Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ladder44

Why dont people wear there waist belts?

17 posts in this topic

why do i see alot of poeple never wear the air pack waist belt????

For me it was a combination of forgetting, especially at routine calls, and seeing senior guys with their waist straps not clipped in. I think its something a lot of people just overlook, especially if its a call thats right around the corner. Since we've had the new style packs its less of an issue, I almost always strap it in because they're heavier and it helps keep the weight off. And if I forget with these I usually notice pretty quickly.

For me, it is usually out of sheer forgetfulness. I know a few people I have talked to do it "because it helps if you go down".

For those who have taken FAST, for a victim to be dragged by their pack harness, you should disconnect the waist strap, and feed one behind, and one in front of the legs, going through the legs, to make it a cradle in your, well, crotch.

This being said, these guys feel "it will save the guys coming to rescue me time to connect them between my legs".

Funny thing though, if you go down, who the hell knows where your waist straps will end up. If they ARE in fact buckled where they SHOULD be, there will be no searching around for straps under you, or accidentally tucked BEHIND your waist, stuck between your back and the pack.

Just my 2 cents.

xfirefighter484x has a very good point about the need for the straps to be where they are supposed to be in the event you need to be pulled out. Also, straps that aren't buckled can easily get hung up on something, and getting hung up is only going to waste time and air for you and the your crew.

For routine calls its laziness that has become a bad habit for the not so routine calls. However if I've got the roof or OV its intentional. I either fold them back on themselves and clip with the alligator or fold them over several times and rubber bands them. This to easily low pro on fire escapes. For the RIT we were taught to actually expect the guy not to have them buckled so start feeling at the cylinder to the carrier down to the straps. Train for the worst, pray for the best.

Four letters F.D.N.Y. ....... City guys please dont take that the wrong way , many of you do wear the waist strap... just like the salty helmet issue and the dirty gear ... people think it looks cool, it is a safety issue. If you wear the gear the correct way you should not have a problem.

Edited by drobison82

Four letters F.D.N.Y. ....... City guys please dont take that the wrong way , many of you do wear the waist strap... just like the salty helmet issue and the dirty gear ... people think it looks cool, it is a safety issue. If you wear the gear the correct way you should not have a problem.

Ya know, I knew this drobinson, but it didn't even click when I was posting. So very true. FDNY are idolized by many in the vollie communities, and people want to be like them. While not ALL are like that, like you said, people pick up on others bad habits.

Waist straps on scba are like seats belt on apparatus--they should be worn. The reasoning behind the waist straps is to take the weight off your shoulders and place it where it belongs on your hips. Too many times we see firefighters pull the shoulder straps way too tight --they should be snug-waist belt put on with the buckle in line with your body,the clip should be near your belly button so you always know where it is in case you have to unbuckle in a emergency. Then the shoulder straps should be loosened just a little to allow the weight of the pack to settle on your hips.

I was the biggest offender till a probie asked me why I don't wear them. I had no good answer. If I'm detailed to a truck and get OVM I'll still belt up but its loose. Biggest reason I say to wear it is what was all ready mentioned, if you go down and its not in place I guarantee it will wind up under the frame of the pack. Until I find out I'm going to work they stay hanging at my side just because its easy. I don't have to repack the straps after ever BS run.

Waist straps on scba are like seats belt on apparatus--they should be worn. The reasoning behind the waist straps is to take the weight off your shoulders and place it where it belongs on your hips. Too many times we see firefighters pull the shoulder straps way too tight --they should be snug-waist belt put on with the buckle in line with your body,the clip should be near your belly button so you always know where it is in case you have to unbuckle in a emergency. Then the shoulder straps should be loosened just a little to allow the weight of the pack to settle on your hips.

This is the 100% right reason on why to wear them, try going hiking on a several day trip and not wear the waist buckle, tell me how long you last?

This is the 100% right reason on why to wear them, try going hiking on a several day trip and not wear the waist buckle, tell me how long you last?

Two good reasons:

1. Hanging waist straps are an entanglement hazard. Learn reduced profile and emergency doffing procedures and you can get yourself out of trouble. Hanging straps can get you into trouble. No excuse not wearing waist straps with quick release buckles.

2. Just Backpackers know that waist straps are designed to take at least 60% of the weight of the pack. The shoulder straps take less weight and are mostly designed to keep the pack close to the back. Same with SCBA. You will last longer using a waist strap.

It is SOP on our department, and we all wear them.

Fastening that belt was always part of my training---so much so that it would never occur to me NOT to fasten it.

-I DON'T believe this is the reason whatsoever !

IIRC, didn't FDNY at one time have Scott build them special frames without the waist belts? They had a beefed-up shoulder strap with extra padding. I'm thinking late 80's early 90's with this one. But, like mentioned by others, the waist strap really should be worn. One less thing to get caught on something, reduced weight on the shoulders, easy to find if needed by FAST/RIT, etc.

The biggest thing to think about is stress on the shoulders. A waist belt, as anyone who ever went through Boy Scouts or on any camping trip with a heavy pack knows, the waist belt takes the weight off your shoulder which is needed for a long term operation or hike. Guys that sinch their shoulder straps down may find that muscle fatigue sets in quicker when they need to do operations overhead, i.e. pulling ceilings. As firefighters we already put alot of stress on our bodies during the act of firefighting and overhaul. Why beat yourself up more by not using the waist belt.

Edited by RescueEngine4

-I DON'T believe this is the reason whatsoever !

But you know as well as I do there are people who don't wear it that way because they see a fire in the paper or on the news and a few brothers aren't wearing the waist strap for what ever reason. Being the "OVM" , not going to work right away ETC. The pack is designed to be worn with the straps done to take weight off the shoulders. As PARTYROCK stated until probie school he didn't wear his either. I was the same way and I also had no reason. I was one of the ones that thought it looked cool, I am also guilty as charged ole129k. A F.F. from Rescue 3 F.D.N.Y. told me he was going down a snotty hallway and had to make a hasty reatreat and his waist belt was not done and he had gotten tangled in a shopping cart. Ever since then I have worn it. Thanks Greg.