Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Westchester County Fire Exam: Anybody Have Results Yet?

54 posts in this topic

YFD910

Thanks very much for your lengthy and detailed response. I understand a lil better, although that system seems to be odd. Maybe I just dont understand it as well as the other cities.

And dont worry, I wont ask about the next YFD test. I've heard the rumors and I know who to trust on or off the job, haha! Besides, I've done my time. Its of no concern to me anymore. I'm just interested in learning how things have changed and what not..I also like to pass along info. to my nephew, who's been waiting to get on the job since he's been in his mother's womb!

Take care

so pretty much on this list, the only score that matters is your written, since the physicals dont play a role in your rank? i always thought you took a competitive physical, THEN they'd give you a rank number and send you off to which ever department wants you. man, was i wrong!

i'm not OTJ, and I hope someone tells me i'm wrong, but i'd imagine unless you're in the top 30-50 ppl, it's likly you wont get called...i'm only picking those numbers based on certain other city tests i've taken

anyone know how many people took the exam?

and so reading these replies if you list in in the 100 or so on the list your pretty much done ?

anyone know how many people took the exam?

and from reading these replies if youre 100 or so on the list your pretty much done ?

100 or so? i'd be willing to bet its alot less than that. we shall see, we shall see. good luck to everyone

Take the test and move on, Unfortunately most places have residency preference, so the list doesn't get to far down normally. However I believe that Westchester is going to start using the CPAT instead of the old agility exam. This will give people further down the list a better shot.

P.S. why is the Yonkers test such a big secret? All the other test are known when they are going to take place and are anticipated, thus creating a great amount of revenue for the city.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

On the County list, it's not your rank that counts but your grade. Like Demps121 said and the link to the NYS Dept of CC, everyone with the same grade is the same rank number, especially if you live in a town with a paid department that requires residency. I don't know what happens when it comes to those who live in Dutchess or in a town without a paid department. Any Department has to interview all of one grade before moving on to the next lower grade once they get down to 2 or less. In the past, I've gotten letters from Scarsdale and Rye Brook with a grade of 90, after about 2 years. Best bet, call Westchester County Civil Service. Maybe the lady there can and will answer any questions. My best advice is to establish residency in a town with a paid department and get a high score. Remember that there are only what, 15 paid departments, with the 4 cities having the most FF's, and I was told this was the biggest turnout for the FF exam. My best guess would be a couple thousand took that test for very few positions. I think Eastchester is the biggest department (not including the cities) and they usually take 10-12 off of a 4 year list and require residency. That's not a lot.

And the Yonkers test is no secret......I just stated I don't know when it is because if I hadn't, I'm sure a number of people would've asked. That's all. If you're not a resident by the time the application comes out, it's too late and you're making a donation to the city and taking a test for experience. We do check residency here, and I believe one member of this board was bumped for not being a resident.

Joe

Edited by yfd910

Westchester is switching to utilizing the CPAT format for the physical agility. So all of you on the list get the info on it and train for it. You never know what may happen with those taking this test. It is much more rigorous than the previous agility format the county used and I'm willing to bet quite a few are not going to be ready or in shape for it.

Before anyone chimes in asking what the CPAT involves...again for once find out for yourself. Google, yahoo, etc are wonderful search engines and you'll have a sense of accomplishment for doing it yourself. Can't find it there, call OFPC.

For those of you who keep asking how many took the test...stop being lazy and call Westchester Civil Service and ask.

If you got a 100, whether you are ranked #1 or #101, if you got a 100 you generally will be interviewed by those who use the county list. Some of you keep asking how far down will they get in a 4 year period...again another question that can't be answered it depends. There are only a few departments that utilize the county list versus residency. They may not ever hire all the 100's by the time the list expires. Then again all but 1 could fail the agility and they will get down to the 95 and 90's. The key here is stay positive, stay in shape for your turn at the agility.

Best of luck to all of you who passed.

Westchester is switching to utilizing the CPAT format for the physical agility. So all of you on the list get the info on it and train for it. You never know what may happen with those taking this test. It is much more rigorous than the previous agility format the county used and I'm willing to bet quite a few are not going to be ready or in shape for it.

Before anyone chimes in asking what the CPAT involves...again for once find out for yourself. Google, yahoo, etc are wonderful search engines and you'll have a sense of accomplishment for doing it yourself. Can't find it there, call OFPC.

For those of you who keep asking how many took the test...stop being lazy and call Westchester Civil Service and ask.

