Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Automatically Closing Topics

27 posts in this topic

Members-

We've recently installed a script that will automatically close topics after 14 days of inactivity.

This will prevent "dead" topics from being dredged up by newer members, or members who don't see the date on the topic.

This will help to keep content fresh on the forum. Please do not think we are locking every topic!

Thanks!

-Seth

Seth, didn't we already have a script like this that locked them out after 30 days of inactivity? Was that lost on server upgrades?

Edited by xfirefighter484x

will the threads be deleted or just locked? I feel that if they are deleted, it could lead to an influx in reposts. Also, some of the threads have some useful information in them, would be a shame to have that lost.

Some topics, and information, are timeless.

Why lock any of them?

Some topics, and information, are timeless.

Why lock any of them?

All of our topics, and information, are timeless!!! :lol:

The intent is for threads that lie dormant for two weeks generally have passed their current-interest level.

They won't be deleted, they will be archived in place.

If something new comes along on the same topic, just start a new topic and post a link to the old one.

This saves readers from scrolling through a sometimes multi-page thread to get the new posting.

It really will benefit everyone.

Jack

I disagree.

But then again its your board so do whatever you want.

Thanks Jack, I feel you summed it up pretty well.

I disagree.

But then again its your board so do whatever you want.

What do you disagree with?

Is it that hard to scroll through a multipage thread to get to a new posting?

And what sense is there in having to start a new topic, and then linking to the old topic.

Stupid, if you ask me.

I don't think you understand. This is to keep to members from "reviving" topics that are from 5 years ago, or bring up a topic that's been "beaten to death". Often times, these topics are outdated or irrelevant. This is to encourage fresh content, fresh information, and to invigorate fresh discussions.

If no one posts in a topic for 30 days, then it is locked. Obviously, the topic has served its purpose. However, note you can request a topic be reopened if you feel that it is warranted by contacting a moderator, who, at their discretion, can reopen a topic.

We are not locking active topics that are currently being discussed. I still do not understand what is "stupid"?

I guess I just don't understand.

That's fine.

Here's an Idea, why don't you just lock this thread because when you post some bit of information about this board, then people comment on it, you seem to get upset.

If you have a policy, then state that policy and don't even open it up for comment and discussion. Because in the end, you will do what you want to do anyway.

By the way, I am very disappointed in the way that the tiff you had with "Oneyedmic" was handled.

Seems to me the guy called a spade a spade, and he is now suspended for one year.

I guess I just don't understand.

That's fine.

Here's an Idea, why don't you just lock this thread because when you post some bit of information about this board, then people comment on it, you seem to get upset.

If you have a policy, then state that policy and don't even open it up for comment and discussion. Because in the end, you will do what you want to do anyway.

I don't lock threads when I state a policy because I leave it open for member input and discussion. Often times, I amend or change things based on members response. I want everyone on this forum to be able to give input, and I listen to everyone's ideas.

I'm dissapointed that you chose to take this route to address the issue. It's obvious you had a bone to pick, and really just wanted to taunt rather then a discussion about the policy.

SEE THE OTHER THREAD FOR REPLY TO YOUR OTHER COMMENT.

Seth while I agree with locking threads I don't agree with the 2 weeks. One has just to look at the thread started by "hudson144." on his 2 department issues. There were several times 2 weeks went by and nothing. Then an update and several posts after then another few weeks. Some issues just take a little time off. I think the 30 days were fine.

SEE THE OTHER THREAD FOR REPLY TO YOUR OTHER COMMENT.

Seth, can you explain to me why there is a post in the other thread with my name on it, that I did not make?

Seth, can you explain to me why there is a post in the other thread with my name on it, that I did not make?

You chose to drag in and hijack this thread with an entirely seperate issue......I split that comment into an existing thread as to not take this thread off course. As it states in the forum guidelines, we reserve the right to do that.

I'm not continuing this bickering with you on the thread. If you have any further complaints or issues, contact me via PM. Otherwise, your comments will be ignored by the moderators and myself. Furthermore, any more posts by you on this thread will result in a 30 day suspension from this forum. I don't need someone incessentaly and intentionally trying to cause a conflict with me.

I don't have any further complaints or issues, I have but ONE complaint right now, and that is that somehow a post appeared in a thread that was not put there by me.

