Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New York State Trooper Exam-December Deadline Approaching Fast For A Great Career!

28 posts in this topic

As you can see, becoming a New York State Trooper is a solid, challenging, and rewarding lifelong career with plenty of oppurtunties to serve in different areas, in different specialties. Plenty of promotional oppurtunties will always exist. All that with excellent compensation and benefits! (Note the salaries listed below don't include all the other stipends and the such, plus a new contract is currently being worked on, and raises are expected)

The December application deadline is quickly approaching! If you don't sign up NOW, you'll have to wait until 2012 to apply again.

I know for a fact it's been proven that Volunteer FF's and EMS personel make great trooper canidates, and it looks good on your application.

NYSP is a diverse workplace, that represents a very diverse state. And it is one of the premier Law Enforcment orginizations in the world.

I HIGHLY RECCOMEND taking this exam- you can always change your mind if you decide later down the line you don't want the job- but don't regret not applying now and having to wait until 2012!!!

ANY QUESTIONS? Please contact me via email or PM, and I'll try to get them answered and/or I'll put you directly in touch with a NYS Police Recruiter that's specially for EMTBravo Network members. .

Also, did you know that the New York State Police was founded by residents of Bedford Hills in Westchester County due to an incident that occured there? There's a plaque on the site in Bedford Hills on which it occured.

New York State Police Trooper Exam

NY State Trooper Examination Deadline is December 1, 2007

The December 1st deadline is fast approaching. The opportunity to take the entrance examination for the position of NY State Trooper comes around just once every four (4) years. Don't miss this opportunity! This examination, held in early 2008, will cover the hiring period of 2008 through 2012. Apply now!

The New York State Police is a full service police agency, providing essential police services on a statewide basis. Through the Uniformed Force and Bureau of Criminal Investigation, the Division of New York State Police maintains regular preventive patrols, assists motorists and other members of the public, conducts criminal and non-criminal investigations, and provides emergency and disaster services.

With over 4,600 sworn members, and more than 1,000 non-sworn employees, the New York State Police provides a myriad of special services that include: aviation, dedicated interstate patrols, canine patrols, SCUBA, counter terrorism, crime analysis, forensic sciences, forensic crime laboratory, commercial vehicle enforcement, mobile response team (similar to SWAT), narcotics enforcement teams, violent felony warrant squad, marine unit, crisis negotiation teams, accident reconstructionists, drug recognition experts, mobile command post, major crimes unit, auto theft unit, firearms tracing unit, hazardous materials enforcement, and computer crimes unit.

The New York State Police has a long and proud history of serving the citizens of New York since 1917. Our mission, to serve, protect and defend the people of New York while preserving the rights and dignity of all, has remained constant from our inception and is still our goal today. Integrity, respect, customer service and leadership are the foundations that we continue to build upon in order to serve to the best of our abilities.

New York State Trooper Salary, Promotions, Benefits and Retirement

Starting Salary

Effective April 1, 2006

$50,374 - Starting salary (during Academy training)

$61,525 - Upon graduation from the Academy

$65,358 - After one year

$77,218 - After five years

Salaries do not include additional location compensation for New York City and the following counties: Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester.

Promotion

There are numerous promotional opportunities from sergeant to superintendent through competitive and appointive processes for both the Uniformed Force and Bureau of Criminal Investigation. A few examples are provided below:

You may compete in the promotional process for the supervisory rank of sergeant after 4 years. Salary: $90,795

You may compete in the promotional process for the middle management rank of lieutenant after serving 2 years as a sergeant. Salary: $107,967

You may apply to be appointed as an Investigator in the Bureau of Criminal Investigation after 4 years of service or after 2 years of service with a Bachelor's Degree. Salary: $88,444 (Salary does not include overtime.)

Note: Salaries do not include location compensation or longevity payments.

Benefits

120 hours of vacation annually, up to a maximum of 224 hours, depending on length of service.

12 annually paid holidays.

24 to 40 paid personal leave hours based on length of service.

Paid sick leave accumulating at the rate of 104 hours per year.

Excellent health, dental, and optical insurance coverage.

All uniforms and equipment are provided, including dry cleaning services for uniforms.

Retirement

Retirement at half pay after 20 years.

Vesting after 5 years.

