Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DADAY

Worst Fires

89 posts in this topic

The Thornwood "Nanny" fire - my husband was the Chief at the time; he was one of the first on scene - took him years to get over it. Two books have been written about it. I was the EMT at the scene who treated the nanny. Pirro was not the DA at the time. The fire was December 2, 1991 - will never forget the date. The ADA who tried the case was George Bolen. I had always believed she was innocent until the prosecutor asked her "if you knew there was a baby behind the door wouldn't you have done everything possible to get her out?"

I went out on a date with a girl I went to High School with. We went to dinner at the Throggs Neck Clipper. Then we headed over to the Whitestone Cinemas and nothing there was worth watching so we decided to make it a Blockbuster night. On our way there we noticed smoke pushing from the C o c kloft of a row of Taxpayers on E. Tremont Avenue and Lafayette Avenue. We stopped and buffed it. Ended up going to a third. One of my more memorable dates. Shoulda stuck with her for a while.

That wasn't the fire at the hair salon across the street from Genovese/Engeldrum's Service Station, was it? If it was, I remember that one... in fact, the building is still damaged from the fire, too.

Peekskill Main St. strip mall fire 2004 I know not that old

I have two fires that were the worst. First was in 1994, jan 26, i was 18, gung-ho, and taking every training class they had as well as seminars done by guys from FDNY. One night we had a Structure with possible entrapment. I responded on the rescue truck. They were working on getting a line into position when we got on scene and everyone was acting like there was noone inside so I just figured everything was good. I stood by in staging waiting to receive orders when an asst chief came around the front yelling for me and another guy to follow him. When I reached him he said there WAS someone inside and we needed to search. We entered through the garage door and were hit with INTENSE heat. We dropped to our bellies and crawled on. We did a quick search of two rooms and were quickly called out because the fire was coming down the hall right at us.

Reluctantly we retreated. Outside there was confusion again, now saying there was no one inside AGAIN. I relieved the nozzle man and was advancing through the front door and started to go down the hall and thats when I found him, face down in his bedroom door 5 feet from where we ended our search. That has been with me ever since.

Second was when Main Street Worcester ( Otsego County, upstate) burnt down. We were called at 7:30 that night and were there for 30 hours. That was a hairy fire and I remeber it well because we were in a store on the end of the row that was not yet burning doing salvage work. We were removing files, computers and other stuff when the heat suddenly rose and it felt like 200 deg, and the smoke started to poor in. Our Lt told us to get out and we didnt need him to tell us THAT twice. Five min after we got out, the building was fully involved, 10 min after we left it collapsed. Talk about close calls! :o:rolleyes:

I'm not even a firemen yet, but I can sure tell you my first experience when I Knew I wanted to be one. One of the worst, and first fires I have ever scene was the Roslyn Gardens fire (269 Broadway) in Dobbs Ferry back in December of 97' when I was only 8 years old. This happened to be right next door to me...a 5 story Multiple Family Vacant Apartment building. Started when a woman was making Christmas decorations and sprayed pine cones with a flammable substance and put it in the oven. The stove blew up and immediately blew a hole through the roof. This was the first fire I have ever scene. being my grandfather is a retired Fire Investigator, and being that my father is very close with a lot of firemen I was always interested in the fire department, but didn't really think that it was the job for me.... . But that night it hit me that I actually wanted to do that, and till this day I look at that building EVERY day, and I can remember it just like it was yesterday.

I also remember that one my Dad was there he got thrown down the hall way and the inside of his helmet came out.

330 Slyvan Ave (9W) In Englewood Cliffs NJ In 1990 (The night after Flight 50/50 plane crash on LI The fire started in Electrical room and follwed duct work and void's Gutted the whole 3 story building(their is a firehouse mag cover shot of Mutual aid co's working the fire) we were their for about 21 hours BTW it came in as PD trouble alarm

In my opinion, for Westchester County, it has to be the MASSIVE General/Mutiple Alarm Fire in Yonkers on Bronx River Road a few years back, to which not only was New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Greenville, Eastchester, etc.etc., but a Full Battalion from New York City was brought up to help knock down the fire. I can't remember any other that was SO HUGE !!!

CVS(Rosehill Shopping Center) Feb. 2003 Blizzard Thornwood

Hawthorne Moble station

Corner of Sherman&Union 1 falality Late 80's Thornwood

Pleasantville Post office Late 60's

tanker Fire on 9A in Hawthorne

[in my opinion, for Westchester County, it has to be the MASSIVE General/Mutiple Alarm Fire in Yonkers on Bronx River Road a few years back, to which not only was New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Greenville, Eastchester, etc.etc., but a Full Battalion from New York City was brought up to help knock down the fire. I can't remember any other that was SO HUGE !!!]