Did you copy from my post in this thread and repost what you copied in another thread and put it there with my user name?

I don't have any further complaints or issues, I have but ONE complaint right now, and that is that somehow a post appeared in a thread that was not put there by me.

Did you copy from my post in this thread and repost what you copied in another thread and put it there with my user name?

Try reading my above comment, THEN responding. Thanks!

Fair enough .

I will posit that I wrote the last post while you were writing yours, and did not see your reply until after I had finished writing and posting mine. These things happen on boards like this.

HOWEVER.

I think it would be prudent for you, if moving posts to other threads, to correctly annotate such a moved post so that a reader doesnt think someone like me is posting the same thing twice, apparently with my panties in a twist.

What you should have done with the moved post is put it in quotes and attributed the quote to my first post.

Often times, I amend or change things based on members response. I want everyone on this forum to be able to give input, and I listen to everyone's ideas.

But if you don't like the input, you delete posts.

But if you don't like the input, you delete posts.

Enough. Your ignorance is quite obvious, as all of your posts are still here. As warned before, welcome to a 30 day suspension. I done dealing with your nonsense today, and happily, the next 30 days!

I've got mixed feelings about this script. It may create alot more duplication of topics in the near future, but I do get annoyed when old topics that are beaten to death are brought back. If it becomes a problem in the future, can the membership have the script removed?

For the love of god, the people that are suspended keep sturing the pot. There has got to be something better to do than to keep going back and forth with the person that RUNS THIS SITE, you all would not be going through this if you would cut the crap. Get over it ,it is done. Take it like a man and come back in 30 days. If it bothers you that much (the way the site is run) don't come on it anymore!!!!!

Seth,

I like the idea but 2 weeks seem a little bit short. Yes, people beat old topics but they have questions, even if beatin to death, we should still answer the questions or conserns if it can help 1 persons unerstanding to a topic....... every once in a while yea i don't get on for a week or two. will i have too search through archives inorder to read them then ask you to unlovk them. I think i am misreading it but if i am not i also think 30 days would be more suitable.

Does cuting it to 2 weeks save space for the site or any performance issues?!?

As warned before, welcome to a 30 day suspension.

Seth, I had my finger on "the button"

That was easy.jpg.

Seth, I had my finger on "the button"

That was easy.jpg.

I can understand suspending a person for not heeding many warnings, and I can even see you supporting your friends decision, but I really don't feel that gloating is necessary. It does not serve any purpose other than stirring the pot, which is exactly why the other member was suspended.

THis is in no way, shape, or form a taunt to the mods/admin, I would just like to see you guys take the higher ground on matters like this.

Edited by Bababoosky

Jack, LMAO on the easy button!

As for the other comment, we do take the higher road. However, no matter what we do, someone finds fault with it. These members have caused me considerable stress, and if I want to gloat about them being too ignorant to follow the rules and the consqeuences because they were to arrogant to (which also reinforces to other members), then I feel I can. We are the ones spending hours upon hours working on keeping this forum going, and if people are going to bash or taunt us publicly in a thread, I feel that we can strike back to relieve the stress a little. I don't feel it's underved or unwarranted, especially with the intesity of the attacks lately.

As for the other comment, we do take the higher road. However, no matter what we do, someone finds fault with it. These members have caused me considerable stress, and if I want to gloat about them being too ignorant to follow the rules and the consqeuences because they were to arrogant to (which also reinforces to other members), then I feel I can. We are the ones spending hours upon hours working on keeping this forum going, and if people are going to bash or taunt us publicly in a thread, I feel that we can strike back to relieve the stress a little. I don't feel it's underved or unwarranted, especially with the intesity of the attacks lately.

Point taken

I know I have limited input here, but Seth, you had no reason to have to go through a battle like that with a member out in public forum. You don't have to defend your actions, or get into a battle royale in front of everyone.

I am not criticizing your actions, just saying, don't feel the need to duke it out in the public forum, whether or not you have been "called out"!!

This topic has gotten way out of hand, this shouldn't be that big of a deal, therefore I'm closing it. Anyone who wishes to discuss the automatic closing of topics after 30 days of inactivity may contact me via PM or email at EMTBravo@EMTBravo.com