Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

It's Cold Outside! How Do You Handle?

17 posts in this topic

With it being extremly cold outside, how do you cope during firefighting activities?

One thing that I do, that was taught to me by a brother on my group at work, Carl D'ariano, was to pack a "winter bag". Containing snacks, dry gloves, dry socks, hand warming packs, dry hood, chap stick, dry towel, and some other assorted items.

In weather like this, I also wear thermal bottoms, a knit cap. In my department, we also put a salt/sand mixture on the rigs for traction.

I would like to see Westchester County aqquire a full size Bee-Line bus for rehab purposes, warming in the winter, and cooling in the summer. I feel that a full-size, 40 foot bus would be the perfect place for firefighters to warm up and rehab.

Also, does any department add extra manpower due to the ice and cold shortening the firefighters abilties?

I do the same as you and have a separate bag with gloves, hood, hat, chap stick, a small tube of vaseline (it helps when you put it on your cheeks/face to stop wind burn) and also a roll of small plastic garbage bags. They help when your boots get wet to put over your dry socks to keep your feet dry.

I also wear polypropelyne, mid weight thermals. Had them in the military...they work great to keep your warm and fairly dry. In my personal opinion they work better then even under armor cold gear but I have a couple mock turtelnecks I wear also.

Several years ago I went to a pin job as a chief on a night like last night, froze my A** off. While waiting around for things to get going I found an area of relative warmth near the exhaust pipe of the Heavy Rescue. I felt lucky to find this small comfort until I felt my leg becoming uncomfortably warm. I looked down and found the heat of the exhaust had burned a hole in my polyester pants. Two lessons learned......don't wear polyester and always wear your turnouts!

It would be nice to have a bus just for rehab, usually OEM can reach out to local bus companies who they have arrangements with to get a bus to an incident. You just have to remember to call early as it might take time in the middle of the night.

I would like to see Westchester County aqquire a full size Bee-Line bus for rehab purposes, warming in the winter, and cooling in the summer. I feel that a full-size, 40 foot bus would be the perfect place for firefighters to warm up and rehab.

Westchester County has a FLEET of buses and all it takes is a phone call to get one assigned to an incident for rehab. Just 'cause it doesn't have red/white lights or say "fire" on it doesn't mean its not a resource for us.

Good point Chris we have used them where I am several times in the winter. Problem is when you get on you might not want to get off.

I use the exhaust often to dry my gloves when on scene. Also what works for warmth and can be used inside a car during a pin job are the Circle D spotlights off apparatus. They give off some decent heat, just ensure there are no ignition hazards and that it doesn't come into contact with the patient or vehicle.

Westchester County has a FLEET of buses and all it takes is a phone call to get one assigned to an incident for rehab. Just 'cause it doesn't have red/white lights or say "fire" on it doesn't mean its not a resource for us.

I'm aware of Bee-Line being available to Westchester County, however I remember being a dispatcher at 60 Control and a bus being requested at 3AM. I was told when I called that there were no drivers available for the buses. This is back in 1999, so things might have changed. I remember sending Bee-Line succesfully to other incidents though.

However, I still feel a dedicated rehab bus would be beneficial. You could configure it to the specific need, including stocking the bus with appropriate equipment and a stronger heating and cooling system and possibly bathroom facilities. Many other cities do this, and I feel it would be beneficial in multiple situations. Aqquiring a former Bee-Line bus wouldn't cost the county much, and a lot of the conversion could be done using in-house talent. The County has all sorts of special-needs apparatus, and I feel this one would see the most use.

I remember a tractor trailer rollover years ago in Port Chester on 287E to I 95N. It was the old patrol 4 (Rescue 40) that I think was a 1969 Oren (eng58 can correct me if I am wrong). It had a huge exhaust that could be heard for blocks and we stood next to it to keep our feet from freezing. It might not be the most up to date tool to use , but it sure works!

I hit reset.

Just kidding (before the whole "typical volunteer" discussion ensues.) I like to keep the heat going in the cab of the rig, and I have 2 pairs of gloves so I can rotate them and try to keep the hands warm.

On a side topic - how do you avoid the excessive dry skin associated with this time of the year? My hands look like hell and I can't seem to come up with a good solution.

I hit reset.

Just kidding (before the whole "typical volunteer" discussion ensues.) I like to keep the heat going in the cab of the rig, and I have 2 pairs of gloves so I can rotate them and try to keep the hands warm.

On a side topic - how do you avoid the excessive dry skin associated with this time of the year? My hands look like hell and I can't seem to come up with a good solution.

Curel Ultra-Healing lotion... was recommended it when I got my tattoo... good stuff.

I hit reset.

Any lotion with aloe works for me.

Extra staffing...there's an idea. Right now, we are lucky to be at full staffing. I HATE politics.

As for warmth...I keep the bag like a lot of the other guys. I sometime will take my glove off and open it over the exhaust. Warms the glove right up!!

Spare hood in my turnouts. Extra T shirts.

I am a little leary about under armour and polypro. The idea of being shrink wrapped makes me a little nervous. I guess if it gets that hot, its game over anyway...Anyone else have thoughts about poly long underwear? I went and bought silk.

Best hand remedy I have found is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing.

Stay warm out there.

The bags are great ideas, but where do you keep them, on the racks. I hate stuffing to many extra things into my gear tends to get to bulky

Any regular hand cream will help...but you can't just use it when your hands are so bad they're bleeding. If you use the stuff every couple days or as soon as your hands start to feel dry it seems to help a lot. Sometimes I would come back from a call and find my skin had cracked and was bleeding, so I just use the stuff whenever I can remember and it keeps that from happening.

Any regular hand cream will help...but you can't just use it when your hands are so bad they're bleeding. If you use the stuff every couple days or as soon as your hands start to feel dry it seems to help a lot. Sometimes I would come back from a call and find my skin had cracked and was bleeding, so I just use the stuff whenever I can remember and it keeps that from happening.

One of the better ones is Moisture Therapy from Avon. Works very well for me.

The bags are great ideas, but where do you keep them, on the racks. I hate stuffing to many extra things into my gear tends to get to bulky

I keep a stuff sack full of warm things with my gear. I clip it into a carabiner and then clip that into the pull straps of my turnout pants. Gives me a handle, and my mask bag and stuff sack don't do anywhere. Would work if I was a vollie, too and my gear was in my car. Depending if I am tailboarding or driving, I just toss it in an out of the way place on the pump. Works great.

A Navy pecker chec...Corpsman used vaseline and nitrile gloves during cold weather ops for us. Always worked well. The nitrile is better then latex, it doesn't break down and won't overly expose you either. Smear the vaseline on your hands liberally and sleep with the gloves on. During the day any good hand lotion helps.

I know you have plenty of vaseline around...so just find the gloves.

All kidding aside I feel your pain...all the hand washing from work kills me and I get terrible chapped lips if I don't constantly use chap stick or blistex.

A Navy pecker chec...Corpsman used vaseline and nitrile gloves during cold weather ops for us. Always worked well. The nitrile is better then latex, it doesn't break down and won't overly expose you either. Smear the vaseline on your hands liberally and sleep with the gloves on. During the day any good hand lotion helps.

I know you have plenty of vaseline around...so just find the gloves.

All kidding aside I feel your pain...all the hand washing from work kills me and I get terrible chapped lips if I don't constantly use chap stick or blistex.

Is that what Vaseline is truly for? I learn something new everyday...