Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Mount Vernon Fire Commisioner Fired

17 posts in this topic

my phone has been ringing,beeping and I am getting some strong reports that the mayor of Mt Vernon has fired the Fire commissioner? Sources say that the "COMMISH" showed up at FDMV HQ with MVPD officers and was seen cleaning out his car and handing the keys to the Police officer. For a full report go to news 12 or lowhud.com to view it on RNN.

Edited by hudson144

This could be the start of some good things coming. Pack the flashlights box's and then the light at the end of tunnel is shining brite. Good luck guys it can only get better.

Jody I'm still gonna get my personnel day right?

Man this stuff just doesnt end.

Jim

An interview with Ernie on RNN stated he was let go for budget resons. Possibly more high level people to go too.

Is a commissioner of public safety going to come out of this? in the Rnn interview mayor Davis mentioned something about saving money. Just a thought or more so a guess!

Well it probably a combination of 1.)FD not supporting Davis for reelection and 2.)the FDMV HQ fiasco that probably is causing this. He probably didn't have more than about a month to have the position anyway...

Is a commissioner of public safety going to come out of this? in the Rnn interview mayor Davis mentioned something about saving money. Just a thought or more so a guess!

You think Chung is going to take over running both police and fire?

Davis terminates Mount Vernon fire commissioner

By DESIREE GRAND

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 20, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON - In his final weeks in office, Mayor Ernest Davis has dismissed Fire Commissioner Nicholas Cicchetti, whom he first appointed to a city post in 1999.

The mayor called the move a budgetary one, and hinted that other positions could also be on the chopping block.

He said the termination had nothing to do with politics or the planned closure of fire headquarters to deal with mold and other damage.

"The commissioner is no longer with us, as of today," Davis confirmed yesterday afternoon. "He is seeking other opportunities and we are looking at a tough budget. We are looking for ways to save money."

Davis lost the mayor's race earlier this month to Democrat Clinton Young, who was supported by the Democratic party establishment after beating Davis in the September primary.

Cicchetti is the vice chairman of the city Democratic committee, leading some to speculate his firing was more an issue of loyalty than dollars.

Cicchetti is a podiatrist who was the former president of the Italian Civic Association. He was a district leader for the city Democratic committee and has served on the board of directors at the Mount Vernon Neighborhood Health Center. In 1999 he was appointed deputy commissioner and the following year was named head of the fire department.

He did not return calls yesterday seeking comment, but in an interview last week he spoke of Davis fondly, even calling him "my mayor."

Davis would not comment on Cicchetti's work performance, except for a tepid summary.

"I entrusted that department to him for eight years and we have had our ups and downs. He has done a reasonable job," Davis said. "But there comes a time, like it came for me, that you have to seek other avenues of expression."

Deputy Commissioner Deborah Norman is expected to manage the 143-member department in the interim, until Young brings in his transition team. Norman is a retired Army master sergeant.

Davis said the 2008 budget will be a lean one and said some departments might be merged to save costs.

"For anyone who is mayor it will be a challenge," he said.

Davis said the 2008 budget will be a lean one and said some departments might be merged to save costs.

Given Chong's history in White Plains where they have a combined Department of Public Safety, this conjecture may have some legs. We'll have to see where it goes!

when the mayor elect become the mayor, he is capable of reinstating the commisioner his job. you guys think that has a chance of happening?

anything is possible-its called politics!!!