R3 then you must remember that 14 buildings were involved with people lost on Nodine Hill not to long before that one.We also had as many rigs when 377 N Broadway went up the first time of two times with fatalities in both cases with Lt Kuenher being lost the second time.I was the officer on the first due truck at 85 BronxRiver Road. For the real old timers I believe the Butter and Egg Fire down near alexander street was a good one also but that's before my time

One fire I will never forget it the April 18-19th, 1995 fire on 147-155 Main St. in Ossining. Picture can be seen on the bottom left corner of this link from Washington Hook & Ladder, Co #2 website.

http://www.ladder42.com/pictures.php?p=fire

In my opinion, for Westchester County, it has to be the MASSIVE General/Mutiple Alarm Fire in Yonkers on Bronx River Road a few years back, to which not only was New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Greenville, Eastchester, etc.etc., but a Full Battalion from New York City was brought up to help knock down the fire. I can't remember any other that was SO HUGE !!!

it was nearly a 2nd alarm assignment for FDNY.....even the Command Chief came up

good subjects--being i have been around a long time-- started in fire service 1966-- i can rememebr a few.

Geneal moters fire 1969 propane fire

General motors fire again around 1971 Paint shop.

orchard street Tarrytown jan 1968 lost most of the block and a house on the street above

just a few my memory is fading after all these years!!! just kidding

What about the May 23, 1993 Fire that completly destroyed my 68 unit co-op apartment building at 68 East Hartsdale Avenue in Hartdale?

Edited by Sovereign1

How about the fire on April 25, 1995 at 616 East Lincoln Avenue, Mt. Vernon.

over 90 Fire fighters from Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Pelham, New York City, the Probie Class at the time, etc, etc.

It took them 4 1/2 hours to get the fire under control and after it was put out it completely destroyed my 5 story 72 unit building leaving 247 people homeless.

Sovereign1,

I rememeber that one. I was in 5th grade at the time. During recess just about everyone was standing on the hill watching the flames shoot out of the top floor and roof. I also distinctly remember when FDNY showed up. They got off the Hutch NB and flew around the corner, over the bridge and up to the scene almost like they were filming a movie.

Though i think it was vaguely mentioned before, i was wondering if someone could tell me about the propane truck explosion a while back over I-287...i know the bridge hasnt been fixed since this incident occured. As for fires, the major structure fire in 1996 that burned through Mt. Kisco Books, Baskin-Robins and damaged other shops on So. Moger Ave.

Having the pleasure of growing up in brooklyn during the 70's, I remember two major fires in my area. First being the Colonial Masion (this was a humungous catering hall it had about 3 levels all cathrdel type cielings) located on Bath ave across from the 62nd pct. This place burned for almost 2 days stright. I went to school behind the place. They had to evacute the school due to smoke. I remeber having to crawl down the stair case with two firefighters leading use out. That was how bad the smoke was. WHen my friends and I went back to watch a few hours later I remember seeing the old super pumper from tillery st there, and watching it actually tear the brick siding of the upper wall down.

The second major fire i saw was a few weeks later. It was on the corner of Bay 26th st and bath ave. There was a big apartment bldg. on the corner. 4 stories and about 12 familes living on each floor. it was an L shaped building. The part that went first was the side street side not sure where it staretd but almost that whole side went up. The the following weak the side on the avenue went up. Out of both fires there where 4 deaths all were dogs.

These two fires were determined to be arson. The amazing thing was the both happend early afternoon on a busy avenue in brooklyn. The arsonist was caught red handed about two weeks later trying to set fire to a drug store a few blocks away from the above fires.

Thier is alot more to these two stories but will keep it short for reading sake

Edited by calhobs

Here are a few I came up with - Sorry I don’t have all of the dates:

Greenville:

Seely Place School fire

Newmark & Lewis fire

Beefsteak Charlie's fire 10/15/92

Hartsdale:

68 E. Hartsdale Ave. 5/23/93

Yonkers:

Wakefield Towers fire (Bronx River Rd.) 3/16/03

Nodine Hill Fire 3/14/03

Nepperhan Ave. Carpet Shops fire

Pelham Manor:

Boston Post Rd. apartment fire (next to Pelham County Club)

White Plains:

I-287 Tanker Crash 7/27/94

Synagogue Fire 9/9/03

Does anybody remember the Green's fire on 4th Avenue in Mt. Vernon ? I think that it was a saturday night during July of 1960 or 61. Hundreds of firefighters from Mt. Vernon, all of southern Westchester and FDNY.

I remember my uncles and cousins telling me that the all service masks being used at the time was not able to filter out the toxic plastics in the smoke, SCBA's were new and there were only a few around.

A half dozen ladder pipes on both the 4th and 5th Avenue sides of the building finally put the fire out over 12 hours later.

How about the Gullivers fire (Port Chester / Greenwich line), June 30, 1974 with 24 dead and the Stouffer's Inn (Purchase) fire in December of 1980 with 26 dead? I was at both of these jobs and even though they might not have been the biggest jobs in the county they certainly were the most fatal!!! Anyone who was at these jobs could tell you how bad they were.

At Gulliver's I was a brand new member of Post 700 and that was my first working fire (Hell of a way to start!!). At Stouffers I was working for Abbey Richmond at Mobile #3 at United Hospital and we were the first medic unit at the scene. That was a real mess!

