Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Volunteer firefighters' property taxes cut in Tarrytown

12 posts in this topic

Volunteer firefighters' property taxes cut in Tarrytown

By GERALD MCKINSTRY

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 31, 2007)

TARRYTOWN - The village's volunteer firefighters can expect a bigger break on their property-tax bills, a move leaders hope will keep emergency responders living locally.

Under the new village law, which goes into effect in 2009, volunteer firefighters will get a 10 percent reduction in their property assessments, effectively reducing their village taxes by a few hundred dollars. It replaces a $500 assessment reduction for which they are currently eligible.

FULL STORY: http://lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...352/1018/NEWS02

Does the tax reduction also lower home prices in Tarrytown?

In my opinion, for the average volunteer firefighter, 10% is nothing. The housing prices in Greenburgh (of which Tarrytown is a village of) are insane, and so are the taxes. 10% is not going to do much, and I don't think in any way encourage people to remain local. Even if I volunteered and got 10% off my tax bill (I'm a resident of Greenburgh), I wouldn't stay. The taxes and home prices are still too high, and the (Greenburgh Central 7) schools suck.

Instead, the 10% off money should instead be applied to building affordable housing for the town, or hiring a supplemental career staff. These tax breaks and increasing incentives to encourage people to volunteer...at what point is the line drawn between volunteering and have to basically pay people to volunteer with incentives? And, if you get people to join just because they can save 10% on their tax bill, what kind of motives do the people have for joining?

I thought that the word "volunteer" meant that you did something for no compensation. Now there are tax breaks, free parties, free dinners, pensions, worker's comp benefits.......what's next? Paid vacation? Oh, yea......That's called a convention at Lake George. I guess the only thing missing is a paycheck.

I thought that the word "volunteer" meant that you did something for no compensation. Now there are tax breaks, free parties, free dinners, pensions, worker's comp benefits.......what's next? Paid vacation? Oh, yea......That's called a convention at Lake George. I guess the only thing missing is a paycheck.

I agree with all you stated but workmans comp. What is wrong with workmans comp if one of us suffers a LODI ?

That's the way the IRS looks at it. It's in your best interest to check with a really knowledgeable accountant because some of these "perks" can and will be considered income by the IRS and if you don't report it you can get slammed down the road.

Mmmm, aren't our armed forces volunteer? According to the President they are. See this White house Proclamation. Mind you, I disagree about

no comparable military in the world operated on a fully volunteer basis
The UK stopped the draft in 1960. I guess it depends on what the meaning of comparable is :P

Does the tax reduction also lower home prices in Tarrytown?

In my opinion, for the average volunteer firefighter, 10% is nothing. The housing prices in Greenburgh (of which Tarrytown is a village of) are insane, and so are the taxes. 10% is not going to do much, and I don't think in any way encourage people to remain local. Even if I volunteered and got 10% off my tax bill (I'm a resident of Greenburgh), I wouldn't stay. The taxes and home prices are still too high, and the (Greenburgh Central 7) schools suck.

Instead, the 10% off money should instead be applied to building affordable housing for the town, or hiring a supplemental career staff. These tax breaks and increasing incentives to encourage people to volunteer...at what point is the line drawn between volunteering and have to basically pay people to volunteer with incentives? And, if you get people to join just because they can save 10% on their tax bill, what kind of motives do the people have for joining?

The interesting thing is that with the new $200 NYS Tax Credit for volunteer fire fighters / EMTs - do you take the tax credit, or the tax property reduction (if you can)?

Either way - it still aint much.

It's important to try to help volunteer firefighters/ems personal to live within their district. By supporting them with a tax break it at least shows the village is trying. Imagine if the Villages like Tarrytown, Irvington, etc had a paid firedepartment. The taxes for the residents living in the villages would be through the roof. In the volunteer world of firefighter/ems, it's not like it used to be. I doudt a person making over $150,000.00 a year is going to wake up at 2:00am for a automatic alarm or a ems call for a 85 year old man with stomach cramps. Volunteers are important< and I feel what Tarrytown is doing is great, I wish there was more Villages that support all services like Tarrytown. More should be done.

+1 for louis, well said.

Check the average income for a volunteer in NYS. Working a 2nd job would tend to eliminate the opportunity to volunteer. You need time and resources to actually respond as a volunteer. You need the time to train and drill. How about the wear and tear on your vehicle? The rising cost of gas?

Mmmm, aren't our armed forces volunteer? According to the President they are. See this White house Proclamation. Mind you, I disagree about

They love to use that term "volunteer" for the military but its apples and oranges. It should be more like free will employement. The military's "volunteer" concept and the fire service's are 2 way different spectrums.

The military is a job, you get paid, you go through a hiring process. They don't like you..you have something not right, they don't hire you...you go through a stringent physical...you don't operate right or have damage parts...they don't hire you. You go through a basic training program...ranging from gym class to 3 months of physical, psychological and educational stresses. You don't make the grade...your fired and discharged. Anyone want to find me one of the above requirements that pertains to being "volunteer" and particularly the fire service?

They love to use that term "volunteer" for the military but its apples and oranges. It should be more like free will employement. The military's "volunteer" concept and the fire service's are 2 way different spectrums.

The military is a job, you get paid, you go through a hiring process. They don't like you..you have something not right, they don't hire you...you go through a stringent physical...you don't operate right or have damage parts...they don't hire you. You go through a basic training program...ranging from gym class to 3 months of physical, psychological and educational stresses. You don't make the grade...your fired and discharged. Anyone want to find me one of the above requirements that pertains to being "volunteer" and particularly the fire service?

I admit, it's a bit tongue in cheek comparing the two. Although I would certainly say some fire departments have a pretty stringent physical and sometimes even training requirements.

However, I make the point that I volunteer as I choose to serve to help others. I don't volunteer because I don't want to get paid. In fact I'd rather be paid on call. My brother in England is retained, he gets paid for calls (I think it's about $20) and gets paid for training.

Looking at dictionary.com, they have the definition below. The first definition seems a bit circular, but is above not getting paid. Personally, I like 9 & 11 best.

vol·un·teer /ˌvɒlənˈtɪər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vol-uhn-teer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.

2. a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

3. Military. a person who enters the service voluntarily rather than through conscription or draft, esp. for special or temporary service rather than as a member of the regular or permanent army.

4. Law.

a. a person whose actions are not founded on any legal obligation so to act.

b. a person who intrudes into a matter that does not concern him or her, as a person who pays the debt of another where he or she is neither legally nor morally bound to do so and has no interest to protect in making the payment.

5. Agriculture. a volunteer plant.

6. (initial capital letter) a native or inhabitant of Tennessee (used as a nickname).

–adjective

7. of, pertaining to, or being a volunteer or volunteers: a volunteer fireman.

8. Agriculture. growing without being seeded, planted, or cultivated by a person; springing up spontaneously.

–verb (used without object)

9. to offer oneself for some service or undertaking.

10. to enter service or enlist as a volunteer.

–verb (used with object)

11. to offer (oneself or one's services) for some undertaking or purpose.

12. to give, bestow, or perform voluntarily: to volunteer a song.

13. to say, tell, or communicate voluntarily: to volunteer an explanation.

[Origin: 1590–1600; < F volontaire < L voluntārius voluntary, with -eer for F -aire]