Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Remember The Day Scanners....

21 posts in this topic

Remember the day you used to be able to punch in a frequency, found usually through the scanner bible, AKA Police Call, and listen to an agency. Heck, my first scanner had crystals!!

Now, you need a radio engineering degree to figure out the latest in scanners! Don't get me wrong, the scanners of nowadays have great features that make monitoring more easy and fun, but I miss the simplicity of the old, basic scanners.

Back in 1976, I had a crystal scanner, identical to this. I'll never forget that Christmas!

The lights lit up one at a time as it scanned each channel.

And Crystals weren't cheap!

post-128-1200104546.jpg

My grandmother still has my grandfather's old Regency one channel crystal receiver. For the longest time I remember the old Plextrons when I was a kid. My first scanner was a Bearcat BC560XLT 16 channel scanner. I though that was the best until the Radio Shack Pro-2000 with 800 Mhz came out, too bad I couldn't convince my parents to by me that $300 scanner for my birthday, always wanted that one.

Ok, Ive read these topics over and over on here, and exucse my ignorance (no pun intented) but i have to ask, what are scanners going for these days? and what are they doing now that they didnt do before. What can I pick one up at radio shack for, I only scan a few channels (local fire, pd). I guess now you have to hook them up to the computer to program, how is that done, usb? I may be due for a new one so I want to get some feedback. Definitly dont need a super duper one.

I just looked at radio shack, GOOD GOD! $600??? What is this trunking, triple trunking etc???

Edited by OnTheWheel

I have an old scanner that was my grandfathers.

It was a Radio Shack 8 or 10 channel base.

They seemed to work A LOT better too!

I have an old scanner that was my grandfathers.

It was a Radio Shack 8 or 10 channel base.

They seemed to work A LOT better too!

I have a radio shack 50 channel and it does the job fine. But im not sure what this trunking stuff is and if it will get all the channels Id like to get these days

There has never, ever been a scanner as good as the reliable Bearcat III.

Wheel, I am with you on this one. Ever since trunking came out for public safety, these things need a rocket scientist and a brain surgeon to figure out. Though I love the BCT396 and BCT996 that i purchase, if it wasn't for computer programs to load up the frequencies I wanted, I would be lost. They need to simplify it. Price too is a constant complaint but as someone who is getting more and more into amateur radio, these area getting into the line of "communications receivers" more so that the old simple "scanner". The reception quality and associated features like CTCSS, PL and DPL and also digital translation have made scanners a lot better that the old crystals and early transistor style radios.

But unfortunately with trunking, scanners have become more complicated from the old "banks" to this new thing "folder" with multiple banks. What are they going to come up with next? Though I can set up the newer scanners to the way I want the simplicity of it is gone. When is too much, too much?

I have a radio shack 50 channel and it does the job fine. But im not sure what this trunking stuff is and if it will get all the channels Id like to get these days

Trunking is where a group of frequencies (i.e. channel A, B, C, D, E ,F) are used in a System that is shared by various users. These users are grouped in to what is called Talkgroups. Talkgroups (TG for short) are the equivalent of conventional channels, where in conventional systems similar agencies use the same frequency (FD on FD channel, PD On PD channel). On a trunked system frequencies are shared (reused) by all agencies FD, EMS, PD, etc.) When an FD Talkgroup user keys his mic it sends a signal to the System that he needs access Voice frequency to transmit his message. The System assigns a frequency for this transmission (in this example channel B), then sends a signal to all FD Talkgroup radios that there is a transmission for them on channel B, and all FD Talkgroup radios automatically tune to channel B. Two minutes later the FD user wants to transmit another message, this time the System assigns channel D for the transmission. All FD Talkgroup radios tune to channel D for this message.The FD user operationally will not, nor does he need to know which frequency he is using fo a specific transmission, it is done automatically by the System.

All Talkgroups will share all the frequencies in the System. Talkgroups will not hear other Talkgroups transmissions even though all Talkgroups use the same frequencies. Typically users can access other Talkgroups by changing the "channel" dial on the radio to access other users transmissions.

That's trunking in a nutshell. See this thread EMTBravo Westchester Trunked System for more detailed info. In particular see the Wiki's interspersed through the post.

I remember my Dad's "scanner" from way back when. It was NOT a scanner, it was a tuneable receiver that went from 30-50MHz. You would tune it by moving the dial to adjust higher or lower in the band, much like a radio from older automobiles. He made two marks on the display, one to tune the "bar" to PD (37.10MHz), the other for FD (46.26MHz). You were lucky if you got it on the mark the first try. For best reception you had to wait until a unit was transmitting, then fine tune it until you got the "best" reception.

Edited by SteveOFD

Jack10562, I love the pic of the scanner.

