Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOC22

Nextel Phone Service Problems

67 posts in this topic

Spoke to a Nextel government accounts rep about the continuing problems. His reply was that Nextel wasn't meant to be a "primary" communications modality, and as such the service was subject to "periodic" interruption in certain areas where hardware was being updated or repaired. However, he then stated that there were no such repairs/updates going on in our area. I asked why Nextel was going after public safety accounts as vigorously as it was, and he stated that the data transmission, GPS and Internet access options were the key marketing foci in that market, along with the "secondary voice capabilities" of the iDen technology.

In other words, we ain't a priority.

Just so we all know where Nextel stands.

Skoot.

i spoke to them at lenght today..... they mentioned tower problems in Ardsley & North Bronx...... they also mentioned that the i730 is having problems and said to go to a local nextel repair center and get a 'clip' for behind the battery which will "fix all the problems that you are having"......

Spoke to a Nextel government accounts rep about the continuing problems.  His reply was that Nextel wasn't meant to be a "primary" communications modality, and as such the service was subject to "periodic" interruption in certain areas where hardware was being updated or repaired.  However, he then stated that there were no such repairs/updates going on in our area.  I asked why Nextel was going after public safety accounts as vigorously as it was, and he stated that the data transmission, GPS and Internet access options were the key marketing foci in that market, along with the "secondary voice capabilities" of the iDen technology.

In other words, we ain't a priority.

Just so we all know where Nextel stands.

Skoot.

Aall the more reason we should use those addresses posted earlier in this thread and inundate them with paper!!!!!!!

Switch to Verizon you will be much happier. Its also a lot easier not hearing the annoying beep beep at the worst time.

I really hate to play the devils avocate here, but I havn't experianced and serious problems, nor has anyone I know here in southern westchester. Could be regional thing

Definately a regional thing. Service in Northern Westchester blows!!!!!

im in greenburgh and its bad year too... so its not just the north

Ya same here - all though I havent gotten this message all week. Who knows?

I use an i305 at work, it seems to work much, much better than my personal i730, which sucks for a number of reasons!

I'm seriously contemplating other options, but unforutnetly, direct conact has me tied down to Nextel. Unfortunetly, Nextel probaly knows this...which is why they do not care. If only another company made a compatible w/ Nextel Iden wireless DC network. There needs to be some competition.

Nextel would probably never allow interconnectivity with thier network for D/Cs simply because it is such a huge selling point. Look how popular it is. Hell, the patent expired on it a year or so ago and others have developed and launched similar services, but how many have taken off? I don't know anybody with a phone from a competitor that uses Direct Connect like service. The only way they would allow others on to thier iDen network is if other services take off and people demand connectivity between services and they are forced by say the FCC to do it. Thats my prediction.

My nextel's behavior seems to have improved in the last week or so. Anybody else noticed any improvement?

It does seem better. Just got an update kit from NEXTEL to fix the GPS problem seemed to also work.

I was shocked when the Nextel at work actually WORKED while sitting on the table next to me in Lewisboro. My guess is the dropped leaves makes for slightly better reception. Or it could be the new i305 has better reception. My i1000 still sucks tho.

Something I'm wondering about after hearing the variety of problems and different phones people have had problems with: As Nextel upgrades their equipment, could it be we need to upgrade the software in our phones?

"Father, father, come quick. It's a thanksgiving miracle!!!"

It's about time they worked again. Now, if only my digital cable would work when I watched it.....

Has anybody had any experience with Nextel's New I860 phone w/ built- in digital camera?

the i860 is a nice phone. a few of my buddys have it. it's pretty easy to use after getting used to the additional features for the camera and what to do with the picture after you take it. i currently have the i830. u know u can watch tv on the thing if u subscribe to it. i hope everyone knows about the 10% discount or whatever it is for firefighters...

Psssst!

Maybe it was Nextel repairmen who fixed the Nextel service but

wiped out our 911 system after reading EMTBravo. LOL!

It has been a little better. :D

Actually mine has been good lately. No more dropped calls or improper "user not available" messages. Seems OK now.

Yeah that is a good thing, but how about that other thing I think they call it Priorety Connect Its supposed to allow phones that have it to work in DC during major disasters when the public is limited. I looked into it but as my local sales people said, you just about have to be FBI which really sucks. Anybody know anything about this?

I HATE NEXTEL (and Motorola cell phones)MORE THAN EVER TONIGHT.

Yet again, my i730, the POS it is, has malfunctioned. This time, when I press the DC key to talk to somebody, it keeps keying up with that stupid intiation chirp and wont stop. This will be my fourth i730 phone in 10 months. I take care of my phone, I didnt drop it, expose it etc. This will be my last i730, and I am now seriously considering dropping Nextel altogther. I'm also sick ofthe outrageously high bill, considering I can probaly get the service for half the cost per month with another provider such as Cingular, and have a better selection of phones to pick from. Although I love Direct Connect, it may have come to the point where I'd rather save the money and hassles of Nextel.

What ever happened to Motorola quality???

Hey I saw something last nite on Channel 12 trailer is it true Sprint is trying to buy out nextel if it is that would help coverage area ???? Anybody have any info, Yes I have gone thru 8 phones myself but with everything in my life I cant drop Nextel heck I can talk to Gina in Calif. better than i can when we are both in Westchester.

Yet again, my i730, the POS it is, has malfunctioned. This time, when I press the DC key to talk to somebody, it keeps keying up with that stupid intiation chirp and wont stop. This will be my fourth i730 phone in 10 months. I take care of my phone, I didnt drop it, expose it etc.  This will be my last  i730, and I am now seriously considering dropping Nextel altogther.  I'm also sick ofthe outrageously high bill, considering I can probaly get the service for half the cost per month with another provider such as Cingular, and have a better selection of phones to pick from. Although I love Direct Connect, it may have come to the point where I'd rather save the money and hassles of Nextel.  

Be careful of cingular, my nephew had it and he hated it. He finally went with Verizon. He says it works MUCH better.

Yet again, my i730, the POS it is, has malfunctioned. This time, when I press the DC key to talk to somebody, it keeps keying up with that stupid intiation chirp and wont stop. This will be my fourth i730 phone in 10 months. I take care of my phone, I didnt drop it, expose it etc.  This will be my last  i730, and I am now seriously considering dropping Nextel altogther.  I'm also sick ofthe outrageously high bill, considering I can probaly get the service for half the cost per month with another provider such as Cingular, and have a better selection of phones to pick from. Although I love Direct Connect, it may have come to the point where I'd rather save the money and hassles of Nextel.  

Actually, I talked to somebody who knows Nextel and their phones and he even said that the I730 is among the worst of the Nextel phones 830 and 860 are MUCH better.

do anyof you think with the sprint merger that nextel will offer better service?

From what I've read and heard it's supposed to BUT I have a question about that: Sprint and Nextel operate using two completely different technologies. So are we all gonna have to BUY new phones or will Sprint Nextel do something for us?

I read somewhere that nextel was talking about switching over to the technology that sprint uses anyway.... which will be a pain for all nextel users. (new phones for all!)

Yes I read the same thing, but maybe if we are lucky, I also read that Sprint has and uses diffrent phone manufactures and hopefully they will be more to chose from and not be as expensive. Hopefully the coverage will improve

well maybe i should hold off on getting a new phone. i still have an i30sx