Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

EMTBravo.com-Emergency Donations Needed

59 posts in this topic

Seth,

Do not be embarrassed to have to ask for money to keep this site up and running. You have tirelessly and most honorably kept this site up running, by your self, upholding a dream that you once and still have. You could have never known that this site would receive the expansive growth that it has received around our community, even going international, and becoming a source of information for local news reports.

With expanded growth and unforeseen costs, it is time that the site "go paid," pun intended. I am a member of other forums online that have nothing to do with the emergency services, and they charge to be a member there, and no one has problems doing so, why, because we know that the site is HUGE and the owner cannot possibly cover the cost himself. It is time that the members here start contributing back, not only to the information and expertise of this site, but the responsibility of running it too. I know I would be more then happy to pay a monthly, bi yearly what ever it may be, in order to receive the valuable and quality information the members here continue to present. I'm sure that a vast majority of the validated members who post and continue to read up on information, would be more then willing to contribute a few bucks every now and again.

I know that I will be donating a few dollars soon to contribute, and wont be asking for a refund, because the years of knowledge and information I've received is invaluable.

Sincerely,

Alex Vergo

Donation Sent via Paypal. :D Glad to help out! More to come when needed by you.

FFD260 added to some of the $ money I sent.

Keep up the great site! Thank You Seth !

Just sent in a donation. It's not much (we all know about the EMT pay here). :rolleyes: Hope it all works out in the end and keep up the good work Seth.

Seth,

I haven't received a request for renewal for WEMS' corporate sponsorship. Give me a call and let me know.

Scott

Well said EMSjunkie--and to all the other POSITIVE contributers. If pay pal is working--you should have my contribution.

Thanks Seth--for all you do.

Seth-

My comments are in no means criticism of your site, please treat it as advice that you would receive from a consultant, who is in the field of business and deals with the issues that are facing EMTBravo on a daily bases. I make these comments, in hopes that they resonate with the leadership team of EMTBravo, and offer solutions that help fix your current situation and make EMTBravo better. The quick answer you may think is money, but I will tell you it will not fix the problem at hand. The EMTbravo leadership team needs to evaluate its business model and strategy.

EMTBravo is like 'Starbucks' maybe got to big to fast...and now may suffer the fate which is going to effect many businesses in the next year causing many into bankruptcy. I think you need to revisit you vision of this website/company, basically what do you want to be when you grow up? Simple question right? but actually it is a very tough question that probably half the people on this forum could not answer when they look at there own lives let alone for a company our website.

My suggestion is that EMTBravo refocus its efforts on those websites that draw the most traffic...ex: You have emtbravonewengland, emtbravowest, x635photos, x635blog, emtbravo forums, your latest one about video production etc... All are excellent not sure I see the need for them to be separate. If you streamlined, you may attract better forum topics and wider input from different members. This would also save you the time of updating, maintaining, and hosting multiple sites. Its all about branding at the end of the day, so my choice would be to keep EMTBravo.com and discontinue the other pages (or rather incorporate content into the page).

I would also recommend, launching e-mail/website surveys asking members what new features EMTBravo should add (offer multiple choice options). This allows you to keep a pulse on the membership, and evaluate your changes before you invest time and effort on updates that may not get off the ground. Keep it short, and maybe share the results real-time with members.

I think a premium membership would be an option, but I would like to see all the banners / ads disappear. I have seen them increase over the last few months and clutter the EMTBravo home page (think Google…lots of white space very clean). I would be willing to pay a fee not to see them. If you choose this strategy, you may lose a large part of the people who view your site but they maybe the people you want to lose. You will also need to work more on continuous content update, in order to satisfy your new paying subscribers. It's a mixed blessing, but one you may need in order to keep the site up and running. It may also help cover your supplement income, since the site would paying you to develop content. Not sure how this would effect your 207-A, may want to get an opinion from your attorney to ensure these payments are not construted as ‘side work’…just a thought.

These are just a couple thoughts that you may want to consider, as you look at the long-term viability of EMTBravo. Now is the time to make the decisions, and refocus the site to ensure continued success.

P.S. I realize your personal situation is not the best, but do not put yourself behind the eight ball to far running the site. Unfortunately, your creditors will not be forgiving, or take EMTBravo T-Shirts to satisfy debt. I know you have a thing with travel and taking big trips all over the place, you may need to revisit your priorities until you get your financial situation cleared up and cut the excessive trips.

