Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Relay Pumping & Drafting

15 posts in this topic

I'm just curious to see if any departments consistently run relay pumping and drafting drills?

Although some of us (like myself) are so used to hydrants, have we forgotten (or dulled) our relay pumping and drafting skills? I know I learned both in Probie school as well as during my probationary period, but have never had the oppurtunity to practice or apply those skills in a while. I'm sure many other FF/Apparatus Operators are with me here?

As recent events have shown us, these skills can be critical even with a hyranted district. This skill should be practiced with all apparatus operators a couple of times a year. I know a lot of departments are into technical rescue training now, as that's the latest fire department "fad", but it's my opinion we need water to put the fire out. And with the ever-expanding scope of a firefighters duties, our primary role and most efficient way to keep ourselves safe and control the situation is to put the fire OUT.

I was just at a drill a few months ago run by Cont. Village doing just that, water relay into portable pools. Up here where we really don't have hydrants the norm is to send the first due to the house, dropping LDH at the bottom of the driveway. The second due come in hooks up and when the tanker arrives sets up to pump out of the pool and pumps to the first due. A real easy system one you get set up. An extra look stretch would mean a third pumper with a relay in the middle. Not unusual in the more rural areas.

this is something that is always discussed at my firehouse between the "old timers" they used to do allot of relay pumping and drafting in sections of my town. but as time grew on and hydrant and water mains evolved, this art has been lost. I think it should be practiced and taught. because one day a scenario that will entail a relay of a draft will come up and we (as departments) need to be ready for anything that is thrown at us

I agree, it should be more a part of training. Especially if you have certain areas that have no hydrants. We actually just spoke about having a large scale drafting and relay pumping drill in the near future, so any depts around Pleasantville let me know if your interested.

Email me at ascopino@pfdny.org

My response area still does not have an adequate water system. We are taught from day 1 on how to draft and relay. I see more departments calling in Tankers right away. No one likes to lay (or pick up ) a lot of hose but it is something that we all need to do and practice. My company does at least 3-4 relay drills a year with the other companies in the department.

I also agree that it should be a part of regular training, esspecially if a major water main break occurs in your town and you need to set up a spot as a draft site for filling up engines and possiblly tankers if your chief called for them.

Edited by pcfdrfd700

I just got cleared at work to be an MPO and had to do a couple of drafting drills to get used to it. Where I work, we have hydrants but the surrounding community doesn't. Its a little bit of a culture shock to me sine I came from a vollie department with hydrants every 500 or so feet. I did learn how to draft years ago when I first became a certified driver but never actually had to employ drafting at an incident. Now where I work, its a real scenario if we get called mutual aid to another town.

Its a little bit of a culture shock to me sine I came from a vollie department with hydrants every 500 or so feet.

Hydrants take all the fun out of firefighting. :rolleyes:

My Dept. Does drafting and relay pumpin all the time. We Have NO hydrants whatsoever. Except the dry hydrants that flow to a lake.

In Dutchess County this past September, The Harlem Valley Noth Clove Training Assoc. and the Northeast Dutchess Training Assoc. jointly sponsered a 2 day Rural Water Supply Seminar taught by Larrry Davis. Great training ! During the evolution part we set up a Tanker operation which was able to provide enough water to flow 1100 GPM for over two hours. Rombout provided the Engine at the draft site and the water was shuttled by 4 Tankers ( Wassaic, East Fishkill, Pleasant Valley, and Beekman) and 1 Engine (1000 Gal. Tank and Dump valve) from Union Vale. A Dover Plains engine and another engine from Union Vale flowed the water at the drill site (Union Vale Middle School). Here are some photos I took at the draft site.

post-4247-1196283302.jpgpost-4247-1196283323.jpg[att

chment=3976:DSCN0752__Small_.JPG]post-4247-1196283402.jpg

post-4247-1196283368.jpg

Hydrants take all the fun out of firefighting. :rolleyes:

Yah but I will never swear again while digging for a hydrant in the snow again! LOL :blink:

One of the things we do quite a bit is to just put up a hydraulics problem on the board. We also go out and draft a dry hydrant or pond/lake on a fairly regular basis. Very important skills like anything else we do on an infrequent basis. Once or twice a year we will do a multi company drill with water/tanker movement.

This is another case of losing what at one time was a basic and necessary skill for not only your pump operator but your engine company as a whole ( and please, I do realise that in many departments that drafting and relaying are still common practice and this is not directed at you). As has been touched on in a previous post any community from the largest city to a small hamlet that normally works with a hydrant system may be thrown into a situation where either, or both, of these procedures may have to be accomplished whether it be a water main break, low pressure situation or a mutual aid call.

These are evolutions that can be easily incorporated into your regular drivers training/ drill routines possibly with the exception of those communities whose only drafting sources are salt water ( a nightmare of its' own). The best part is that with the new draft pond at the training center, doing engine co. training at the burn house or drill tower can now accomplish two different evolutions if you feel up to it.

It all gets back to knowing the basics, if you know those everything else will be a piece of cake.

We really don't have any dependable hydrants, so everything we do in by drafting, either directly from a water source or through dry hydrants, with tanker operations. The structure fire we had at 1 wWallace Road 11/27, was a classic example. E 147 set up at a pond and filled Tankers. In addition to our own, we used tankers from Brewster, Goldens Bridge, South Salem, as well as from Ridgefield and Mill Plaion Connecticut. It actually worked out well. While there was considerable damage to the interior of the house, it remains structurally sound. Good interior attack = Good save.

I'm just curious to see if any departments consistently run relay pumping and drafting drills?

Although some of us (like myself) are so used to hydrants, have we forgotten (or dulled) our relay pumping and drafting skills? I know I learned both in Probie school as well as during my probationary period, but have never had the oppurtunity to practice or apply those skills in a while. I'm sure many other FF/Apparatus Operators are with me here?

As recent events have shown us, these skills can be critical even with a hyranted district. This skill should be practiced with all apparatus operators a couple of times a year. I know a lot of departments are into technical rescue training now, as that's the latest fire department "fad", but it's my opinion we need water to put the fire out. And with the ever-expanding scope of a firefighters duties, our primary role and most efficient way to keep ourselves safe and control the situation is to put the fire OUT.

The way my department does it is on a job you think you might be able to handle if you got in quick is to get the first in engine where you want it and start attack with tank water.The tanker we run with follows the engine in and pumps to the engine while crews remove portable pond and set it up out in the street.We have 4 other tankers in town that get toned when fire is confirmed . next engine in reverse lays to the street and drafts from pond and the incoming tankers dump in pond. We have third engine set up at a fill site to fill tankers that have dumped.When done that way it gives you a little extra time to set up without a pause for water.Works well for us'