Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYS*DOT's Prepared For Battle Against Snow

10 posts in this topic

Every now and then, to pass some time, I go out hunting photos, not expecting to find much. Today, I dedided to swing by NYS*DOT's Cortlandt-Bear Mountain Pkwy Depot, because I haven't shot any trucks there ever.

Well, today I stumbled upon this suprise! Looks like this beast is ready to fight a major snowstorm! However, with winters becoming warmer and warmer, and "snowstorms" becoming nusiance ice storms, I hope this doesn't become obsolete in this part of NYS.

Looks like they are very proud of this piece of equipment. I wonder how many of these NYS*DOT owns, and how many are in the Hudson Valley?

(Photo by me, today)

post-11-1200603946.jpg

Now thats what you call a snowblower

i have seen those upstate and in vermont never anywhere near this far south....interesting do they know something we don't!!! <_< haha

also anyone know how fast one of these can drive while in use...just curious

Edited by Dondestro

I currently work in my Village DPW, and I heard our superintendant talk about airports selling their old "Snow Blowers" they used to clear the runways with to State and County DPW's that can afford them. Looks like its nice to have, but I have heard they are mainly used for snow removal, after the storm is over, to remove the piles of snow from main streets and village parking lots. They use this to shoot the snow into dumptrucks and haul it off.

As of now, we have a team of 8 guys to do snow removal in our village; 2 to run the loaders, 2 to run back hoes, 3 to drive truck, and one to use a 550 with a plow to clean up behind the crews. One loader has a pusher on it and it piles up all of the snow from the side of main street and all of the side streets, one loader loads trucks, the two backhoes back drag the snow off of the sidewalks and smaller streets. Its a big operation, but with this beast it probably takes one operator and three drivers.

Nice Picture!

Also found this "Anti Ice Unit" at the NYS*DOT Taconic/Route 301 Maintainence Facilty.

Another neat vehicle I didn't know they had in their arsenal.

Anyone know the chasis? I assume they use this instead of salt because of the State Park, and Watershed area.

post-11-1201278173.jpg

Looks to be an Oshkosh, but I can't say for certain.

It is a Oshkosh alright, looks like the chassis that Oshkosh built the R-11 (?) US Airforce fuel tanker on. It was a 6x4 chassis, one of the few non-all-wheel-drive chassis they marketed. Any ex-Airforce guys out there?

Seth this truck looks like what is used to pre treat roads with the salt brine before storms

Seth, the Village of Port Chester used to have one of those large snowblowers. Maybe Eng 58 can let us know if they still have it or not. They cleaned Rt 1 rather nicely.

It is an Oshkosh chassis, probably from the Air Force that used to be a fuel tanker, the West barnstable Fire Dist. (Cape Cod) just got one FEPP surplus for a water supply truck, has a 5000 gallon stainless tank and 500gpm PTo pump, we (FL DOF) have several available that Districts are getting