Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fed up with bad drivers?

32 posts in this topic

Is it hard to believe what goes on out on our roads? The Journal News/LoHud.com wants your true horror stories of speeders, weavers, non-signallers and other bad drivers you've had the misfortune to encounter behind the wheel, causing near-accidents or worse?

Call Transportation Writer Caren Halbfinger today, at 914-694-5004, or e-mail her with your daytime number, at chalbfin@lohud.com

(from lohud.com)

as drivers of emergency vehicles I'm sure we have all witnessed the morons on the road...lately my peeve has been drivers who don’t turn on their friggin headlights.

I’ve seen so many of them on Rte. 22 between white plains and north white plains lately…dangerous stuff.

as drivers of emergency vehicles im sure we have all witnesses the morons on the road...lately my peeve has been drivers who don't turn on their friggin headlights.

Amen to that. I'm not above criticising my adopted nation when it's warranted (I'm a Brit by birth, American by choice) and I have to say I'm less than impressed with the standard of driving over here. I drive around using what I call the 'seven minute rule'; I remember at all times that those drivers around me have passed a test which lasts around seven minutes and has a... what?... 98% pass rate? Back in the UK, driving tests last around 45 minutes and I think less than 50% pass first time...

My current pet peeve is drivers in left-turn lanes at traffic signals... you're going straight through the intersection with a green light, morons coming the opposite way and turning left will turn left just in front of you, forcing you to brake and/or swerve, as if you weren't there. Or as if they had a green left-turn arrow, which they don't...

The number of times I've nearly been clobbered when heading up Weaver St., across Palmer, heading for the firehouse in Mamaroneck is downright scary.

Mike

All you have to do is watch the car ads on TV then you know where the bad driving is coming from. Everybody speeds regardless of terrain/weather/road conditions and other drivers.

WELL I COMMUTE TO THE BRONX DAILY SO ITS ON 684 @ EXIT 7 OFF THE HUTCH @ THE WHITESTONE BRIDGE.

1 .. THE.. ABSOLUTE MORONS WHO CRUISE THE LEFT LANE @ 55-60 MPH IN A POSTED 65

2 .. THE.. OUTRIGHT GENIOUSES THAT JUST DONT SIGNAL FOR A LANE CHANGE

3 .. THE.. HEY I SIGNALED IM COMING OVER WITHOUT USING MY MIRRORS AT ALL

4 .. THE.. HEY I DRIVE A BEAMER OR A BENZ AND YOU JUST NEED TO GET OUT OF MY WAY BECAUSE YES I DO OWN THE ROAD

5 .. THE BRAINIACS WHO CUT YOU OFF TOO DRIVE SLOWER THAN YOU

6.. AND MY FAVORITE I JUST COULDNT WAKE UP 10 MINUTES EARLIER AND I NEED TO PUT ON MY MAKEUP OR I NEED TO SHAVE

THEN THERES THE INCONSIDERATE A..HOLES YOUR DRIVBING BEHIND THEMWITH YOUR BLUE LIGHTS ON AND THEY EITHER HAVE TUNNEL VISION AND DONT LOOK IN THE MIRROR... OR JUST LOOK AND DONT GIVE A CRAP THAT SOME OLD LADY IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK AND NEEDS AN AMBULANCE BUT HEY WHEN YOU GET TO THEIR HOUSE ITS OHH WHAT TOOK SO LONG IVE BEEN STUCK ON THE BOWL FOR 25 MINUTES BECAUSE I CANT GET UP BECAUSE I HAVENT GONE TO DIALASIS IN 4 DAYS AND IM 300 LBS OVERWEIGHT OK I FEEL BETTER I VENTED THANX FOR LISTENING WHERE DO I PAY MY COPAY DOC..

people are horrible drivers because they are rude. we are a consistently rude society. rude in line at the grocery store, rude waiting for a doctors appointment, rude while driving. if everyone would just take a deep breath before getting in their car and just take time in driving to where they need to get and stop being impatient a** holes- the road would be a much safer place (well...that and raising the driving age to 21). its crazy to think of the amount of people that honk because you sat at a red light for an extra 2 seconds, or that swerve and tailgate because grandma's going the speed limit instead of 10mph over. just take it easy and take your time...it makes life so much better.