Best of Luck,

Edited by McSorleys911

Seth --

Great site. While I don't post often, I visit just about every day. Great source of information. I just sent you a donation via Paypal. I would hate to see this site and its sister sites go down. I hope you get broad support. You shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of paying for this site all by yourself, especially now while you are out of work

Ed

Seth-

My comments are in no means criticism of your site, please treat it as advice that you would receive from a consultant, who is in the field of business and deals with the issues that are facing EMTBravo on a daily bases. I make these comments, in hopes that they resonate with the leadership team of EMTBravo, and offer solutions that help fix your current situation and make EMTBravo better. The quick answer you may think is money, but I will tell you it will not fix the problem at hand. The EMTbravo leadership team needs to evaluate its business model and strategy.

EMTBravo is like 'Starbucks' maybe got to big to fast...and now may suffer the fate which is going to effect many businesses in the next year causing many into bankruptcy. I think you need to revisit you vision of this website/company, basically what do you want to be when you grow up? Simple question right? but actually it is a very tough question that probably half the people on this forum could not answer when they look at there own lives let alone for a company our website.

My suggestion is that EMTBravo refocus its efforts on those websites that draw the most traffic...ex: You have emtbravonewengland, emtbravowest, x635photos, x635blog, emtbravo forums, your latest one about video production etc... All are excellent not sure I see the need for them to be separate. If you streamlined, you may attract better forum topics and wider input from different members. This would also save you the time of updating, maintaining, and hosting multiple sites. Its all about branding at the end of the day, so my choice would be to keep EMTBravo.com and discontinue the other pages (or rather incorporate content into the page).

I would also recommend, launching e-mail/website surveys asking members what new features EMTBravo should add (offer multiple choice options). This allows you to keep a pulse on the membership, and evaluate your changes before you invest time and effort on updates that may not get off the ground. Keep it short, and maybe share the results real-time with members.

I think a premium membership would be an option, but I would like to see all the banners / ads disappear. I have seen them increase over the last few months and clutter the EMTBravo home page (think Google…lots of white space very clean). I would be willing to pay a fee not to see them. If you choose this strategy, you may lose a large part of the people who view your site but they maybe the people you want to lose. You will also need to work more on continuous content update, in order to satisfy your new paying subscribers. It's a mixed blessing, but one you may need in order to keep the site up and running. It may also help cover your supplement income, since the site would paying you to develop content. Not sure how this would effect your 207-A, may want to get an opinion from your attorney to ensure these payments are not construted as ‘side work’…just a thought.

These are just a couple thoughts that you may want to consider, as you look at the long-term viability of EMTBravo. Now is the time to make the decisions, and refocus the site to ensure continued success.

P.S. I realize your personal situation is not the best, but do not put yourself behind the eight ball to far running the site. Unfortunately, your creditors will not be forgiving, or take EMTBravo T-Shirts to satisfy debt. I know you have a thing with travel and taking big trips all over the place, you may need to revisit your priorities until you get your financial situation cleared up and cut the excessive trips.

Best of Luck,

So nicely put and without a hitch.

You have some very good ideas that could possobly work here.

let's home things work out for the best and that this site continues as it is now or as a paid site.

i would certainly pay to use it.

Tuna

MY 0.02.

SETH ITS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR A MONTHLY FEE FROM US.

2-3-5 BUCKS SOMETHING I THINK MOST WOULD BE OK WITH TOMORROW IS PAYDAY I KNOW HOSTING/.SERVER SPACE IS VERY EXPENSIVE

With as many members as this site has if just half donated $5 each it would solve the issue of costs of this site for a while. Come on people. We all enjoy this site, Seth has been doing a great job. What's $5? One less trip to Starbucks every week?

EXACTLY!

Seth, Donation is in the mail. :D

Thanks for all that you have done for us.

Let's ALL dig into our pockets to help keep EMTBravo running!

Seth,

Sent you $100.00 Paypal hope this helps.

