Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

American LaFrance Financial Situation Worsens

45 posts in this topic

I would now assume that Yonkers will not be getting their 2 New Tower Ladders (71 & 75) and Engines (308 & 309) anytime soon (if ever). Wonder if YFD has a contingency plan in place, to which they can find ALF in default of contract and re-award the contract to the next lowest bidder (whoever that was, maybe Smeal). Curious to see what Yonkers now has in mind to take a different course of action, to avoid any unnecessary additional delays?

Pessimism doesn't get anyone anywhere! FYI, a number of corporations have filed chapter 11 and come back strong after re-organizing their focus and finances. Just assuming that the YFD will not get their apparatus is plain old ludicrous...doesn't ALF have more than 1 plant (?)...oh, and that is why there is a "play on words" using the word "assume"...Makes an a** out of u...in this case, not me!

And I love how you guess the numbers that will be assigned new apparatus...argh!

Edited by Oswegowind

Oswegowind - I know that you are one of the dispatchers in Yonkers and certainly have access to direct information. This is the area of your expertise, to which I and many truely respect. Knowing that YFD only has 2 Tower Ladders as front line pieces (71 & 75) and the 2 Oldest Front Line Engine Companies are 308 & 309, logic indicates that these would be the ones that would be replaced. However, yes, one cannot be absolutely certain and you would know better.

As far as Corporate Business Law is concerned, in the position that I currently hold, I believe (and I may be wrong) that I might know a little more about the Bankruptcy Laws and can shed more light on this matter. American LaFrance, filing for Chapter 11, is used as a "relief" from creditors as they attempt to restructure their organization. It does, however, affect "Greatly" their ability to fill out current In-House orders, to which the Yonkers Fire Department has equipment on order. Most municipalities who go to contract for Capital Equipment Expeditures, usually have performance clauses built in, as safe guards, in case such instances as this, happen. Most municipal bids also have language built in, to which, if the Bid Award Contractor defaults, the company who bid the next lowest "could" be awarded the bid OR they could go back out to bid (the latter would certainly slow down the process even more than it current has been slowed down).

Also, American LaFrance filing Chapter 11 covers ALL American LaFrance facilities, not just their New Carolina Facility.

Thus, the subject of the post was to inquire whether or not Yonkers had built in any contingency plans within the contract and whether or not they were now looking to an alternate supplier, given ALF's current situation.

Not being Pessimistic, trying to be Optimistic, but being a "Realist"

Also remember, "Assume" is an "Educated" Guess.

Stay Safe and Well

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pessimism doesn't get anyone anywhere! FYI, a number of corporations have filed chapter 11 and come back strong after re-organizing their focus and finances. Just assuming that the YFD will not get their apparatus is plain old ludicrous...doesn't ALF have more than 1 plant (?)...oh, and that is why there is a "play on words" using the word "assume"...Makes an a** out of u...in this case, not me!

And I love how you guess the numbers that will be assigned new apparatus...argh!

This post has been edited by Oswegowind: 24 minutes ago

Oswegowind - I know that you are one of the dispatchers in Yonkers and certainly have access to direct information. This is the area of your expertise, to which I and many truely respect. Knowing that YFD only has 2 Tower Ladders as front line pieces (71 & 75) and the 2 Oldest Front Line Engine Companies are 308 & 309, logic indicates that these would be the ones that would be replaced. However, yes, one cannot be absolutely certain and you would know better.

As far as Corporate Business Law is concerned, in the position that I currently hold, I believe (and I may be wrong) that I might know a little more about the Bankruptcy Laws and can shed more light on this matter. American LaFrance, filing for Chapter 11, is used as a "relief" from creditors as they attempt to restructure their organization. It does, however, affect "Greatly" their ability to fill out current In-House orders, to which the Yonkers Fire Department has equipment on order. Most municipalities who go to contract for Capital Equipment Expeditures, usually have performance clauses built in, as safe guards, in case such instances as this, happen. Most municipal bids also have language built in, to which, if the Bid Award Contractor defaults, the company who bid the next lowest "could" be awarded the bid OR they could go back out to bid (the latter would certainly slow down the process even more than it current has been slowed down).

Also, American LaFrance filing Chapter 11 covers ALL American LaFrance facilities, not just their New Carolina Facility.

Thus, the subject of the post was to inquire whether or not Yonkers had built in any contingency plans within the contract and whether or not they were now looking to an alternate supplier, given ALF's current situation.

Not being Pessimistic, trying to be Optimistic, but being a "Realist"

Also remember, "Assume" is an "Educated" Guess.

Stay Safe and Well

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post has been edited by Oswegowind: 24 minutes ago

Updated news: http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jan/29...maker_bankrupt/

As reported by Firehouse.com on January 29,2008 American LaFrance has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

....and this in today's Orlando Sentinell:

Sanford factory that makes rescue vehicles to close

The American LaFrance Medic Master factory in Sanford, which manufactures ambulances and rescue vehicles for fire departments nationwide, will close and lay off its 140 employees, its parent company announced this week.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...0,7726379.story

The Mayor from Irvington, NY was just on News 12, she spoke of their $300,000+ engine delivery, which has been put in jeopardy as a result.

I hope the involved parties can come to an agreement and work out their finances, so that ALF might be able to resume production.

Anyone heard other news on local deliveries affected?

The Mayor from Irvington, NY was just on News 12, she spoke of their $300,000+ engine delivery, which has been put in jeopardy as a result.

I hope the involved parties can come to an agreement and work out their finances, so that ALF might be able to resume production.

Anyone heard other news on local deliveries affected?

I thought they were working with ELITE , Any body know for sure.

I thought they were working with ELITE , Any body know for sure.

News12 said it was Elite.

I wonder if this means Wolverine will absorb and finish that large Montgomery County, Maryland order for 30some pumpers, or if the county has contracted with another builder?

By the way, am I the only one who has never heard of Wolverine Fire Apparatus?

I believe that Montgomery County cancelled that order after taking delivery of the first rig. Don't know if Wolverine got it or if the county will re-bid it

I wonder if this means Wolverine will absorb and finish that large Montgomery County, Maryland order for 30some pumpers, or if the county has contracted with another builder?

By the way, am I the only one who has never heard of Wolverine Fire Apparatus?

Here is the link if anyone wants to read up on them. http://www.wolverinefire.com/