In Stamford the biggest job in recent years was the Fodi Furniture fire in 1979 where several buildings in the 100 block of Main Street were involved. The call came in as a dumpster fire in the rear and when Squad Co. #1 arrived the entire rear of the building was already involved. Was a general alarm fire (all city members recalled) and all Big Five companies responded on mutual aid.

Be safe!!!

SFRD49

wow someone talking about mt. kiscos urban renewal to downtown s. moger ave. the acclaimed mt.kisco book store fire started in baskin robins ice cream store and went up and out. we lost three stores that night and cutty from bedfordhills made the front cover of firehouse magazine. an almost tragic fire was the furniture store. al bueti a chief now was venting the second floor windows from a ground ladder, the fire was burning violently for about 45 min before the order was given. he popped one window and that gave the fire on the second floor oxygen and the first floor lit up and started blowing out the front windows were al was on the ladder. he stayed up there for a second and then got tangled or missed his footing and fell to the ground and all caught on tape by lauri clark. he was taken to the hospital was treated and released and came back to the scene. a real die hard!

one of the greatest financial fires of all times was the old maria carey house that nelson peltz baught on 162 sarles st.. the home was under renovations and was said to have cost chubb insurance 30 million dollars. that was around 1998 or 1999.

one of my first fires on the knob back in 1989 was the elite cleaner fire. it was an arson job set with diesel fuel and gasoline in 2 or 3 -55 gallon drums. the place was attempted to have been set 1 or 2 times previous buy another cleaners owner in town. we had streched a 2 1/2 through the back door and knocked the fire down. i remember francis mannion dragging me through the building by my collar. i walked out the front door when i was out of air and saw john marshall looking around with other firefighters seeing what burned. i went to our truck to get a new bottle and then i heard the front fasod callapse. then we heard someone say theirs someone under it. the fire was burning intensely out the front of the building for a while before we had water supply established. the fire was in the front fassod and weakend it. it also wasn't tied into the beams of the structure just there for looks. i remember thinking at the time where was my brother? i didn't see him and i got worried. we all ran over and tried to help. ex chief john dunn of k.f.d. was their as a bedford police officer and was a great help. he recomended useing the hurst tool as a lifting tool. which we did take the speaders and lift some of the ruble. luckily john marshall fell next to a ramp on the sidewalk, he didn't get his legs fully crushed. the pavement was extemely hot from the fire, he had burns and broken bones and a long road to a recovery. luckily hes still with us today as batalion 16. lesson learned , expect the un-expected. train like your life depends on it! pay attention to the stories you hear! turns out my brother wasn't even at the fire that night but it made me worry, what if it was him under their? how would i react to an emediate family member getting hurt or killed? something some of us have to worry about from time to time. stay safe to all and remember to be fully dressed during a call.

I just thought of another.

New Rochelle High School in the late 60's.

NEW ROCELLE HIGH SCHOOL 1968 AND SOUND VIEW CHEVY ON POST ROAD IN 71 . HAVE BOTH ON VIDEO! LOTS OF GREAT RIG SHOTS LOTS OF FIRE.

Does anyone remember the Chatsworth Gardens fire in the late 1960's. It was on Chatsworth Ave. Larchmont (Town of Mamaroneck). The fire was in the upper floors of a 7 to 8 story apartment building. Their was about a half dozen ladder trucks operating.

Heres another one, Handlemans fire North White Plains

Heres another one, Handlemans fire North White Plains

does anyone remeber the triangle shopping center in yorktown in the early seventies or when i was with yvac a house fire on underhill ave an old barn that was converted where they found a bunch of marijuana in the house

How about the fire on April 25, 1995 at 616 East Lincoln Avenue, Mt. Vernon.

over 90 Fire fighters from Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Pelham, New York City, the Probie Class at the time, etc, etc.

It took them 4 1/2 hours to get the fire under control and after it was put out it completely destroyed my 5 story 72 unit building leaving 247 people homeless.

That's not the first time for that building. It had major fires twice before. Don't remember the years but I was at both. (senior moment?)

Talking about Mt. Vernon fires, what about 4th Ave and 1st St. in 1980 or Genungs back in the late 60's. The apartment house at Columbus and Lorraine is another one that comes to mind. Also the Pelham Gables fire.

Edited by ajsbear

January 1,1996, Dutchess Cty, Dover Plains, Poly-Tech recycling facility. 175' x 400' x 3 stories, 2/3 of the building was crumb rubber & tire chips from recycling used tires, week long event through the "Blizzard" 0f 96 and sub-freezing temps, no hydrants, 16,000ft 5" ldh on the ground the first day, 6 or 7 aerial devices, too many to count engines and tankers, total of 41 departments mutual aid for the week, It was the largest mutaul aid fire in the history of Dutchess County. I know there are some/most Putnam County departments that will remember this one!!

Peekskill Silver Lake Dairy. July 4th, 1960(?). After the fire was controlled, Peekskill FD and several other depts. including Continental Village proceeded to march in the Peekskill July 4th parade in full turnout gear.

As they passed the reviewing stand(an old Myer Brothers movers trailer) the band struck up and the crowd exploded with cheers.