on another off-rant note: a blue light is absolutely no reason to drive faster than you should be or drive any differently than any other driver on the road. an emergency will still be an emergency when you get there. we all know how most cardiac arrests end up- they will still be flat line when you get there. a blue light is absolutely not an excuse to drive fast, drive impatient, or break any laws. it does no good to anyone involved. and when you create an accident by driving like some a** hole, your going to look like an even bigger a** hole when your own department shows up to extricate the old lady you just smashed into.

drive safe everyone! :)

Edited by ann11682

people are horrible drivers because they are rude. we are a consistently rude society. rude in line at the grocery store, rude waiting for a doctors appointment, rude while driving. if everyone would just take a deep breath before getting in their car and just take time in driving to where they need to get and stop being impatient a** holes- the road would be a much safer place (well...that and raising the driving age to 21). its crazy to think of the amount of people that honk because you sat at a red light for an extra 2 seconds, or that swerve and tailgate because grandma's going the speed limit instead of 10mph over. just take it easy and take your time...it makes life so much better.

on another off-rant note: a blue light is absolutely no reason to drive faster than you should be or drive any differently than any other driver on the road. an emergency will still be an emergency when you get there. we all know how most cardiac arrests end up- they will still be flat line when you get there. a blue light is absolutely not an excuse to drive fast, drive impatient, or break any laws. it does no good to anyone involved. and when you create an accident by driving like some a** hole, your going to look like an even bigger a** hole when your own department shows up to extricate the old lady you just smashed into.

drive safe everyone! :)

UNDERSTOOD I HAVE BEEN DRIVING PROFESIONALY (TRUCKS) FOR ABOUT 15-17 YEARS .

I DRIVE NO DIFFERENT BLUE LIGHTS ON THAN I DO @ ANY OTHER TIME .

I HAVE SEEN THE A**WHOLES YOU SPEAK OF BUT...YOU CANT LUMP EVERY VOLLY INTO THE SAME CATEGORY...

ITS NOTHING MORE THAN COMMON COURTESY TO PULL OVER A BIT AND LET US PASS AS PER IT BEING A CARDIAC THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE BUT WHEN ITS YOU OR YOUR KID @ THAT EXTRICATION TIME IS CRITICAL AND EVERY SECOND COUNTS FROM DISPATCH TO WORKING TO HOSPITAL EVERY SECOND COUNTS.....

.OUR PATIENTS DESERVE A TIMELY AND SAFE RESPONSE

We all know there are morons out on the roads. All the more we have to drive with due regard.

.UNDERSTOOD I HAVE BEEN DRIVING PROFESIONALY (TRUCKS) FOR ABOUT 15-17 YEARS .

I HAVE SEEN THE A**WHOLES YOU SPEAK OF BUT...YOU CANT LUMP EVERY VOLLY INTO THE SAME CATEGORY...

ITS NOTHING MORE THAN COMMON COURTESY TO PULL OVER A BIT AND LET US PASS AS PER IT BEING A CARDIAC THAT WAS JUST AN EXAMPLE BUT WHEN ITS YOU OR YOUR KID @ THAT EXTRICATION TIME IS CRITICAL AND EVERY SECOND COUNTS FROM DISPATCH TO WORKING TO HOSPITAL EVERY SECOND COUNTS.....

To quote ALSfirefighter: "Easy on the caps, bro! They're hard to read!" :o

If you're going to cite patient advocacy as a concern, why don't you staff your ambulance to reduce response times? I don't care where you provide your EMS, if you have to drop what you're doing at home, drive to the station to pick up the ambulance (blue/green lights flickering and flashing or not), wait for your crew to assemble, and then drive to the scene the infarct your "cardiac" was suffering from is worse and the extrication is still waiting.

"Every second counts" but you don't staff your ambulance to save minutes. Hmm... I could see this being used to counter your argument.

It may be courteous but there is absolutely no requirement - nor are people educated on what they actually are for - for someone to move over to let someone with a blue/green light to pass. Since they don't yield to actual emergency vehicles, what makes you think they give a teeny tiny rat's tail about a blue or green light? People don't know or care if you're going to a cardiac/extrication/grandma can't get up call!

Back to the original topic (soapbox put away for now)...

Amen to that. I'm not above criticising my adopted nation when it's warranted (I'm a Brit by birth, American by choice) and I have to say I'm less than impressed with the standard of driving over here. I drive around using what I call the 'seven minute rule'; I remember at all times that those drivers around me have passed a test which lasts around seven minutes and has a... what?... 98% pass rate? Back in the UK, driving tests last around 45 minutes and I think less than 50% pass first time...