Thanks

Jim@BuddyLight

First off McSorley911 that was a FANTASTIC post. Seth in NO way am I trying to get in a bash. You aired your DIRTY LAUNDRY on here about where your money goes and I suggested that you stop doing something that makes you spend money which is driving around the COUNTY, STATE, and COUNTRY taking pictures for people on here to see. I am pretty sure we have all seen a POLICE CAR, FIRE TRUCK and AMB. Maybe even a CAR ACCIDENT, FIRE BLOWING OUT A WINDOW, etc... Maybe if you saw something rare like when you were in Hawaii that would be different but do people really care who gets a new fire truck? I mean aren't they all the same anyway. I know that you can have an ENGINE, LADDER, RESCUE, UTILITY, CHIEFS TRUCK and whatever else. I am just saying that if taking these pictures all over the place are causing you to become further in DEBT then stop doing them.

You constantly think that I am trying to get digs on you. RELAX. Hopefully I am not the only one that wants to see exactley what it takes to run this site. I want to help, I really do. I like this site and I like posting on this site. It is almost like voting if you don't vote you can't complain about who is in office. If you don't donate, you can't complain about what you don't like about the site.

SO GOOD LUCK.

First off McSorley911 that was a FANTASTIC post. Seth in NO way am I trying to get in a bash. You aired your DIRTY LAUNDRY on here about where your money goes and I suggested that you stop doing something that makes you spend money which is driving around the COUNTY, STATE, and COUNTRY taking pictures for people on here to see. I am pretty sure we have all seen a POLICE CAR, FIRE TRUCK and AMB. Maybe even a CAR ACCIDENT, FIRE BLOWING OUT A WINDOW, etc... Maybe if you saw something rare like when you were in Hawaii that would be different but do people really care who gets a new fire truck? I mean aren't they all the same anyway. I know that you can have an ENGINE, LADDER, RESCUE, UTILITY, CHIEFS TRUCK and whatever else. I am just saying that if taking these pictures all over the place are causing you to become further in DEBT then stop doing them.

You constantly think that I am trying to get digs on you. RELAX. Hopefully I am not the only one that wants to see exactley what it takes to run this site. I want to help, I really do. I like this site and I like posting on this site. It is almost like voting if you don't vote you can't complain about who is in office. If you don't donate, you can't complain about what you don't like about the site.

SO GOOD LUCK.

Seth's personnel activities really has nothing to do with the life or death of this web site. I agree that maybe his laundry should have stayed in house. That really is not the issue here. It cost money to run a web site and if this web site can not survive on the corporate sponsorships/advertising, then membership fees might have to be the way to go. The bottom line is money and I don't believe that a site like this one should be the sol financial responsibility of Seth.

If he can make money in the process and continue to grow EMTBravo, 2 thumbs up.

Seth's personnel activities really has nothing to do with the life or death of this web site. I agree that maybe his laundry should have stayed in house. That really is not the issue here. It cost money to run a web site and if this web site can not survive on the corporate sponsorships/advertising, then membership fees might have to be the way to go. The bottom line is money and I don't believe that a site like this one should be the sol financial responsibility of Seth.

If he can make money in the process and continue to grow EMTBravo, 2 thumbs up.

Actually when Seth comes on here and says that he is broke because of so and so reasons it does have to do with this web site. It sounds like this website is like another job that he doesn't get paid for. Therefore the money that he is blowing on non vital bills and/or neccesties affects this website. He stated how much he paid to keep the server running for anothe month. Can we assume that means it costs $4800/year to run this site? If that is the case take the number of registered members which I have no idea about and then ask for the money. Almost like paying DUES to a PBA or whatever the FD has. Just not getting anything out of it. Seth started this website didn't he? He knew that it was going to cost money to run. He should have looked more into the future before starting it and falling into debt using his own money.

I am all for the SUPPORT of this WEBSITE. I just want to make sure where my HARD EARNED MONEY IS GOING.

I agree with McSorely911, you need to consolidate and streamline. You have too many sites and your spread too thin. Have one main site ( either .com or .net ) and incorporate the other sites into it. I believe most members come to the site to see what's currently going on. I know I do. Not so much a picture of an old out of service rig in the rear of a DPW yard in California. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just realistic. I know you enjoy taking picture but in light of your current situation you could just post pictures that are submitted for now and I don't think anyone will mind. As far as membership fee's go, I know you have said you don't like to charge for the site but I think most of us would rather join than see it go away. So why not have both. Keep a portion of it free ( maybe just a restricted viewable option) and charge a membership fee to allow those who want to post and view premium content. Maybe even an incident alert notification service may be something to consider. Just an idea. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure most members will support. I realize this thing may have grown too fast and got away from you, sometimes success can be dangerous.

