Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

Organ Donation Vehicles

41 posts in this topic

Funny - I looked at the pictures, and then some of the comments, and my first thought was not on the lights, but rather, "Why the heck do they need a truck the size of an Excusion to deliver an organ, or even a few organs? You could deliver a few whole bodies in that thing... "

Now I realize that an organ is delivered in a cooler, adding a little bulk, (as opposed to, say, a zip-lock baggie), but you can put a whole lotta coolers in a truck that big...

And, then there's the fuel costs, and the price of the truck itself.... Okay, now I'm getting carried away, sorry.

They transport an entire team that come to assist with the harvesting, TO the harvest site, pick up the organs, and then transport the organs AND team to the delivery site for the transplant.

Each seat in each vehicle was filled by the harvest team, and the "trunk" space held the organs.

Good question though wcr20! Sorry I did not make that clear earlier!!

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Ah, well then...

To quote Emily Litella...

"Never mind."

I don't think that having PD transporting organs is a good idea at all. First, I'm sure there is some sort of training and knowledge involved. Second. It's not their job I couldn't see how you could justify all of the over time. I'm sure that some of the pilots on here wouldn't mind doing some extra flying though lol

Training required? To transport a cooler? Come on, there's a whole bunch of football fans who do much the same thing every Sunday!

It wouldn't necessarily have to be overtime for the PD to do it. Every time a took a cooler from the airport to the medical center I was already working - it took 20 minutes and didn't incur any OT. But I would appreciate the extra flight time!!!!

Khas, you bring up an excellent point about the training angle. Same can be said for the ASPCA people too.

484, are you sure they all transport the teams? Every time I've seen on of these trucks around there's been nothing more than the driver - usually waiting for a cooler.

wcr20, Emily Litella or Rosanne Rosanadana???

If the Salvation Army Canteen can run with Red Lights and a Siren

then I think a vehicle transporting Lifesaving Organs can and should do the same.

484, are you sure they all transport the teams? Every time I've seen on of these trucks around there's been nothing more than the driver - usually waiting for a cooler.

I cannot speak for every singly Organ Transport agency out there, but all 3 vehicles I saw were fully loaded.

A team of about 5-6 walked out with each set of organs as they came through the ER.

I don't think that having PD transporting organs is a good idea at all. First, I'm sure there is some sort of training and knowledge involved. Second. It's not their job I couldn't see how you could justify all of the over time. I'm sure that some of the pilots on here wouldn't mind doing some extra flying though lol

Chris beat me to it, training? You'd be surprised whats "transported" in a Police Car! We've always given nurses at Phelps the courtesy of a ride from home to work during a storm, now nursing home nurses want it, people want milk, etc! Id rather run hearts all day then some of the other "stuff".

I think these trucks fall in to a somewhat shadow category along with Canteen Trucks, that of vehicles that have auxiliary functions within the broader category of emergency services that have and use lights and sirens. The various states do not recognize them, but for the most part we in teh emergency services do, so as a result they do not get into trouble. I know people who used to do blood runs, and they had no lights, no sirens, no company cars, just them and their POV's going with the flow of traffic, sometimes a few towns away to a different hospital. Sure EVOC is an issue, but it is also a relatively new issue in terms of formal training. It seems like this is a relatively new agency, and they will probably grow with the times.

Well this I do know. In New Jersy I worked for a Ambulance company that was contracted out of a major hosp. They would dispatch a ambulance to the hospital or airport to pick up the crew and transport to the destination. This was going both directions. Made for some long tours. A few of the city hospitals that have harvest teams have hired EMTs to drive. Dont know of any out lined laws though.

Last year I saw that Expedition (with the LED) hauling up Rt. 9. First I even heard of a ground organ transplant vehicle with red lights.

One of these vehicles (sometimes two) are stationed out of NYP Columbia Medical Center on W168th. It is usually parked in the ambulance spots under the Milstein hospital building or on Fort Washington Ave outside Milstein. I don't know the arrangement with the hospital, but it is usually the astrovan and almost always parked there. Red lights on it as well.

I think these trucks fall in to a somewhat shadow category along with Canteen Trucks, that of vehicles that have auxiliary functions within the broader category of emergency services that have and use lights and sirens. The various states do not recognize them, but for the most part we in teh emergency services do, so as a result they do not get into trouble. I know people who used to do blood runs, and they had no lights, no sirens, no company cars, just them and their POV's going with the flow of traffic, sometimes a few towns away to a different hospital. Sure EVOC is an issue, but it is also a relatively new issue in terms of formal training. It seems like this is a relatively new agency, and they will probably grow with the times.

Makes me wonder, though if these "shadow category" trucks are operating legally.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I am all for saving lives. But, what happens when one of these vehicles, operating lights and siren, with an inexperienced or unqualified driver, is in an accident? I think that the liability issue is HUGE here. Am I mistaken?