Click Here To Learn More And Apply Online

In addition to the above, if you work in Westchester, your salary is:

Academy Graduation: $69,326

1 Year: $73,159

5 Years: $85,019

Not including OT, Education pay, Fitness pay, etc...

And they are negotiating the new contract as we speak, so these numbers will be higher by the time appoinments off this list are made...

Edited by INIT915

This is not directly related to the Trooper Exam, but while I was at the Vital Signs Conference this past weekend I saw a trooper at the NYSP Booth wearing black tactical pants and a black polo shirts that had the NYS seal with "New York State Police EMT" around it.

I was told my an anonymous source that the SP is looking to get pretty involved in EMS. There has been "some talk" about NYSP sending their own guys to get certified as Paramedics and staffing the LifeGuard Choppers instead of Paramedics from commercial services supplying the medics. Kind of how the State of Maryland does it.

PS

My source is VERY reliable!!

This is not directly related to the Trooper Exam, but while I was at the Vital Signs Conference this past weekend I saw a trooper at the NYSP Booth wearing black tactical pants and a black polo shirts that had the NYS seal with "New York State Police EMT" around it.

I was told my an anonymous source that the SP is looking to get pretty involved in EMS. There has been "some talk" about NYSP sending their own guys to get certified as Paramedics and staffing the LifeGuard Choppers instead of Paramedics from commercial services supplying the medics. Kind of how the State of Maryland does it.

PS

My source is VERY reliable!!

I don't know how reliable? I am assigned to the EMS Office, and that idea was floated about 4 years ago and dropped. There has been no discussion recently of any serious nature.

i've never seen so much advertising for the NYSP as i have this year, is there a shortage of troopers or something?

i've never seen so much advertising for the NYSP as i have this year, is there a shortage of troopers or something?

They are attempting to recruit everyone they can, so that they can gather the best, most diverse set of canidates ever. There also will be more Trooper positions added over the next few years, coupled with several hundred retirments.

They are attempting to recruit everyone they can, so that they can gather the best, most diverse set of canidates ever. There also will be more Trooper positions added over the next few years, coupled with several hundred retirments.

The goal set out is 25,000 to take the test.

Well they obviously aren't trying to recruit hard enough because you have to be 20 years old at time of the exam. Whatever happened to being 17/18 to take these tests???

Don't shoot me for asking this but...... what is the situation with volunteering if you are a New York State Trooper? Is it prohibited or frowned on by the union???????

This topic has come up in many conversations and no one has had the definite answer.

I remember seeing on the trooper website that a trooper from Milan NY (if I remember correctly) who was also a volunteer firefighter recieved and award for his service in the community, but I'm not sure if he was grandfathered in or not.

Thanks

Brian

Don't shoot me for asking this but...... what is the situation with volunteering if you are a New York State Trooper? Is it prohibited or frowned on by the union???????

This topic has come up in many conversations and no one has had the definite answer.

I remember seeing on the trooper website that a trooper from Milan NY (if I remember correctly) who was also a volunteer firefighter recieved and award for his service in the community, but I'm not sure if he was grandfathered in or not.

Thanks

Brian

I don't see HOW this could be an issue, aside from "an injury from firefighting preventing you from being able to perform duties as a NYSP".

Besides, how can someone tell you, that you cannot be a volunteer? From a legal standpoint, is that even possible?

I don't see HOW this could be an issue, aside from "an injury from firefighting preventing you from being able to perform duties as a NYSP".

Besides, how can someone tell you, that you cannot be a volunteer? From a legal standpoint, is that even possible?

There is a huge number of fire/EMS volunteers in the NYSP. The Major in charge of NYC Operations is a former FC here in Westchester. on LI, there is a Trooper who is currently a FC. Many examples of this statewide.

They are attempting to recruit everyone they can, so that they can gather the best, most diverse set of canidates ever.

If that's what they're really attempting to do, then the NYS law creating an upper age limit should be changed, raising the top age to around 40 (from 35). If you're 40 and can physically do the job, you shouldn't be eliminated purely because of your age. There are plenty of 35-40 year olds out there who would love to become troopers, but can't because of the age issue. In my opinion, age=life experience, which can be invaluable in developing a good sense of judgement, as well as dealing with the public. Just have to be physically fit enough to do the job.

i guess you haven't read the IAFF post. try to find it, its interesting...

