Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Immigration Checks: During traffic stops?

13 posts in this topic

Well here is a good question and a timely one for the immigration debate:

Why can't local law enfocement get access to the Fed's database of illegal

immigrants for use during routine traffic stops and during other situations

involving routine warrant checks???

Sounds simple to me, but I guess the answer is complicated!!!

Couldn't the federal DCJS or statewide NYSPIN systems somehow get linked into the Fed's database???

Many thanks.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

NYSPIN responses will indicate if the subject is CURRENTLY WANTED or if he/she is a PREVIOUSLY DEPORTED FELON, but not that they are simply "illegal".

I don't think the question is CAN they. The question is WILL they. The Feds are very reluctant to share their computer data base with municipal law enforcement. And if they do it's on a very controled basis. Another question is. What are the cops going to do with all the illegals that they do identify? The INS isn't like a ball of fire in their response to pick up people that are IDed as illegals. This I know for a fact from previous experience. Another question is will the municipality have the balls to allow their cops to do this. You have cities that are declaring themselves "safe havens" and the like.

I agree with chief, even if they were identified as illegals, there is nothing they could do about it. If they were to put a definitive term on what it means to be an illegal and a punishment (other than deportation), then we might be on to something.! Also, I am sure the ACLU would start crying that it is a violation of the civil liberties of the illegals.

Just look at the noise being made about Danbury PD teaming up with ICE, even though the population of Danbury is overwhelmingly in support of the efforts. It is possible, but the officers have to go through specialized training, which is the route Danbury is taking.

How about either no state issued ID or a separate ID for illegals. ID's issued to visitors expire when their Visa, green card, etc expire.

I stopped an individual one night who had an active immigration warrant. I called the phone number provided, positively ID'ed the guy and confirmed that it was an active detainer warrant, locked the guy up, and ICE was at the precinct within 2 hours picking him up to ship him back to Gambia.

From what I was told alot of times it depends on their country of origin. Gambia has a lot of ties to terrorist groups, so the agents from ICE were more than happy to come pick this guy up.

I stopped an individual one night who had an active immigration warrant. I called the phone number provided, positively ID'ed the guy and confirmed that it was an active detainer warrant, locked the guy up, and ICE was at the precinct within 2 hours picking him up to ship him back to Gambia.

From what I was told alot of times it depends on their country of origin. Gambia has a lot of ties to terrorist groups, so the agents from ICE were more than happy to come pick this guy up.

That is the exception to the rule though. More often than not, for non-violent/non-federal charges ICE is just too busy to come out. Most of my experience with situations like this pre-dates 9/11 but back then INS wouldn't come out for much of anything. Local charges, forged identification including social security cards, and INS said "thanks, but we're not coming".

Pity every contact like the above isn't handled the same way.

That is the exception to the rule though. More often than not, for non-violent/non-federal charges ICE is just too busy to come out. Most of my experience with situations like this pre-dates 9/11 but back then INS wouldn't come out for much of anything. Local charges, forged identification including social security cards, and INS said "thanks, but we're not coming".

Pity every contact like the above isn't handled the same way.

It's definetly the exception. If the guy was from Mexico, I'm sure they would probably care less. I stop illegals all the time driving, and most of them are upfront that they are illegal. Unfortunately though, it's always an unlicensed operator summons and send 'em on their way.

These are the same people that are probably cutting most of our members lawns the next day. :rolleyes:

Edited by FirNaTine

ICE has a program to partner with local law enforcement called ACCESS. Danbury, CT Police are considering a partnership to have access to immigration status information. The process is somewhat more complicated, but I don't know all the details.

How about either no state issued ID or a separate ID for illegals. ID's issued to visitors expire when their Visa, green card, etc expire.

I don't think illegals will be lining up to get Illegal ID's...just a thought though!

Maybe this can become an integrated feature to the new Ejustice Portal once up an running??