Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FDNY 10-75

RES6CUE Disbanded

11 posts in this topic

As of 0900 This morning (11/03/04), Rescue Company 6 has been disbanded.

Rescue 1 has returned to "normal" coverage (Covering All of Manhattan)

was it in operation for even a month? Man that was quick. are they moving it somewhere else in the city or thats it?

RESCUE 6 was placed into service on August 3 and disbanded today, November 3.

It was a "temporary" Rescue Company due to GOP Convention

and Presidential Election staffed using Federal Grant money.

Ahh man that sucks! I better hurry up and order a RES6CUE t-shirt lol! I definately liked their motto "Six in the City."

I have a feeling this won't be the last we see of R-6.

BTW, Are those "temporary" collapse units still in service????????

I belive once an FDNY company is disbanded, a new one has to go into service, so instead of Rescue Co. 6, We may see Rescue Co. 7. Or nothing more at all. I know they had to change the numbering of an Eng Co awhile back because of this rule about disbanded co's.

Look at it this way, now they even get their own patch (for being a disbanded co)

Also Those CR Units are still in service, probally will be for a while, I belive thy are unstaffed or rotated.

I don't believe that the old rules apply to rescue 6, as it was stated they weren't going to be an actual, operating company for the long haul. they were created with federal money to stay in service until after the elections and that was it. the money just isn't there.

Just curious...what happens to the actual rig when the unit is disbanded?

It's still in the quarters of L20 On Lafyette, The doors and cabinets are still loaded but padlocked shut. I suoopse it might eventually make it way to Rndalls island or Rosevelt. It could go into service again, just probablly not as rescue 6. Not sure, but it could maybe be used as a reserve.

Other Disbanded rigs, Engines & Ladders for example, Depending on their condition can go into the reserve or training pool. Or it might just sit at Da' Shops or Randalls untill they scrap it or canibalize it. Some of them get sold off.

Thanks for the quick answer, 10-75.

All that equipment sitting idle...man, imagine what some financially strapped rural departments would do for just one rig!