Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONEEYEDMIC

Cops crack down on ice flying off cars

8 posts in this topic

Cops crack down on ice flying off cars

By SHAWN COHEN, CHRISTINA JENG AND TERENCE CORCORAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 19, 2007)

Sgt. Michael Hagan of the Westchester County police was on Interstate 84 yesterday when a piece of ice smashed into his windshield, splattering glass into his cruiser.

His rear-view mirror wound up in his lap.

The stunned officer activated his lights and pulled over the source of the ice - a box truck covered with remnants of the weekend storm.

"I took a minute to clear the glass out of my eye before approaching the truck," Hagan said. "The driver asked me why he was stopped. He had no idea."

Hagan, president of his department's police union, was taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla while state police handled his call. Doctors gave him special drops for his eye, he said, before he was released.

FULL STORY: http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS02/712190349

Back in 1994, I was driving out to PA to see a now EX of mine and while on RT 80, I huge chunk of ICE flew off an 18 wheeler and nearly came through my Sun Roof that was open. It smashed my windshield. I pulledl the truck over and got is info. The INS CO told me that it was an ACT of GOD and there was nothing I could do. Thankfully, I found a place in PA that could fix my windshield in like an hour. That was unheard of back then but I got lucky I guess. Unsecure Load huh, I am going to remember that.

I know State Police is issuing under V&T section 1219 for this type of violation. I have seen alot of shining stars clear just enough snow or ice from their windshield to make it onto the roadway with the anticipation that the rest will blow off. Instead of issuing paper upon making a stop I usually direct them to remove all snow and ice, which is sometimes quite interesting to witness.

§ 1219. Putting glass or other injurious substances on highway

prohibited. (a) No person shall throw or deposit upon any highway any

glass bottle, glass, nails, tacks, wire, cans, snow or any other

substance likely to injure any person, animal, or vehicle upon such

highway.

I talked to a guy Monday who had the same thing happen--chunk of ice came off the trailer of an 18-wheeler and ended up sunk six inches into his windshield. Thank goodness for laminated windshields or he'd no longer be with us.

Gives a new meaning to those signs that read "Beware of Falling Ice"

First, best wishes to Sgt. Hagan for a speedy recovery, and I'm glad it wasn't more serious.

Second, on my way to and from Hartford yesterday, I had to dodge numerous trucks and cars with ice flying off of them. From the ice that was on my car, it was tough to get it off, but I did it. I mean huge chunks of ice that could easily have killed someone. What bothers me the most is people who are driving sedans, and are younger, and can't be bother to do anything but clear a little hole in the windshield. Part of driving is maintaining your vehicle. The worst part is, if the ice coming off a vehicle does strilke someone, you probaly won't be able to catch who it was.

I don't know of a safe and practical solution for the tractor trailers and box trucks, other then installing some sort of mechanic deicing system at truck stops.

Anyways, rant over. I was going to write about this topic anyways, but am glad to see cops craking down. I just hope there's more of a PR campaign in the future as well as some sort of system or standard devised for tractor trailers and box trucks.

One of the members of my FD told me that in New Jersey, you are subject to a stiff fine $1500.00 sticks in my memory bank) for operating a vehicle without removing the snow and ice from the vehicle. Can

any of our New Jersey Members verify this?? I think it's a good idea. If it is true New York should do the same. And another good ube for the V&T section previously mentioned should be more vigorously enforced is for those rocket scientists who cover the road in front of their driveways with all the snow the plows had removed.

I think in NY it should be 1,500.00 if not more. After people start getting tickets they'll learn to clean off the vehicles. As for thr trucks and larger vehicles not sure what can be done but some smart people out there could find a wayto do the job.

It's definitely time to crack down on these inconsiderate motorists. The past two days have been like driving through an obstacle course on the highways. A couple of close calls with flying ice but I was able to avoid them.

I have always despised the non-snow cleaner offers...First of all, half forget the back window altogether...I am sure they don't drive with their mirrors regularly so it must inhibit their driving even more.

On a side note, I made my sister cry about this...she goes all the way to Stanford from Wappingers Falls...didn't clean her car! When she got home I asked if she could live with being responsible for killing someone cause ice flew off her car into another's. She is pregnant, guess I worded it a little harsh, but I wanted to make a point! She travels 84 to either the TSP or 684 and then 95...you know everyone goes about 70-80 especially during the am and pm rush hours!

I would like to see more action taken by each department, such as safety checkpoints with a statewide initiative on "free" ice scrapers given out to remind people and make it happen right then and there!