out here in San Diego with the brawl/riot this past Monday. The media only shows the officers entering the crowd and going after the group, only one has shown the bottles and other objects being thrown at the officers. This was a case of young males with lots of liquid courage and testosterone who thought they owned the beach. 2 groups of these idiots started fighting over the particular part of the beach and SDPD moved in. Then, when it all played out, the media is blasting the police for being stormtroopers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Those so-called police brutality stories are utter garbage. I wonder how people would react after seeing the whole video? That might be interesting to film. Show members of the public the 30 second news clip, get them all worked up, and then show them exactly why the cops felt the need to use force. Suddenly the "victims" seem a lot less innocent when it turns out they are career criminals that are threating the police with a weapon.

And really, if they don't want to get taken down by force or tazed, they shouldn't put themselves in the position where the police are dealing with them in the first place.

2 groups of these idiots started fighting over the particular part of the beach and SDPD moved in. Then, when it all played out, the media is blasting the police for being stormtroopers

And of course, if they didn't move in, they would have been blamed for letting the fight go on.

Edited by RC2389

NEW 12 EQUALS JOKE. I was watching this morn. You should all watch if you can tonight I am sure they are going to have the Wife or Girfriend or Mother of the person that was arrested. SHE says she is going to go to town hall everyday and protest. HOW ABOUT SHE GETS A JOB. Must be nice to live off the SYSTEM. BTW the arrestee is a KNOWN CRIMINAL with a LONG HISTORY.

About the Brutality Show. The scenario about the woman with the ticket. That was the one they said has POLICE BRUTALITY in it. No justification by the COP. Unless you consider LITTERING justfication. If that's the case. LOOK OUT WORLD.

redmack Posted Today, 11:16 AM Large numbers of officers on scene does not equal police brutality as too often portrayed in the media, rather it shows a professional and responsive police department protecting officers and the communites these mutts live in!!

This is true in my experiences. If there is a call involving a known perp who has a history of fighting with the police or a known location where there has been past incidents and it could be an increased officer hazard often more cops are sent. However people, including some media love to twist the presence of increased manpower as a form of police brutality or intimidation when the truth of the matter is we want to make sure we all go home safe at the end of the tour and the public has enough protection.

Of course, there have been documented incidents of Police brutality, and it is a problem sometimes. I think we can all agree that Abner Louima was a bit too much.

But it's bad cops, and a media that makes cops look evil, that cause these "brutality" complaints. And there are the cops on a power trip or that have a bad attitude, sometimes rightfully so. But there are many kinds cops out there, and they rarely get reconized.

What the media doesn't understand, is that each officer wants to go home alive each night. Often, the details of what led up to the scuffle aren't divulged by those filing the complaint or making a ruckus.

I feel that Tazers are one of the best revolutions in Law Enforcement. When used with a proper policy in place, and proper training and appplication, a Tazer can quickly and safely end a situation. In addition, the Dash Cam, or maybe even in the not so distant future, a "badge cam" with audio can be a tremendous tool in documenting what happened.

However, there's the problem of the "masses". I've worked in systems where we've responded to a stabbing, with limited PD on scene due to "budgetary constraints". It's a hot summer night, and everyone's out on the street. It's very urban, with high crime, unemployment, gang violence, and drug usage rates, all which combine to make a violence potion. You're treating the victim, and a crowd swarms you- screaming why aren't you moving faster, what took you so long, you're not giving him proper treatment because he's black and you're white. They get hostile. And even though you're working as fast and best as you can, the public doesn't see that. They expect you to perform a miracle, or literally scoop and run. No time for a quick assesment or to immobilize, etc. And then, there's always the threat of the person who commited the violence retalliating against you. So what ends up happening is you have to litterally "scoop and run", or else you're going to have a bigger problem on your hands. What does this have to do with Police Brutality? Public perception. They don't care or see if the guy's a convicted murderer who clocked you in the face, they see the guy in uniform defending himself, and base their perception on that alone.

And, I'm sure that adreanaline sometimes pushes the situation, but I know most cops don't beat someone randomly.

Police Departments need to do more proactively to show what they're all about and why they do what they do. Citizens Police Academies, ride alongs, explorer posts, fairs, etc all contribute to public eduation as to what the police do and why.

I heard that news 12 wouldn't give an unedited version of the amateur video to the police dept prior to asking Commissioner Hartnett to comment on the event. They will still only allow the YPD to see the edited version and are keeping proper justice from being done. News 12 once again is stepping over the line and taking sides so they can have a "BIG" story and get people to watch. Be fair...show the whole tape cause then you will see real brutality! Him and his wife not complying and telling the cops they were worthless.

BTW this all started when the perp's dog pooped on a city sidewalk and the officers (witnesses) attempted to stop the man and ask him to clean it up. He got loud and they were going to write him a summons...and you know the rest of the story!

What is News 12's goal here? To create more animosity...to allow society to become reckless and lawless????

What they are showing is be belligerent, don't follow the laws of the land...if the police stop you, we will back you up by putting you on television! That is some ish, huh?

Police Departments need to do more proactively to show what they're all about and why they do what they do. Citizens Police Academies, ride alongs, explorer posts, fairs, etc all contribute to public eduation as to what the police do and why.

We have OPEN HOUSE EVERY YEAR but that doesn't tell people what we do. They see some equipment eat free food and that is it. People don't care about what police do. Ride alongs are a liabiliy so that won't happen. The bottom line is THAT POLICE ARE HATED. That's it. We give tickets, arrest people and screw up traffic whenever there is an accident or when construction is being done. Of course that is my fault right? Everyone forgets about when we have to go to your house in the middle of the night because your alarm goes off or your kid is missing or somebody just harrassed you in some way or etc... But as for everything else it doesn't matter. Does it bother me, maybe a little but I won't lose sleep over it. I chose my profession. I knew what the deal was. I agree Seth's post other than what is above. So in a nutshell. The MEDIA makes it SOOO BAD for US. OH well.

Sadly, people only remember the things that stand out. Just like how it only rains when you have off or more crazy poopy happens on full moons, our brains remember things that we can link or stand out from the norm alot better and assign extra importance to them. Seeing someone tazered or lumped up stands out. The two dozen times you calmly arrest someone doesn't stand out.

I missed the brutality show, but I believe I have seen those videos. The woman who was tazered for littering was definitely brutal...brutally funny. If I had seen that video the officer gave the woman many attempts to comply, then repeatedly ordered her out of the car. After she refused to exit the vehicle and resisted he attempts to force her from the car he repeatedly warned her, that he would tazer her if she would not exit the vehicle. If he hadn't zapped her he would have been a liar, and I am strongly against dishonesty. Personally I would rather get tazed then catch a few raps on the leg from a baton. The officer did her a service.