If you got a 100, whether you are ranked #1 or #101, if you got a 100 you generally will be interviewed by those who use the county list. Some of you keep asking how far down will they get in a 4 year period...again another question that can't be answered it depends. There are only a few departments that utilize the county list versus residency. They may not ever hire all the 100's by the time the list expires. Then again all but 1 could fail the agility and they will get down to the 95 and 90's. The key here is stay positive, stay in shape for your turn at the agility.

Not sure why asking if anyone knows how many people took the test is being LAZY... people ask all sorts of questions on here. Isnt that what this site is for?If you look at it from your point of view this whole topic should have been stopped after the first question the answer would have been CALL THE WC CIVIL SERVICE AND ASK.... So if anyone besides alsfirefighter knows or has an idea please feel free to SHARE THAT INFO. Thanks..

Great post, if you want to find out about the ESA LODD, use lohud.com, if you want to see apparatus photos, fdnytrucks.com, whatever you do, do not ask questions or look for content here!

LOL. Guys...I can see why you answered the way you did and I apologize for seeming so pointed it wasn't my intention, I guess I was releasing some other tensions during my posting. Poopie happens.

My point was more that at least 3 or 4 people asked and no one seemed to go out and get the info. This is a similar point I make when teaching that when you need to know something and want to know something get out there and find out and don't always rely on the word of mouth. There comes a point where there is a ton of info on here...but some regulars out there whom use it as a crutch where they would be better to find it on their own.

Just got done with the train the trainer to proctor the CPAT for the physical agility. Use the info posted on here and be ready for when your time comes. This is a stright forward test that requires a good mix of endurance and strength that simulates job functions. I'm sure more details about how it will be administered as far as notifications, orientations and so on will be coming down the pike soon. This is a big step forward for the career fire service in Westchester where most of us on the job took it during the academy.

I received a canvas letter today from the Village of Larchmont, it says in anticipation of them making an appointment for a Fire Fighter position at a salary of $27,993.

Responses to the canvas letter have to be received by December 12, 2007.

I heard interviews scheduled for FF positions in Port Chester and Fairview (Greenburgh). Best of Luck !

PCFD had a member retire so there is 1 position open

Just received my canvas letter from Larchmont also. The pay is way to low to cosider a position there. If I don't accept the position do I remain on the list for future employment opportunities or am I taken off the list? Also, what are the salary ranges? Is 27,000 low or average? Thanks.

Edited by paratrooper75

City of Rye FD Starting Salary 1/1/2008 $41,290

Edited by Lucky-Truckie

Just received my canvas letter from Larchmont also. The pay is way to low to consider a position there. If I don't accept the position do I remain on the list for future employment opportunities or am I taken off the list? Also, what are the salary ranges? Is 27,000 low or average? Thanks.

Hi Paratrooper,

From the Canvass letters I received before, it's in the ball park. I think some were lower, some higher, although the mention of Rye at $41,290 is higher than any of the letters I previously received.

As part of the canvass letter, you can send it back and decline and say you need at least $28,000 - or give another reason why you can't accept this one. Then you'll still be included on any further canvassing letters. If you do nothing, then you'll get taken off the list and wont hear of any other openings.

Monty.

The Salaries vary usually from 20-40 most common, but a select few are over, but trust me NO ONE takes these jobs to get rich, you are in the wrong line of work for that. And also a real good guy who was been on the job for 25+ years used to tell me "shut up, take the job kid, get that pension started, and take every test you can."

The Salaries vary usually from 20-40 most common, but a select few are over, but trust me NO ONE takes these jobs to get rich, you are in the wrong line of work for that. And also a real good guy who was been on the job for 25+ years used to tell me "shut up, take the job kid, get that pension started, and take every test you can."

Nice quote - unfortunately, some of us here are no longer 'kids' (we might act like it, but that's a different story :P ), and there's very little chance for qualifications or previous experience to make any difference. Maybe when they perfect this time travel stuff, I'll know better next time around!

A friend asked me this I figured Id ask it here...

Does anyone know who hires from the county list and who gives residency preference?

the results are in but when you pass then you have too go for the agililty test which no bargin by any means then you get your ranking in the county and local lists there may be

i understand alot of people failed just like the last mt. vernon test

Edited by spike2231

I received a canvas letter today from the Village of Larchmont, it says in anticipation of them making an appointment for a Fire Fighter position at a salary of $27,993.

Responses to the canvas letter have to be received by December 12, 2007.

Actually received a canvass letter from Scarsdale yesterday. Salary here is listed as $20,000-31,539. This one has a response date of December 18th.