Here's the real problem and abaduck does a great job pointing it out. We don't educate drivers or insure competency in anything. If you can navigate without crashing into something for less than 10 minutes, you're going to receive a license to drive anywhere, anytime, in any conditions, and on any type of roadway.

Wanna fix the problem? Have the DHS or TSA take over driver's licensing to improve our homeland security...

There'll be different tests for:

city driving,

suburban driving,

rural driving,

paved roads,

unpaved roads,

daytime clear/dry,

nighttime clear/dry,

daytime rain,

nighttime rain,

daytime snow,

nighttime snow,

highway/interestate,

merging,

passing,

alone in the car,

passengers in the car,

mall parking lots at Christmastime,

did I miss any???? :P

Sorry, but I pulled you over because you don't have your rush hour endorsement displayed on the car!!!

And it will take years for someone to actually get a license because they'll be so busy taking tests!!! :lol:

I thought the graduated licensing process that NY adopted a while back was going to fix things but sadly it has not. Wasn't that supposed to insure that new drivers had to drive x number of hours at night, etc. ????

Well just so everyone knows, I drive around with a pen and paper in my car and I try and write down plate numbers if there is something I see really bad. Then when I get to work if I am still pissed, I will fill out the right paperwork and mail them their ticket. I don't do it that often because by the time I get into work after I witness the infraction, I don't feel like doing anything about it.

I see it all when I am not working.

Remember DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT.

Well just so everyone knows, I drive around with a pen and paper in my car and I try and write down plate numbers if there is something I see really bad. Then when I get to work if I am still pissed, I will fill out the right paperwork and mail them their ticket.

Hmm... No disrespect to you or any police officers, and I don't drive dangerously or wrecklessly, but do you really do this? What sort of ticket are we talking about here? I'm also not a lawyer, but I have had traffic tickets before, and I'm quite confident that wouldn't hold up in the courtroom... would it? You couldn't know who was driving the car, or their speed... in fact the list of uncertainties is way too long to post. So what's the point?

Trust me I get angry at some of the things these people do too (I used to be an a$$hole driver, so I'm even more aware), and I wish this kind of thing would work, but how is that possible?

Chris, are you out of your mind saying that DHS or TSA should administer the exam? Not stating the obvious that neither has anything to do with roads. Both agencies are run so poorly and inefficiently that it would be a blood and crip reunion like it already is at the airport. My friend did TSA before getting hired for a fire dept when he was discharged from the Navy. The stories I have been told about these animals is unreal.

Hmm... No disrespect to you or any police officers, and I don't drive dangerously or wrecklessly, but do you really do this? What sort of ticket are we talking about here? I'm also not a lawyer, but I have had traffic tickets before, and I'm quite confident that wouldn't hold up in the courtroom... would it? You couldn't know who was driving the car, or their speed... in fact the list of uncertainties is way too long to post. So what's the point?

Trust me I get angry at some of the things these people do too (I used to be an a$$hole driver, so I'm even more aware), and I wish this kind of thing would work, but how is that possible?

Actually it is called doing a long form information and if I think that somebody is driving too reckless I most certainly write down the information. I also call the police depending what road I am on and if I don't have my family in the car and don't need to be anywhere I might even keep following them till the POLICE get there.

Well the registered owner of the VEH would get the ticket. Let them take care of it with however was driving the car. If I can ID the Driver then they would get the ticket. So bring me to court, now you are being inconvienced and it might even make you think before DRIVING LIKE A MORON. I know many of cops who have done this before. Not sure of their out comes but I know it can be done.

Don't think this is what I am doing when I am driving though. I don't. UNLESS I SEE SOMETHING REALLY BAD and that usually happens on the HIGHWAY. ROADRAGE is GENERALLY what PISSES ME OFF.

Yes esspecially the drivers that run the stop signs when I have the right of way.

UNDERSTOOD I HAVE BEEN DRIVING PROFESIONALY (TRUCKS) FOR ABOUT 15-17 YEARS .

most certainly. please don't interpret me lumping all volunteers into ANY category. i am more than willing to pull over for any driver with a blue light responding to a call, as long as they don't tailgate and swerve behind me (and this has happened to me before...i actually watched a blue light driver almost cream a motorcycle. and let me tell you- if it had turned into an mva, i probably would have slapped they guy in the face...but anyways, i understand every minute to be critical, but like i said previous in creating another emergency, your not helping anyone- responding is going to take time no matter what

Well just so everyone knows, I drive around with a pen and paper in my car and I try and write down plate numbers if there is something I see really bad. Then when I get to work if I am still pissed, I will fill out the right paperwork and mail them their ticket. I don't do it that often because by the time I get into work after I witness the infraction, I don't feel like doing anything about it.

uhm...is that legal?

well the saying is "a cop is never off duty," right?

well the saying is "a cop is never off duty," right?