Good Luck

I too agree with McSorleys! His post was very succinct and I personally hope that his advice does not fall on deaf ears. Streamlining this site as well as the others is vital to its success. Best of luck!

My theory is this. If you want us to pay, then the forums should be like cable TV. Did you ever notice why there are no "adult-oriented" programs on broadcast (network) TV? It's because it's free. They allow cursing and other types of "adult" programming on cable because you pay for it and when you turn it on, you're making a conscious decision to watch that type of programming.

That being said, the forums should be like this: If we must be paying members in order to post, then we should be able to completely voice our opinions without any censorship whatsoever. The forum can be like FX or HBO, for example, and not like CBS or NBC.

Some of the posts on here absolutely offend me. I know what I am doing with this website, I knonw what I want to do with this website. Most people making "suggestions" are completly ignorant as to the way I do things. I have enough stress to deal with, and am not going to either bother responding except to say-what is that saying? "You think you know, but you have NO idea".

To those who contributed, thank you very much for your trust and generosity. I really appreciate it, and it will help this site keep going AND FREE. It was one of the most embarrasing things I have ever had to do. I promise to continue to provide the best website I can for you once the IT issues are straightened out.

Some of the posts on here absolutely offend me. I know what I am doing with this website, I knonw what I want to do with this website. Most people making "suggestions" are completly ignorant as to the way I do things. I have enough stress to deal with, and am not going to either bother responding except to say-what is that saying? "You think you know, but you have NO idea".

Steady on, that's a bit harsh (ok, it's bloody harsh and out of order IMHO) - McSorleys in particular made some polite and constructive suggestions, with which I would tend to agree as it happens. If I'd known this was how you react to helpful advice I'd have had second thoughts about making a donation! :angry:

By the way, emtbravo.com is down again, in case you didn't know.

Mike

I am all for a Premium Membership, I've already mentioned it several times, and it appears that it could be a near-future addition.

That would not give any member carte blanche, bottom line: It's still a private site.

Seth alone decides what gets included.

These are his sites, these are his forums.

It's not a democracy.

We cannot post whatever we feel like.

Forum community etiquette requires at a minimum:

-being helpful to other members.

-never respond to trolls or flame other users.

-posts stick to the forum topic

-never post for the sake of posting

-remain reasonable when things get heated

-know what it means to "agree to disagree

-be polite, friendly and enjoy interacting with other people

-ALWAYS say thank you

There can be no:

-baiting, flaming and swearing in the forums.

-posts that are frequently off-topic and ask questions which are unrelated or repeated.

-re-open topics closed by moderation.

If everyone follows these guidelines, we will have a strong and dynamic, internet community.

PS: Personal advice is only helpful if it is requested.

Edited by jack10562

To those who contributed, thank you very much for your trust and generosity. I really appreciate it, and it will help this site keep going AND FREE. It was one of the most embarrasing things I have ever had to do. I promise to continue to provide the best website I can for you once the IT issues are straightened out.

This is a shocker I don't know what to say. Maybe I do know what to say but I know that I will be banned for saying it. Unbelievable. How are people making suggestions ignorant? I don't get it, but the rest of you keep giving him your money. Unitl I see how much it costs to run this website I am not giving you a DIME.

Just because people don't run this site, doesn't mean they don't know how to manage other projects efficiently. I hope your vision works out in your favor. I enjoy this web site thoroughly and would hate to see anything happen to it.

I'm new here, but I don't like that. People made constructive suggestions that were grounded in either personal experience or the fact that they had an idea to share. A truely ignorant person would have made no suggestions, and would have just sat back and watched your website go down the tubes. People made suggestions because they obviously enjoy the website, as they joined for a specific reason and don't want to see anything happen to the site. Other people, being financially conscious, want to make sure that what they donate toward is really where their money goes. No one who made a suggestion, donation, or questioned how their money will be spent is ignorant. The fact of the matter is, no one in this situation is ignorant.