If they hire you at 40, and assuming it is 20 years before you can retire with half pension. Then that would mean you would be at least 60 before eligible for retirement. I do not think they want a large amount of state troopers still working at 60 and beyond. Although you maybe physically capable now, at 60+ things change.

Any young person intrested in a career in public service should take this test and all other exams that come out ,if you score high on the exam you could take the job or just say no. Why do this every exam you takes serves as practice for the next The more test you see the better a test taker you become. As for being a volly and turning down a job I know as a young man or woman your Vol firehouse seems great fun,exciting and you have a group of friends there as you get older,married house payments things change NYST pays almost 100k. If anyone in the 15-22 age group reads this and says hes an @ss,talk to me in 10 yrs and let me know how things have changed. Just some advice from a not so old guy with lots of bills

As for being a volly and turning down a job I know as a young man or woman your Vol firehouse seems great fun,exciting and you have a group of friends there as you get older,married house payments things change NYST pays almost 100k. If anyone in the 15-22 age group reads this and says hes an @ss,talk to me in 10 yrs and let me know how things have changed. Just some advice from a not so old guy with lots of bills

My question about being a volunteer, was just an inquiry as to whether or not it would be possible to be both NYSP and a volunteer firefighter. I would never turn down a career because of a volunteer opportunity. Everyone has to make a living and live their life with their needs in mind.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

If they hire you at 40, and assuming it is 20 years before you can retire with half pension. Then that would mean you would be at least 60 before eligible for retirement. I do not think they want a large amount of state troopers still working at 60 and beyond. Although you maybe physically capable now, at 60+ things change.

Are there no administrative positions in the NYSP? I wouldn't say there are large numbers of 60+ troopers working, but I imagine there are a couple in the upper ranks. I could be wrong though. Anyone with any firsthand knowledge?

Are there no administrative positions in the NYSP? I wouldn't say there are large numbers of 60+ troopers working, but I imagine there are a couple in the upper ranks. I could be wrong though. Anyone with any firsthand knowledge?

Until this year the MANDATORY retirement age was 57. Just this year, it was raised to 60. The only one exempt from the mandatory retirement age is the Superintendent.

Just another note/perk: 12-hour schedule, and every other weekend is a three-day weekend, with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off.

Currently, you cannot have reached your 30th birthday on the test date, but that can be extended if you have Military service. So, for example, if you served four years in the Military, your maximum age is 34.

Does anyone know of ANY>>> Police agencies that don't have the cut off at age 35 or even younger?????, I would be very interested in becoming a cop but I guess I'm just too old now...

Take the test ! Good advise to take all exams for the experence. You never know, a chance to find a great job is looking you in the face.

Best of Luck to those who sign up !

:D

Just a heads up, deadline for this exam is this week! If you want and you feel you have what it takes to become a State Trooper, FILE NOW!!!! Or else, wait another 4 years, minimum.

Deadline to apply is Dec 1st...

For those who have applied, there are test prep classes scheduled:

SP Poughkeepsie

November

30th-7pm

December

8th- 10am & 5pm

14th- 7pm

15th- 10am & 5pm

17th- 7pm

18th- 10am

19th- 7pm

SP Hawthorne

November

29th- 7pm

December

14th- 10am

17th- 10am

18th- 7pm

19th- 10am

Email KRecruit@troopers.state.ny.us or call Tpr L. Holder at 845-677-7378 to register...

The best thing to do is to take the exam. Even if your situation changes down the line and you don't take the job, at the very least, you took a civil service exam and got your name on a list. And, you got some good practice in, too...

Does anyone know of ANY>>> Police agencies that don't have the cut off at age 35 or even younger?????, I would be very interested in becoming a cop but I guess I'm just too old now...

I think there's a NY state law (I thought it was 37), applies to PA, MTA cops as well as general municipalities.

From previous posts here, it seems Connecticut doesn't have the same rules.

I wish FDNY amng others didn't have age limits ... but that seems to be the way it is, and not like to change anytime soon :(

Until this year the MANDATORY retirement age was 57. Just this year, it was raised to 60. The only one exempt from the mandatory retirement age is the Superintendent.

I need to call Spitzer and schedule my interview for Superintendent. :D

Just want to say GOOD LUCK to all who applied for this exam!