Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

Yonkers Sqaud 311

61 posts in this topic

I was at a christmas party last night with guys from my old house and i was told Squad 11 will do all the engine work that it did as 311 including EMS and will be used for other things at discretion of the IC on the westside or the eastside and even mutual aid.Sounds like it a name only. Oh and if you guys believe everything Pagano says you better be wearing your hip boots.Sometimes you have to start with baby steps and work your way up ,just like yonkers did to get our R-1 back we started with a 2 man squad truck and then finally got the fully equiped heavy rescue.This could possibly be a step in that direction

I think the concept of a "SQUAD" is a great idea.

But... Don't be something you are NOT, a Rescue Company is an "Elite" group of Firefighters. I've had the pleasure of riding with FDNY R2 and R3 on numerous occasions. They are the best of the best hands down.

901, You are 100% Correct! Having been a former "E" employee I can say YFD on the 10-45's is a great thing. Yes, they do save lives! Hats off to all FF's who do EMS runs. Peekskill FD has had saves BLS and ALS.

Personally...I don't feel that removing "Engine" from the side of your pumper and replacing it with "Squad" makes you a Squad Company.

What type of Training do they have? Experience? and Equipment?

Are they really a "Specialized Unit" ?

If I put 100 gallons of Foam on my pumper will I be called "Foam 130"? No... I am still Engine 130 but I have additional equipment.

Let's remember YFD RESCUE 1 is still primary and the only Rescue in the City of Yonkers. That has not changed!

Squad 311 is still an ENGINE COMPANY and will function as one. They will hit a hydrant, lay in just like everyone else.

Engine, Ladder, Rescue, and Squad's let's put the EGO'S aside and do the job we ALL love!

GOD BLESS AND BE SAFE! :D

This is the official description of what a Squad Company is from

www.westchestergov.com/emergserv/apparatus/validunits.pdf

SQUAD COMPANY (TEAMS)

Valid Prefix

(SQ = Squad)

A vehicle(s) consisting of at least an Engine with or without other support vehicles (ie: Rescue, Ladder,

or Utility Type), equipped with additional and specific equipment to handle hazardous materials / WMD

(Weapons of Mass Destruction) and/or technical rescue, that will respond with a minimum of six (6) trained

and certified members, included a company officer.

For haz-mat and WMD the minimum training level shall be Haz-Mat Technician (as identified under OSHA 1910.120) and

the squad shall have the equipment necessary to perform air monitoring, level “A” suit and decontamination.

For technical rescue the minimum training level shall be based on NFPA 1670. All members shall be at the technician level

for structural collapse, trench rescue and confined space rescue and at the operations level for rope rescue. The squad shall have the

equipment necessary to initiate a response, safely size up and identify additional resources required to safely mitigate these incidents.

As far as I can tell from this description, Squad 311 will be a regular engine company, but well go a step further and have some HAZ-MAT and WMD technician capabilities.

RWC130 - Great post!

if you are worried about them being on medical calls they don't do that many (maybe more than most dept do total in westchester) but that is as important as a fire call...as well they are dispatched to medical in nature type calls...not all ems calls...injuries go to pd.. and then ems goes on a number of jobs alone...especially when they are in the areas of mulford/school/schloebaum/cottage if you know what i mean...

Why not send the rescue truck to EMS calls???

DMA,

I think the rescue doesnt go on EMS calls because there is an engine in the station with it. But that is a good point, why not send the Rescue on EMS calls, especially when its returning to quarters from jobs on the East side that it never makes it too. Maybe Yonkers should invest in some Global positioning equipment and use the Rescue a little more.

There is no Engine in Rescue 1's house...There is Ladder 71, Rescue 1, MSU, and Car 5 all in Station 1. And on the contrary, Rescue 1 indeed does respond to some medical calls with Engine 306. I think the number one reason why they dont run the rescue out on regular medical calls is because they are a HEAVY RESCUE UNIT. They respond CITYWIDE from structure fires, to Car accidents. So they need to be utilized wisely.