You're absolutely right in your assumption; I have no idea what goes into this website. But, I know how to talk to people, regardless of whether or not they agree with my position. Prior to your post, I was on the fence about donating. But after that post, now I'm not donating. Don't talk to me as if I'm stupid, and don't start a thread where you obviously want people to post either in support of you or give you constructive out-of-the-box ideas, then shoot them down simply because you don't like them. If you ask for an opinion - which is in context what you did - and you get one that you don't like, don't complain about it. Because the simple fact of the situation is that you made a mountain out of a molehill; no one said anything offensive, and if that's the way you're going to be with respect to the 14,000 people on this site, then you obviously have a lot to learn. You can't come out and ask for money, then tell people that they're wrong and that they're offensive simply because they do not share the same viewpoints as you; a group of 14,000 people is going to have 14,000 different viewpoints, and if you want money out of a tenth of them, then you need to change your attitude.

Kudos to FFLieu. I just got an EMAIL that said that my long lost UNCLE died in SOUTH AFRICA and left me $85 million dollars. I just need to send them $5000.00 and they will release the money to me. What do you guys think I should do?

This is a shocker I don't know what to say. Maybe I do know what to say but I know that I will be banned for saying it. Unbelievable. How are people making suggestions ignorant? I don't get it, but the rest of you keep giving him your money. Unitl I see how much it costs to run this website I am not giving you a DIME.

nothing against you personelly (this reply is not directed towards you, i am just using it as an example), but no one is forcing you to like what is going on here, no one is forcing you to visit this site and pay anything, if you don't like the way it is being run then you don't have to keep visiting. im sure seth has a reason for doing what he is doing and we should respect it. it seems like alot of people are trying to bash him when he's running this site on his own. this site has gotten very big and has been around for many years so seth obvisiously knows what he's doing. thats just how i feel.

This is NOT directed towards ANYONE in particular.

Sounds like this has gone south a long time ago, and should be closed, in my opinion.

nothing against you personelly (this reply is not directed towards you, i am just using it as an example), but no one is forcing you to like what is going on here, no one is forcing you to visit this site and pay anything, if you don't like the way it is being run then you don't have to keep visiting. im sure seth has a reason for doing what he is doing and we should respect it. it seems like alot of people are trying to bash him when he's running this site on his own. this site has gotten very big and has been around for many years so seth obvisiously knows what he's doing. thats just how i feel.

This is NOT directed towards ANYONE in particular.

I happen to like some of the discussions that go on. I don't see any bashing what so ever of Seth or the way he runs the site. I see people offering to help with business ideas. I am not a business person what so ever so I won't comment on what is going on behind the scenes here. I do know that Seth needs MONEY to run this site. MONEY that he ran out of. Offereing a solution by members is not bashing. Bashing is Seth coming on here and calling people IGNORANT for trying to help. He came on here and asked for donations. Some of you quickly gave a donation. That's great. I want to see where my money is going before I send a donatioin. I don't think I am the only one on the site that wants that am I?

I agree w/ ONENYMEDIC...I understand the love of photography I really do...but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. You've said its stress relieving, well unfortuately its time to keep it local until you get some money back in the bank. You never know, that suggestion could be based on experience, not a need or desire to bash you. As for people suggesting things, I also agree, most (not all) have been both professional and well intentioned; and while you don't agree w/ suggestions its even more ignorant to dismiss what professional and or extensive knowledge they might have about the general area ...not your site. Its ironic because I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts admonishing other memebers for doing what you have just done.

As for donations, I too would love to help. However, like some others have pointed out, the service fee is really a turn off but more of a turn off is the lack of any information about the dispositions of donations, and further the inescapable fact that when your not transparent, the logical person would assume that the money is going to more immediate things than a website...I'm sorry for your situation; but if you expect perfect strangers to give you their money, don't ask them to not only suspend logic, disregard reality and place alot of trust in you all at once...no one in their right mind is going to pay for a hobby while creditors are banging down the door!

Look I very much enjoy the website, I think its great and I admire what you have created in 5 years...I also respect and like your decision to keep it free. That being said, we are NOT paying customers, if you need to take some time off to get your life in order, I don't think anyone will mind nor would we feel cheated for lack of services provided. Everyone has been supportive for a long time, those who love this site will keep it running until your able to give it your all again!