Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jd783

Scary Truck Placement Video

22 posts in this topic

Glad they don't use their sticks like we do in the states, otherwise, there would have been someone at the tip(in most cases)

someone was in the bucket

Yup, you can see him duck down once the roof collapses.

I can see the letter now:

Dear Chief.......

You can see fire at the eves bottom right from the start. Not good at all.

ok instead of the oops, ouch, and marshmellows, all you young kids, tell me what was the problem or problems that led to this happening?

ok instead of the oops, ouch, and marshmellows, all you young kids, tell me what was the problem or problems that led to this happening?

Thanks for making this topic a useful one. From the video, it seems like theres no reason to vent the roof yourself because the fire is venting itself all ready. As for the apparatus and ladder placement, it seems that the apparatus is parked pretty close to the building (well within a collapse zone). they are using the bucket only for the master stream so there is no need to be that close. It looks like they are also trying to hit the fire from below it... raising the bucket would have helped them get a better shot at the fire. Doing all this the fire still might have come out from under the roof but at least the bucket wouldn't be right there.

just my thoughts

any other comments?

Edited by bibbles10504

To add to what bibbles said not enough water flowing out of that master stream, poor placement this rig was really just there for show

In the video, they parked the truck to close to the building. Use the tower's height to fight the fire from above & a safe distance away. It appears that they only have a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 goin up to the bucket. Secondly, it's not even being used as a masterstream. It's being used as a handline. Big fire needs BIG water!. I also don't see any other firrefighters on the fireground. I hope to god those guys aren't opperating under that roof with that much intense fire pushing out of it. The fire appears to be in a church or similar building. We all know how wide open those type of structures are. With that much fire showing, I'd have at least 2 ladder pipes in operation and various master streams. I don't know what else is going around te building so I don't know what else I'd do. This is a risk vs bennefit operation. I would want to dump as much water on that fire as possible. If the department had done a preplan (not saying they didn't) on this building, chances are they wouldn't be in the pickle they are now.

Edited by ltjay157

your too close to the building, the fire load is huge and you need more GPM on the fire. from that angle it looks like the truck is in the collapse zone.

To me, it looks like they had a great spot right on the street. Then again we only see a very short part of this fire, which I'm shore was a long one. So who knows what happened before...

As many of you guys added the placement of the ladder, the attack, and the amount of water their dummping is important I don't think I saw him wearing a mask which would probably lead to a pretty bad day for the guy in th bucket. I don't fully know ladder companies SOPs but should you have a mask on if you were fighting a blaze like this?

With propper placement of the ladder truck, you shouldn't need to wear a mask unless you're working at a hazmat fire. when i work in the bucket, i have my mask at ready just out of habit.

That second lot of videos show how close he was to the building, we are always taught to stay clear of the collapse zone with the truck. Those types of aerials can be operated from the ground so you would have to weigh up being that close when you have such poor pressure. Thankfully he was wearing a BA set. He was a lucky man to come out of that in one piece.

Throw another shrimp on the barbie. Definitly ruins a day, and (xfirefighter) love the Dear Chief. My question is where was the Chief, to let the Ladder be parked there.