Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

Rye's New Ladder has arrived

15 posts in this topic

The new ladder 25 is now in the Locust Ave firehouse. It will be trained on for a few weeks then it will go into service, then the current ladder will go to excelsior to have some work done. I just saw it today and it looks nice.

I have to say this department has been very interesting to me. These pictures may cure some people's curiopusities where this rig ended up. Anyone recognize this former Rye, NY tiller? It is located at a scrap company called Stanley Staba & Sons., 1933 Broadway Road, Darien Center, NY (585) 547-2219. I'm not sure what he would sell the truck for, anyone interested call up and see. Darien Center is located 45-50 minutes east of the City of Buffalo, NY.

post-6972-1195434526.jpg

Pic 4. I always wondered how this truck got out to the Western New York area. I've noticed this truck sitting in Darien Center since 2004 and last I knew when I left Western New York in August it is still there.

post-6972-1195434768.jpg

SAD END TO A GREAT TILLER.

That would take a great deal of money to restore into working order.

I would image at least 50k - 75k

That is the old ladder 25 a 1975 Seagrave. I dont remember for sure, but I think it was sold at auction in 2001. Ladder 26, the 1955 Maxim/1985 Spartan was auctioned in 2006 and is now in Mass and is for sale again.

Looking at the pictures on LFD171's site it appears that Ladder 25 and Ladder 26 are almost identical. Could someone from Rye comment on why they would get 2 of the same rigs instead of say 1 stick and 1 tower? Do they operate out of the same house? How are they handled with alarm assignments. Do they both run or do they alternate calls?

Looking at the pictures on LFD171's site it appears that Ladder 25 and Ladder 26 are almost identical. Could someone from Rye comment on why they would get 2 of the same rigs instead of say 1 stick and 1 tower? Do they operate out of the same house? How are they handled with alarm assignments. Do they both run or do they alternate calls?

The fact that they are nearly identical is no accident. When faced with the issue of replacing the beloved yet ancient 1955 Maxim Tractor-Drawn Aerial (TDA), the idea of a new TDA was almost instantly out the window due to the fact that we need a Truck with an overall height around 10'-0" to clear the railroad bridges in our jurisdiction. A Tower Ladder was ruled out due to their much higher cost, combined with the lack of high-rises in Rye and the fact that there are already 3 Towers in our battalion zone, and another 2 (Purchase and West Harrison) not too far away. When it came down to it, everyone was very happy with the performance of the 2001 Seagrave 100' Rearmount Ladder, so it was decided to get a twin.

Rye is a Combination Department, and while both Trucks do run out of the same house, only Ladder 25 is "first due", meaning it is manned by career staff and goes on all structural calls, elevator calls, lock-outs and also goes on MVA's as a "blocker" and to have an additional firefighter on scene right away. Ladder 26 will be staffed by volunteers, and will supplement Ladder 25 on commercial and high-risk alarms. Ladder 26 will also allow training to take place without taking the front-line Truck out of service, and will help to fill a void in our mutual aid system (Harrison has consistently had an Engine on stand-by or on scene for working fires in Rye, but for several years we have not been able to reciprocate by sending a Ladder to stand-by or operate at their scene without taking our first-due Truck out of the City.)

The fact that they are nearly identical is no accident. When faced with the issue of replacing the beloved yet ancient 1955 Maxim Tractor-Drawn Aerial (TDA), the idea of a new TDA was almost instantly out the window due to the fact that we need a Truck with an overall height around 10'-0" to clear the railroad bridges in our jurisdiction. A Tower Ladder was ruled out due to their much higher cost, combined with the lack of high-rises in Rye and the fact that there are already 3 Towers in our battalion zone, and another 2 (Purchase and West Harrison) not too far away. When it came down to it, everyone was very happy with the performance of the 2001 Seagrave 100' Rearmount Ladder, so it was decided to get a twin.

Rye is a Combination Department, and while both Trucks do run out of the same house, only Ladder 25 is "first due", meaning it is manned by career staff and goes on all structural calls, elevator calls, lock-outs and also goes on MVA's as a "blocker" and to have an additional firefighter on scene right away. Ladder 26 will be staffed by volunteers, and will supplement Ladder 25 on commercial and high-risk alarms. Ladder 26 will also allow training to take place without taking the front-line Truck out of service, and will help to fill a void in our mutual aid system (Harrison has consistently had an Engine on stand-by or on scene for working fires in Rye, but for several years we have not been able to reciprocate by sending a Ladder to stand-by or operate at their scene without taking our first-due Truck out of the City.)

Thank you for the information.

Purchase has a Tower Ladder??? i never hear that monster go out :blink: ... 242Steve are you a member of rye or something?

Purchase has a Tower Ladder??? i never hear that monster go out :blink: ... 242Steve are you a member of rye or something?

Joe did you just get off a midnight shift? You seem a little incoherent.

242Steve:

Truck looks good, many years of good luck with it.

Hopefully you have better luck with it than your baseball team.... :blink:

242Steve:

Truck looks good, many years of good luck with it.

Hopefully you have better luck with it than your baseball team.... :blink:

Thanks. I might be able to arrange a ride-along for ya, but only if you wear pinstripes. :P