Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

TZ Bridge jumper rescued by Tarrytown firefighters 11/10/07

15 posts in this topic

A great job by all involved in this incident especially the crew of Tarrytown Marine 5, Tarrytown 81-B1, and Greenburgh EMS.

TZ Bridge jumper rescued by Tarrytown firefighters

By KATHLEEN RYAN O'CONNOR

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 11, 2007)

TARRYTOWN - A 40-year-old Chappaqua resident is recovering after his rescue following a jump off the Tappan Zee Bridge yesterday morning.

Wrapped in a thick blanket but still looking chilled, Tarrytown firefighter Kelly Murphy yesterday recounted her plunge into the frigid waters of the Hudson River.

The worst part wasn't the roughly 58-degree water or the brisk fall wind - that she just shrugged off with a lift of her shoulders. The tough part is that she and her fellow firefighters with the department's Marine Unit have to make these runs at all. But they do, and with increasing frequency, said Tarrytown Fire Chief Domenic Morabito.

Yesterday morning, Murphy and her crewmates responded to a call that a person had jumped off the Tappan Zee Bridge. It was 9:15 a.m. when the first reports came in to 911. A state trooper on the span was able to see the body in the water and direct the firefighters to it quickly.

Murphy, 29, dove in to rescue the man - whose name was not released - and with firefighters Billy Logan Jr., Gene Gasparre and Jaime Valencia pulled him to safety. They hoisted him into their boat, a 28-foot Parker, and to a waiting ambulance. She was in street clothes, having just come home from lifeguarding at the Tarrytown YMCA. She said it's not the recognition or publicity that spurs her or her fellow firefighters to rush to the riverbank each time they get a call, just the opportunity to "help someone live."

It's unclear if yesterday's rescue will have a happy ending. The man was alert and conscious when they reached him but severely injured, bleeding heavily from the mouth.

Last night, state Trooper Glen Williams said the man was being treated at Westchester Medical Center. He did not have any further details on the man's condition.

Yesterday's jump was the seventh off the bridge this year. Morabito said the frequency of the attempts seemed to be increasing in recent years, though the installation of suicide hotline phones along the span in August appears to have slowed things down.

He doesn't expect that to last. "Unfortunately, we have more jumpers around the holidays," he said.

Morabito wasn't sure if the man had walked onto the span or abandoned a car. He also noted the assistance of the Sleepy Hollow Fire Department.

Traffic on the Rockland-bound side was heavily delayed for about an hour and a half.

Over the past 10 years, nearly 30 people have jumped to their deaths from the bridge.

The last attempt came in September, when a 33-year-old Westchester County woman was wrestled to safety after dangling from a bridge rail above the water for 20 minutes. A month before, a good Samaritan from New City talked an Orange County woman out of jumping - she was standing outside of her stopped car staring down at the water - as other motorists zoomed past. In July, a Thruway worker thwarted an attempt by a Westchester teen standing on the railing.

In May, a man fleeing authorities in New York City, New Jersey and Westchester in a tractor-trailer cab stopped on the bridge, jumped and survived at least the initial impact. Before that, the last to survive a jump was a 22-year-old Hastings-on-Hudson man who was rescued by members of the Tarrytown Fire Department. Gasparre and Murphy were also involved in that rescue.

Before that, Escolastico Arzu, a 43-year-old Bronx man, survived after fleeing his burning car in 2005. Arzu was engulfed in flames and jumped to save his life. A 17-year-old Suffern boy and a 32-year-old Bronx woman both survived jumps in 2004.

The last fatality was on March 20, when 28-year-old Sean Michael McKeever of Sullivan County jumped to his death.

Wow. I still think they should put some sort of fence up. I've noticed they've placed "Suicide Phones" and signs on the bridge, but if someone is that determined...

I wonder if the GWB has the same statistics? Almost seems like the TZ Bridge Patrol could justify their own marine unit, lol. Jumpers down seem to be the bread and butter of Marine 5. By the way, is it in the water year 'round?

I think those suicide phones are too hard to find. I spotted them right before the toll plazas and at the entrance of the bridge on the Rockland side. The signs just say "suicide hotline phone ahead" but don't give specific information. If someone is so distressed to jump, they will certainly have difficulty finding these phones, if they choose to do so at all.

Marine 5 is not in the water year round. It was supposed to have been out by now, but has yet to be taken out. It was definately a good thing that boat was still in the water because who knows how much longer he would've lasted. In the winter months, I believe we sometimes use Stilowski's Tow Boat which is in the water year round.

Edited by gpdexplorer

Tis' the season...for Suicides that is...take a look at the numbers, attempts such as this increase during the next month or so!

Great job by Tarrytown!

I just wonder if any bonehead has ever jumped off closer to shore and landed on ICE in the winter?

GREAT JOB !!! Tarrytown F.D. .Hope it slows down on the bridge for you.

Any idea of number of jumpers from other bridges or structures around here.

Bear Mountain Bridge once in a while.

GWB or any of the City bridges?

great job by TFD maybe they should put a sign on the bridge---if you really want to die try the Bear Mountain Bridge It' a lot higher and less of a toll.

again great job TFD

great job by TFD maybe they should put a sign on the bridge---if you really want to die try the Bear Mountain Bridge It' a lot higher and less of a toll.

again great job TFD

Come to think of it, most of the jumpers leap from the north side. No tolls northbound!

Nice job TFD Marine 5, Kelley Murphy and TVAC 81-B1. Be safe.

Paul

LOL. Bear Mountain is a heck of a lot higher mid span that the TZB. If I remember correctly the BMB is high enough that you can hit max velocity just prior to hitting the water.

Fence or no fence they will still find a way. Determined people always do. I remember a documentary about the Golden Gate Bridge and how they set up cameras to film the bridge and I forget how many jumpers they caught on camera. Just think how many people jump off that bridge and no one even knows about it.

I remember i guy i know once suggesting they put bartenders on bridges. He was joking of course. But he said have the bartenders there and have it set up between certain hours, so as not to disturb rush hour. If dispondant people want to jump, let them talk to the "barkeep," have a few drinks and think about things. If they still want to do it, let them.

All kidding aside, because this certainly isn't a joking matter, something more needs to be done. As ALSfirefighter said, a fence wont do the trick, they'll still find a way. I really dont think the phones are worth a damn either, but hey, at least they're trying different things and offering some sort of help.

I'm not a big fan of heights and just looking over the railings of bridges as im driving gives me the creeps lol. How people can go through with it is beyond me. The fact that they are so depressed and desperate is just plain scary and sad.

Hell, i just read in the Daily News today about a kid at NYU suffocatting himself with a plastic bag over his head in his dorm room!

If someone is so distressed to jump, they will certainly have difficulty finding these phones, if they choose to do so at all.

I agree no matter what we do to prevent it there will always be a way no matter how much of a challenge it may be to attempt it. As always its the first responders who have to deal with these problems. Good job TFD stay warm and stay safe!