Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westchester County Fire Exam: Anybody Have Results Yet?

54 posts in this topic

i'm just curious if there are any updates with the last WC fire test from June? I know ppl said it could take up to 6 months, but i'm just anxious to hear if there is anything new?

Thats pretty funny, I came on tonight to pose the same exact question. I took it as well and have not heard anything yet. Im taking it no one else had either?

I took the test as well, and i heard nothing

I wouldn't expect to hear anything until late December / early January.

Just to bump this up and ask If any results came in yet. I have heard rumors that in the next week they should be coming out???

I just took the Denver Regional test and I get my results within 5 days. I dont know why the county takes so long to get the results out.

Check your mail, several folks I know received theirs today.

I just heard a rumor that the top 3 spots on the Peekskill residency list are females, 2 of them I personally know - Congtrats to K.P and K.P.!

Does anyone know how they do the rankings, because I got the same score as someone I know and I am ranked 40 places higher??

Does anyone know how they do the rankings, because I got the same score as someone I know and I am ranked 40 places higher??

In many cases, (I do not know if WCCS uses this method), tie scores are ranked in the order which your application was received when you applied for the exam.

In many cases, (I do not know if WCCS uses this method), tie scores are ranked in the order which your application was received when you applied for the exam.

Well, in the case that "ryefd192" mentioned, the two applications were handed in at the County building at precisely the same moment... are certain questions weighted differently to aid in the ranking process?

haha I got mine today . . . and I would probably be happyer If i didnt see my score . . oh well

So is anyone going to post their grades?

My brother got a 90%.

So is anyone going to post their grades?

My brother got a 90%.

Well, maybe the only chance I get to show off for a while. 3 points lower than 4 years ago - but I still ended up with 95% this time. I literally applied last minute - mailed it on the Sunday before the deadline for the postmark. Probably lost a few places in that so I'm ranked 15th.

Realistically though, I don't see me getting on any department for a while - I'll need to win the lottery to live off the starting pay from a Westchester Dept, given my current family & financial situation ......

All the grades so far appear to be as if they are zone scoring, ex 100, or 95 or 90 ect, so if a dept has a residency list and 20 people have 100 they all must be interviewed and are treated as equal. #1 and # 20 are the same. I believe this is how it was done last time. Don't forget the agility will take some people off the list.

How far in rank do they normally go down the list when departments hire within the 4 year time frame?

anyone know how many people tookm the exam?

I am still waiting hopefully tomorrow i will get mine

I got a 90 and I'm ranked 124 and I turned in my app the day you could at like 10 am. So I dont know if that many people turned it in before me or that many people got a 95.

I also got a 90 and am ranked 61, I know one other person who got a 90 who is ranked 100th

It's probably the same for the fire exam as it is for the police exam. They use "banding" of grades... Everyone with a 100-100+ is one "band", everyone with 95-100 is another and so on... When you submitted the application probably doesn't enter into the ranking. I think for people with the same score they use social security numbers for ranking (at least that's what they used to do on PD tests).

Departments must canvas one band before moving on to the next so they can canvas blocks of people before actually selecting anyone. I know some PD's canvas 25 people at a time even when they're only hiring for a few positions.

Good luck!

Edited by Chris192

I find this very interesting. Can someone who is on a county fire job explain more specifically how this process goes, cause I'm extremely confused. From what I gather from the other posts, you individuals are not actually getting your exact score? Why do they band scores together? Also, how do they distinguish which list you go on? For example, if you live in Yonkers, took the test, are you more likly to get called for the southern departments (Scarsdale, Hartsdale, Greenville)? Or does every department get the same list, pick their guys and its up to the individual to pick which department he wants? Is there a way to find out your exact score? What list number is usually a cut off for being hired for the county list? Whats the next steps after the written, other than the agility? Do they also do medicals and such? Or are they a lil less severe (as I've been told, the medical is more like the interview before being appointed).

I'm not use to this procedure in the least bit, and cause its so confusing to me, I'm dying to find out how it goes?

LP,

The Towns and Villages in Westchester, plus the cities of Rye and Peekskill, use the same written test, scored with block grading. Scores are based in groups of 5 starting at 100, 95, 90 down to 70. There are no 87, 93 or 98's, etc. I always laugh when someone tells me they got an 87 as it just doesn't happen that way. I've been told that block grading is a way to bypass the consent decree, which the cities have.

When the scores come out, each Department gets a list from West. County Civil Service office with the scores of their residents. A handful of departments, I believe, do sometimes get a County list also, which has everyone and their score who took and passed the test from throughout the County, if these towns don't require residency. To be considered a resident in most places, you need to establish residency before the applications come out, which is usually 3 months prior to the test date. I don't think where you live matters too much to the Departments that don't require residency (2 guys I know lived in Yonkers and were hired by Lake Mohegan years ago).

I don't think your rank on the County list is anything to get too excited about, as Demps121 said, it's all block grading and everyone within a certain grade bank has the same rank and chance. The only time a Department can go to the next lower grade bank is when there are 2 or less candidates in a certain bank. It's all explained on the NYS Civil Sevice web site.

http://www.cs.state.ny.us/jobseeker/faq/scorenotices.cfm

When a Dept. needs men, most first conduct an interview, then send the candidates to the County physical. After passing the physical, the Dept. makes it's selection, they send you for a medical exam, and off to the academy you go......

That's just my basic idea from past experience.

The 4 cities; Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, and White Plains do their own testing and physicals, scored to the hundreth of a point, and they're pretty serious about residency, and are held to the Vulcan Consent decree. Only Yonkers runs it's own academy, the other cities ( I think ) send their men to a County Academy class.

Did I miss anything???

Hope I helped.

Joe

And I don't know when the next Yonkers test is, so don't ask.

The best place to find answers to your questions is not a web site frequented by "experts", but the Westchester County Personnel office. If not satisfied with the reception you get to your questions there, speak to a supervisor. If you are interested in a particualr department, speak to the person responsible for hiring in that department.

And no, geographic location in the county has no effect on which department canvasses you- unless a particular department prefers to hire residents of its service area.