Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ldrco195

Beer Allowed in Firehouse

15 posts in this topic

BEER IN MINNESOTA FIRE STATION GETS APPROVAL

Thursday, October 18, 2007

New Ulm’s volunteer firefighters now can kick back and pop the top on a brewsky after a fire call or other related functions inside Fire Station buildings as a result of City Council action Tuesday.

The New Ulm Fire Department’s request was approved on a 4-1 vote, with Councilor Sharon Weinkauf voting no. The affirmative vote also overrode concerns raised by Assistant City Attorney Roger Hippert who said allowing the firefighters to drink alcoholic beverages essentially on the job raised "some serious concerns about liability."

Hippert quoted from a League of Minnesota Cities publication, which listed a number of issues involved in allowing drinking in the fire station.

"I think there are some legitimate causes for concern like [operating equipment] while impaired and who is going to determine when a firefighter is impaired," Hippert said.

"The official stance of the department is that the individual is the best judge of when you’re obviously intoxicated," said Scott Windschitl, president of the New Ulm Fire Department Relief Association.

In introducing the agenda item, Council President Dan Beranek said the issue could be argued both ways but, in the end, "I feel these [firefighters] who put themselves at risk in fighting fires are responsible enough to know when they’ve had too much. To me, the pluses outweigh the minuses."

"They’re really leaving it up to the individual to determine, and the council could impose some restrictions," City Manager Brian Gramentz suggested.

"That’s one of my main concerns that there are no limitations, and who decides when a fireman is impaired," Hippert said.

Mayor Joel Albrecht said he agreed with Beranek that New Ulm firefighters are "very responsible and should be able to enjoy one beer when they’re through." "What do you mean, one beer?" Weinkauf asked.

"Yes, one beer. I’ve been to several fire department functions, and that’s all I’ve seen them drink," Albrecht said.

Republished with permission of The Journal. RON LARSEN

when it comes down to it, when the tones drop and it sounds good, people will want to go. No matter how much they've drank.

Especially in a place like westchester, where on average, a fire dept only fights a few fires a year.

And thats where I'm going to end this post.

Here We Go Again

Some People Will Never Learn!!!

just what i thought

what's wrong with waiting until AFTER everything is done, you leave the house, and then go and have a couple of cold ones

and not coming back in if have had something to drink

but i guess its a matter of personal responsibility, which all too many today are lacking

It's a matter of just being responsible.

Its not a matterof being responsible SPFC its the fact that you are consuming alcohol in a public building. We dont allow our police to "kick back"after a criminal chase and down a few cold ones, do we ?? Can we bring a few cold ones to the library?? I dont think so. So let's establish once and for all: Alcohol does not belong in a fire station.

Edited by DOC22

Its not a matterof being responsible SPFC its the fact that you are consuming alcohol in a public building. We dont allow are police to "kick back"after a criminal chase and down a few cold ones do ?? Can we breing a few cold one to the library??I dont think so. so lets establish once and for all

Alcohol does not belong in a fire station.

Well in that case im sure there are other places where you can start pulling alcohol out. The real sad part of that story is they are allowing it , and these quotes.

some serious concerns about liability

I think there are some legitimate causes for concern like [operating equipment] while impaired and who is going to determine when a firefighter is impaired

The official stance of the department is that the individual is the best judge of when you’re obviously intoxicated

Does anyone want a trauma surgeon or ER doc kickin back in the staff lounge after a tough call one two or three hours into a 15 hour shift and having a cold one??? Just about the only profession that drinking on the job is pratical/acceptable is bartending!

when it comes down to it, when the tones drop and it sounds good, people will want to go. No matter how much they've drank.

Especially in a place like westchester, where on average, a fire dept only fights a few fires a year.

And thats where I'm going to end this post.

What part of Westchester are you from?

You're still crappin' mustard seed at 18-20 YO.

Think before you speak.

If you've had a drink, you don't belong on a fire truck much less driving one. If I get behind the wheel of a truck, you climb in and I smell Alcohol on your breath, Iwill tell you to get off my truck. If you've been drinking you're out of service period. As for beer in the station. More and more departments have taken the bar out. Some now totally ban it. More are starting to say any department sponsored events, no brew. Its a different ear today. Want or need a drink, go to the pub.

Think before you speak.

I'm sorry, Get the roof, but this thread and forum is for the discussion of the topic. Please do not personally attack any member for their opinions or statements, right or wrong.

I do agree with the general consensus though. Alcohol in firehouses went the way of riding the tailboard, and horse drawn pumpers. A thing of the past.

Hey all. A lot of good points have been made, and Im concerned about the fact we are STILL arguing about a topic like this one in light of what happened to our brothers in Boston...THAT should be the end of this post.

No matter how much Alcohol you drink it has an effect on your bodies systems, including motor response. It delays your reactions and judgements. I dont care who you are, how long you have been drinking, or how much you "think" you can drink safely. You drink, dont get on that truck with me, you'll be gettin off faster than you got on. ;)

Please be safe everyone...

Moose

I'm sorry, Get the roof, but this thread and forum is for the discussion of the topic. Please do not personally attack any member for their opinions or statements, right or wrong.

I do agree with the general consensus though. Alcohol in firehouses went the way of riding the tailboard, and horse drawn pumpers. A thing of the past.

Oh jeez, sorry for hurting someones feelings.

Although we do agree on one thing. Alcohol does not belong in the firehouses.

If any of you "PURSUING FIRE CAREERS" want to survive at the kitchen table, you better grow thicker skin. Give me a break.

Think before you speak.

From a village in Northern Westchester - there are plenty of 'active' members that hang at the bar and don't make calls. Unfortunately, there are some that do hang at the bar and do make calls as well.

In fact, how many of the new fire houses that have been recently built, or are being built have a nice new bar in them? I bet almost all - if not all.