I'm not an expert on the topic by any means, but from my understanding even cops have to practice limits while off duty, such as following different protocol with arrests, so i would think there would be something pertaining to the subject of writing tickets? maybe?

i honestly can't wait for the day our car registration stickers hold chips that speed limit readers, police officials, etc. can read when all you do is drive by and all they have to do...is mail you a ticket. wont it be great- no wasted energy to police officers to have to pull people over, and little worry as to whose driving like a jerk on the road when cops are busy doing more productive things

How about the 'invincible' drivers of 4x4's and suv's... 70+mph rain or shine... "I have 4 wheel drive, I can go anywhere, at normal speed"

EMS/Fire definition = 4 wheel drive means further in the woods off the roadway..

I drive fast, but I don't think I am a bad driver. I always use my turn signal, even if I don't stop to turn on RED all of the time...I talk on my cell phone constantly, cause everyone always calls me when I am DRIVING! I do not drive in the left lane, I pass at a high rate of speed and then move into the driving lane, which is on the right! I do not tailgate, but sometimes I have to pass on the right because people don't pay attention and see me coming! When I run traffic lights...I stop first and make sure it is clear...

Maybe I am a bad driver...LOL

Chris, are you out of your mind saying that DHS or TSA should administer the exam? Not stating the obvious that neither has anything to do with roads. Both agencies are run so poorly and inefficiently that it would be a blood and crip reunion like it already is at the airport. My friend did TSA before getting hired for a fire dept when he was discharged from the Navy. The stories I have been told about these animals is unreal.

I am out of my mind but that had nothing at all to do with the post. My suggestion about TSA and DHS was sarcasm pure and simple. You're absolutely right that they're poorly run and inefficient.

The part about changing the licensing process was sincere though. It's a joke!

Actually it is called doing a long form information and if I think that somebody is driving too reckless I most certainly write down the information. I also call the police depending what road I am on and if I don't have my family in the car and don't need to be anywhere I might even keep following them till the POLICE get there.

Well the registered owner of the VEH would get the ticket. Let them take care of it with however was driving the car. If I can ID the Driver then they would get the ticket. So bring me to court, now you are being inconvienced and it might even make you think before DRIVING LIKE A MORON. I know many of cops who have done this before. Not sure of their out comes but I know it can be done.

Don't think this is what I am doing when I am driving though. I don't. UNLESS I SEE SOMETHING REALLY BAD and that usually happens on the HIGHWAY. ROADRAGE is GENERALLY what PISSES ME OFF.

We may need a lawyer but unless I'm mistaken, an information must be personally served upon the defendant (as per NYS CPL) so mailing it is not legal service. Vehicle and traffic offenses are also issued to the operator of the vehicle and not the owner unless it is a charge such as facilitating aggravated unlicenesed operation or weight violations.

Sounds like you should take mass transit to work or maybe subsribe to anger management courses. It's not personal and we're badly outnumbered by those kinds of drivers!!!

:P

Let's not lump EVERYBODY from DHS together....I may not be happy with the choices made by the higher ups on who was hired, but so be it. I can tell you that alot is changing within DHS. I take my job seriously and do it very well. Every job has knuckleheads, some people slip through the cracks. I'm not going to pass judgement on an entire agency, by the misdeeds done by a few. Enough said. I'll let my work speak for itself....Everyone be safe and Happy Holidays!!!

Relax gumby. We know there are good guys there. Its just a joke. Chris you forgot that you can't even get reverse unlocked till you've completed all those scenarios while backing up.

I was told driving is a privilege, not a right....And I agree with that. So I know better not to do anything stupid and im sticking with that. Ive seen ppl run red lights, stop signs, doing atlest doule the speed limit, etc.