DFFD227,

Sorry for the misinformation.

Another point though. Why would they go on some Medical calls with 306 and not others? Why is 306 different from the other engine companies?

If the Rescue and the Squad are specialized companies, then why not always have them available to be utilized wisely? If your not going to use the Rescue for medical calls, IMO you shouldnt use the Squad for them either, they carry specialized equipment as well.

The reason why Rescue 1 responds with E-306 to medical calls is kinda for "back-up" purposes. Lets face it, Engine 306 isn't in the best area (Oak Street), and there are some REALLY bad areas in its response area. So they have Rescue 1 respond with 306 to insure they have another Company for back up. a few years back E-306 pulled up to Shroder Street for a medical call, only to be greeted by disorderly people throwing things out the windows at the firefighters. At least now if this happens again, Rescue 1 can assist the Engine Co, and call HQ for Police Back-up.

I think the number 1 reason right now that S-311 does medical calls is because it is primarily an Engine Co. unless directed otherwide by an AC/IC

We have added extra bags of speedy dry to E130,

from this day forward it will be SD130! Not E130.

642 note that in CAD! =D> =D> =D>

See how easy that was....

Engine Co. to Squad Co.

Engine Co. to Speedy Dry Co.

Anyone want to be Council Rake Co. ?

LOL!!! I just HAD too :D

Wow, a lot of talk on the net about Squad 311. I kind of like the idea of mannng a small Engine Company (Engine 305) out of Station 11 (Parked in front of the Collaspe Unit in Bay 2). Station 11 could have a 5 Man Crew stationed there. 5 to run on all Squad 311 Calls, and in the case of Medical Calls in the 311 District, have a 2 man crew respond on Engine 305, leaving 3 men to man Squad 311. Once Engine 305 has 10-8, it could then also respond on the call with Squad 311.

Just a thought. The cost would not be that high, given that E-311 was a Captain, Engineer + 2 Crew. So, have Statoin 11 have a Captain, Engineer, and 3 there at all times, and have it respond to

Medical Calls with the 2 FF's on Engine 305 for Medical Calls ONLY! For Squad 311 Calls, with Engine 305 in quarters, have all 5 respond, leaving Engine 305 out of service.

The cost would only be for 1 addtional FF on the payroll. You have the Rig (Engine 305). So it would allow for more flexibility on Squad 311. Your thoughts?

YonkersR3,

I like that idea. I think the people of Yonkers would be much better served with minimal cost to the taxpayers.

I LIKE THAT IDEA WITH A SEPARTE PIECE TO DO THE eMS RUND BEING ENGINE 305, BUT I THINK THE ONLY PROBLEM IS BY WESTCHESTER COUNTY STANDARDS A SQUAD NEEDS 6 MEN AT ALL TIMES THAT HAVE SPECIFIC TRAINING AND EQUIPMENT, THE REQUIRMENTS TO DESIGNATE A UNIT ARE ON 60 CONTROLS WEBSITE..

YonkersR3,

I think it is a good idea to try and save money for the people of Yonkers...But like HFD said, you need to have 6 firemen including an officer on the squad at all times who are specifically trained in certain areas of the fire service.

As well as having specialized equipment on your rig with other rigs to subsidize your needs, you need to be trained in WMD, Hazmat, collapse, etc.

What are you takes on this?

Agreed, that you need 6 Members to run the Squad. So hire on 2 Additional Men to Staff Squad 311. Have them all trainined on the Specialization that makes 311 a Squad. However, still have Engine 305 in Station 11. So for EMT Runs only, have Engine 305 run with only 2 of the 6 of the members, and if Squad 311 gets a run, have it manned with the remaining 4. When 305 goes 10-8, then they can join Squad 311 on their run. Only 2 additonal staff members is better than having to man an entire new company 4 new members.

still its a great idea, however there must be 6 guys on that rig at all times, so you may have to add 305 at station 11 and hire or add 2 guys to man engine 305 for medical runs, and if a run came in for the collapse unit or the squad these 2 member could man the collapse unit, or if it was necessary run 305 rigth behind the squad or even remain inservice incase of a 10-45 run...