Brings back memories of falling asleep watching the red lights flash. lol

Here are my first two Scanners.

Base Scanner was the Realistic Patrolman from Radio Shack PRO-53

8 CH - Given to me by my Grandfather.

post-3-1200113044.jpg

Portable Scanner was the Realistic PRO-24

4 CH - Given to me by my Dad.

post-3-1200113123.jpg

bearcat_iii.jpg

My first, passed down from my grandfather, retired Sgt. City of Beacon Police, Life Member Tompkins Hose Fire Company. Wish I still had it, so many memories of buffing calls with him.

Ok, Ive read these topics over and over on here, and exucse my ignorance (no pun intented) but i have to ask, what are scanners going for these days? and what are they doing now that they didnt do before. What can I pick one up at radio shack for, I only scan a few channels (local fire, pd). I guess now you have to hook them up to the computer to program, how is that done, usb? I may be due for a new one so I want to get some feedback. Definitly dont need a super duper one.

I just looked at radio shack, GOOD GOD! $600??? What is this trunking, triple trunking etc???

SteveOFD went over trunking features, above.

Newer scanners can filter unwanted, shared frequency traffic, as well as track the new trunked systems. With conventional radio systems nowadays, different agencies in the same regional area can share the same frequency and not interfere with each other by using Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System (CTCSS ) These are also known as PL, or private line, and DPL, digital Private Line, ( and there are others ).

What CTCSS (or DCS, a digital version) does is transmits a sub-audible tone along with the voice transmission that "opens" only the radios within the agency transmitting when the proper sub-audible frequency tone is part of the transmission. For example, I listen to Ossining Police which uses 154.115 with a DPL code of 043. Ossining PD shares this frequency with Bridgewater NJ and Lindhurst NJ PD. ALL transmissions going out on the frequency will be picked up by an older conventional scanner if it cannot filter out the unwanted out-of-state traffic by using the PL code. Bridgewater and Lindhurst are busy little departments! By using a newer PL (DPL) capable scanner, I no longer have to hear the NJ traffic or miss my local PD transmissions that were going on at the same time and were previously covered.

With a trunktracking scanner, you can easily monitor a talkgroup whenever they transmit, since the shared trunk channel can change with every transmission. You could program a conventional scanner to "listen" on the trunk system frequencies, but it could become impossible to follow a particular talkgroup once other users on the shared system are talking.

Depending on the radio, almost all the newer scanners can be programmed either manually or by attaching it to a computer with a USB or serial cable. Programming the scanner by Computer is by far, faster and easier.

You don't have to spend $600 on a scanner. Any newer one, either base or handheld that will allow trunk tracking and lets you add frequency PL or DPL codes for the locale, is all you need.

With more and more of Westchester Fire and EMS agencies migrating over to the new trunked system, you will be missing out on a lot of radio traffic unless you have one of the newer trunk-capable scanners.

Just remember who invented the first trunked system.................. Good ol' Ma Bell!

AT&T started trunking with our phone system way bak when "Betsy" was pluging in the old jack into the board.

Then we got smart and Motorola & EF Johnson (to name a few) created it for radios systems mainly used for buisnesses. Then came the town council who put every service on it and it took public saftey to teach and prove to everyone how to overload it! As you can tell I'm not a trucked public saftey radio fan.

:(

Bearcat 210xl , my first - Purchased at Caldor in 1980 or 81. Quess I havent grown out of this phase LOL.

also 4 ch. Radio Shack PRO-24 (Realistic) crystal - same as RWC130.

post-23-1200362426.jpg

I had one of the old Bearcat crystal scanners from I guess the early 80's. Don't remember the name or number but it had a gold colored front with six channels. I remember when I was a kid how exciting it was to go to Radio Shack to get new crystals!! The only other place around Westchester that I think sold the crystals was the old electronics/hobby store that was on Yonkers Avenue near the Cross County Parkway. Think its a CVS now. The name escapes me there too. I think the crystals were about 5 or 6 dollars maybe??

Is till have the scanner around someplace and last I checked I think it still worked!!!

Maybe someone should publish a book entitled "Trunking For Dummies". I would have to say that I would be on line for it.

Maybe someone should publish a book entitled "Trunking For Dummies". I would have to say that I would be on line for it.

Which scanner are you looking to master? There's a ton of info online.

This ought to get you started: http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/index.html

Special Thanks to TR54 for the link

I actually still have the first scanner i bought...a Uniden Bearcat 210XL, 18 channel fully programmable scanner...then i look at the handheld 200 channel one i have, and the 1,000 channel digital/trunking scanner i have...completely different scanners...and im sure if i had a stronger antenna i could get more on the 18 channel one...cus i can even get some of the trunking channels on it.(it was cheaper to)