I love it when ppl speed to beat the light and I meet them at the next one...and then give him the look. Or when ppl "floor it" and stop short, or just stop late at traffic lights. I guess if you like pissing away gas and wearing down your breaks, thats the way to go....ha

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Quoting/responding to CRASH's earlier post:

1 .. THE.. ABSOLUTE MORONS WHO CRUISE THE LEFT LANE @ 55-60 MPH IN A POSTED 65 - and HIT the BRAKES as you approach as if to say "the whole 'slower traffic/right lane thing doesn't apply to ME, because I'm driving slower than you are, and therefore, a better driver.' "

2 .. THE.. OUTRIGHT GENIOUSES THAT JUST DONT SIGNAL FOR A LANE CHANGE - Yeah, and then tap the brakes or drop to some ridiculously lower speed if you hit the horn or blink your headlights to let them know that, HEY, THERE'S SOMEONE ELSE ON THE ROAD HERE, and YOU DAMN NEAR CAUSED AN ACCIDENT!!

3 .. THE.. HEY I SIGNALED IM COMING OVER WITHOUT USING MY MIRRORS AT ALL - just as bad as these morons, are the ones who see you signal a lane-change from behind, and speed up so you can't get into the lane IN FRONT of them...and then proceed to drop their speed and cruise lazily along once you're behind them

4 .. THE.. HEY I DRIVE A BEAMER OR A BENZ AND YOU JUST NEED TO GET OUT OF MY WAY BECAUSE YES I DO OWN THE ROAD - guess these morons are immune to the MOIs us "common" people can be injured from!

5 .. THE BRAINIACS WHO CUT YOU OFF TOO DRIVE SLOWER THAN YOU

6.. AND MY FAVORITE I JUST COULDNT WAKE UP 10 MINUTES EARLIER AND I NEED TO PUT ON MY MAKEUP OR I NEED TO SHAVE - how about "I am on-time, and therefore the WHOLE WORLD should drive at my leisurely pace!"

THEN THERES THE INCONSIDERATE A..HOLES YOUR DRIVBING BEHIND THEMWITH YOUR BLUE LIGHTS ON AND THEY EITHER HAVE TUNNEL VISION AND DONT LOOK IN THE MIRROR... OR JUST LOOK AND DONT GIVE A CRAP THAT SOME OLD LADY IS HAVING A HEART ATTACK AND NEEDS AN AMBULANCE BUT HEY WHEN YOU GET TO THEIR HOUSE ITS OHH WHAT TOOK SO LONG IVE BEEN STUCK ON THE BOWL FOR 25 MINUTES BECAUSE I CANT GET UP BECAUSE I HAVENT GONE TO DIALASIS IN 4 DAYS AND IM 300 LBS OVERWEIGHT OK I FEEL BETTER I VENTED THANX FOR LISTENING WHERE DO I PAY MY COPAY DOC..

I think we hit a sore spot with CHAZ! Calm down man, take it easy and stay off the road for a day or two....LOL

Relax gumby. We know there are good guys there. Its just a joke. Chris you forgot that you can't even get reverse unlocked till you've completed all those scenarios while backing up.

Oooo good one!

I think we hit a sore spot with CHAZ! Calm down man, take it easy and stay off the road for a day or two....LOL

Ya definitely did...LOL...I'm a safe, considerate driver...but I hate the fact that the drivers who drive fast (i.e. 70 mph on the highway, not MANIACALLY fast!!) are the ones who are automatically in the wrong...and those who pull childish stunts just to slow 'em down are blameless, simply because they're driving slowly. When I come up behind someone on I684 going the exact same speed as the person next to them, and they hit their brakes simply because I have the audacity to flash my lights when they won't either move over or pass the car on their right...definitely a sore spot!! So these people slow themselves down, as well as the person who wishes to pass them, along with everyone behind that person...all because they have to be stubborn, and provoke all these "aggresive" drivers.

I have to agree with a lot of what has already been said. I will add that this morning I was doing traffic at an MVA. Have not done that in a while. People trying to catch a look at what's going on are going to cause another accident. I can't believe the stupidity of these people. We have 2 close ones. One talking on the cell at the same time and it looked like one trying to take a picture with a cell.

I have to agree with a lot of what has already been said. I will add that this morning I was doing traffic at an MVA. Have not done that in a while. People trying to catch a look at what's going on are going to cause another accident. I can't believe the stupidity of these people. We have 2 close ones. One talking on the cell at the same time and it looked like one trying to take a picture with a cell.

There are all kinds of "Groups" in this Country. But, I found out many years ago, that the largest one plagued by total stupidity, it the American Motoring Public!!!!! They really personify the term STUPID!!!!