2 men wouldnt work on medicals because usually you need someone outside with the comms and to look for the ambulance. So 1 guy outside to flag down the Ambulance, and 1 guy doing whatever. I don't think 2 will cut it for meds, but it is a good theory.

I was told that the new Yonkers Sqaud 311 rig should be identical to the new New Rochelle Squad.

2 men wouldnt work on medicals because usually you need someone outside with the comms and to look for the ambulance. So 1 guy outside to flag down the Ambulance, and 1 guy doing whatever. I don't think 2 will cut it for meds, but it is a good theory.

You don't need one guy to "flag down the ambulance". We're quite capable of finding locations on our own, thank you. Plus the big red truck in front usually helps too. :roll: [-X

More than 2 is generally needed for manpower....mainly for lifting, lifting heavy patients, complicated carrydowns, helping carry our sometimes buly amount of equipment, CPR compressions and ventilations, to drive the bus on occasion, etc

You don't need one guy to "flag down the ambulance". We're quite capable of finding locations on our own, thank you. Plus the big red truck in front usually helps too. :roll: [-X

More than 2 is generally needed for manpower....mainly for lifting, lifting heavy patients, complicated carrydowns, helping carry our sometimes buly amount of equipment, CPR compressions and ventilations, to drive the bus on occasion, etc

I know EMS is capable of finding scenes on your own but the part about the big red truck? I hope that in the case of a long driveway where the big red truck can't be seen from the road that somebody would have brains enough to place a flare or two an the end of the driveway.

you'd be surprised.......

Why wouldn't you assume that if the engine crew could find the long driveway and make its way up there, the ambulance could as well? There isn't any need for a FF to stay and "flag down the ambulance," but I'm not sure about YFD's policies about being with the truck or manning communications on calls such as that.

May sound silly, but the chauffeur waits by the rig, while the rest of the crew goes inside. When the EMS gets on scene (or if they are already on scene) they say for example: "Engine 313 to Yonkers, 10-16, 10-84" 10-16 means EMS and 84 is on scene.

May sound silly, but the chauffeur waits by the rig, while the rest of the crew goes inside. When the EMS gets on scene (or if they are already on scene) they say for example: "Engine 313 to Yonkers, 10-16, 10-84"   10-16 means EMS and 84 is on scene.

It does sound funny to me. Is it really neccasary to dedicate a firefighter just to call the ambulance on scene? Doesn't YFD have portable radios?????

I was able to snap a few quick pics of New Rochelle's new Squad rig earlier this evening. Sorry bout the blurriness of them, it was kinda cold and windy.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/139576...235048950YGzSQD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/139576...235048976DzGIcZ

http://community.webshots.com/photo/139576...235049003UJgwUo

http://community.webshots.com/photo/139576...235049028ZfoHco

They were on a run at Monroe College. I didnt stick around long enough to find out what happened.

Interesting to note that although this is the "New" New Rochelle Squad 22, the Painting on the rig reads "Engine 22" I hope that Yonkers doesn't make the same mistake. It should read "Squad 311"

Both Departments I think need to have a squad and the reason that NR did not put it on is because they still follow the county way of lettering. Yonkers on the other hand does not care they do it thier way. Personally I think that the whole squad thing that the county has is not a good thing. The county squads are haz-mat teams and that it. If you look at any other county a squad is a resuce engine or a resuce. The county really needs to change this and fix it right.

The reason why they did Engine is because they are dispatched by 60 control. Yonkers has there own dispatchers, so they dont comply. Look at the Rescue1...Rescue 1, according to the county is Larchmont...Rescue11 to the county is the City of Yonkers Heavy Rescuem, however Yonkers Rescue designated itself as Rescue1...It's understandable because they operate on there own frequency.

you'd be surprised.......

Unfortunately I wouldn't. Not in the least. But placing one flare on each side of the driveway. Then finding it won't be a problem.