Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest partyrock

Murdered Firefighter: Why does this not get more attention?

12 posts in this topic

Vigil tonight for Pleasantville firefighter slain during blizzard of 1996

By ROB RYSER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: January 7, 2008)

MOUNT PLEASANT - Pleasantville firefighters have planned their annual vigil tonight to remember the volunteer who was slain in Graham Hills Park 12 years ago.

Thomas Dorr Sr., 50, was slain during a blizzard on Jan. 8, 1996, as he was walking to the firehouse to be on standby duty.

The slaying of the 6-foot-7-inch man remembered for his gentleness has not been solved.

A spokesman for the Westchester County police department said today that there was nothing new in the case.

"This is our way of keeping him in our hearts and to keep this unsolved murder in the news," John Brooks, Pleasantville fire commissioner, said in a statement.

The vigil is planned for 7 p.m. at Graham Hills Park, Route 117, Mount Pleasant, across from Pace University.

FULL STORY:http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...D=2008801070384

I understand that there has been a lot of tragedy in these first days of 2008, but why didn't this at least get posted on this site. I understand the media isn't so enthused as its a 12 year old story, but we need to do better. Remembering our fallen brothers is the least we can do. I applaud Pleasantville's annual vigil and its important for everyone step up and support them.

We must always remember the Fallen, whether they died yesterday, last week, last year or years ago. It assures that their passing was not in vain.

I am shocked his murder was not solved. I did not hear about this tragedy when it happened and I dont know what happened to our brother, was it a hit-and-run in the snow? Im sorry to ask that, but I wish to remember him, and hopefully push for his rememberance. I wish to send all of the members of the Pleasantville Fire Dept my prayers and condolences and hopes that this senseless tragedy can eventually be solved. Peace Brothers.

Rest in Peace Tom,.

I was unable to attend the vigil this year :( .

Tom was murdered during the Blizzard of 1996. He left his house Sunday night to head to the firehouse for the storm standby. Apparently he stopped to feed a flock of wild turkeys that lived near his house, that he often left food for. Someone attacked him and cut his throat open. He was not discovered missing until Monday morning when his wife called the firehouse to talk to him. I was working for PLeasantville Schools at the time, and I will never forget hearing the pagers go off to have him call in, and in an attempt to find him as crews searched the ways he would walk to th HQ. That and the punch to the stomach (thats what it felt like) when my boss came and told me and one other employee who also volunteered that they had found Tom dead in the woods. At the time the two suspects were his wife, and step-son, but Westchester County PD never found the murder weapon to my knowledge, and ran out of evidence/leads. The case has not moved in years. Some of us got the feeling that the Westchester DA (Jeanine Pirro) at the time wasn'y really interested in pursuing the case.

Edited by grumpyff

Man what a sensless tragedy that is. You ahve to wonder why thereisn't more attention given to that . My thoughts and prayers to his family and may the killer be caught some day soon, so his soul can rest in peace

I knew Tom when I was a member of PFD. He was a true gentlemen and just simply a nice guy. He is still missed. The news said today there may be some DNA which could have a twist in the case. Lets hope those involved are caught and dealt with.

Thanks grumpyff for the info, sorry I had to ask for it, it must have been rough for you guys. My prayers to everyone and I hope they catch the criminal...SOON.

To Everyone in Pleasantville,

Sorry Kurt and I couldn't make it down for Tom's memorial, Please know that he is always in our prayers and we are hoping that this case will be solved someday and someday soon.

I'm sure it was a beautiful vigil as it always is.

Take care and see ya soon.

Love

Chris and Kurt

Tom Dorr

Rest in Peace

We will keep fighting for justice to be served.

I'll take part of the blame on that. I completely neglected posting anything about the memorial on here ahead of time, even though I had more than enough opportunities to. Happily, I was able to make it. One of the benefits of Sept 11th has been the infusion of attention, money, and practical application into DNA technologies. Its amazing what they can do no with DNA extrication and fragment mapping. This is the first time in a while that some good news has come Tom's way. The continued pressure of a few of our members and the dedication of Westchester County PD has been impressive to say the least.

Rest in Peace Tom,.

I was unable to attend the vigil this year :( .

Tom was murdered during the Blizzard of 1996. He left his house Sunday night to head to the firehouse for the storm standby. Apparently he stopped to feed a flock of wild turkeys that lived near his house, that he often left food for. Someone attacked him and cut his throat open. He was not discovered missing until Monday morning when his wife called the firehouse to talk to him. I was working for PLeasantville Schools at the time, and I will never forget hearing the pagers go off to have him call in, and in an attempt to find him as crews searched the ways he would walk to th HQ. That and the punch to the stomach (thats what it felt like) when my boss came and told me and one other employee who also volunteered that they had found Tom dead in the woods. At the time the two suspects were his wife, and step-son, but Westchester County PD never found the murder weapon to my knowledge, and ran out of evidence/leads. The case has not moved in years. Some of us got the feeling that the Westchester DA (Jeanine Pirro) at the time wasn'y really interested in pursuing the case.

As much as I disagreed with Jeanine Pirro's approach to running the DA's office we can't really blame her or her office for "not being interested". The DA's Office prosecutes those arrested for a crime. Since nobody was arrested, who exactly was she supposed to prosecute?

The Pleasantville PD and County PD are probably still investigating but its unfortuately a cold case.

RIP, Tom. Condolences to the family and extended family.

VelcroMedic,

My problem with Pirro was how quickly she gave up on the case. I know all about not being able to prosecute without an arrest, but her office did nothing to help. She did not even have the courtesy to give us lip service that something was being done to attempt to solve the case. I'm not talking years, but rather weeks/months that she gave up.

To add to grumpy she wouldn't even entertain our requests for updates on the investigation. People involved with the investigation made it clear to members that it wasn't a priority of the DA and wasn't getting the attention they thought it deserved. When the current DA, Janet DiFiore was elected she made a commitment to review the case and bring to bear any new technologies or information. Luckily this case was never relegated to the shelf to become a cold case. The detectives involved have been very dedicated to Tom.