Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TBarnum

Rye's Ladder Situation

40 posts in this topic

I knew you were coming back, I just didn't know they made you lieutenant already, I'll go take my shield off now!

MY BAD DUNDERDALE...I AM SOOO USED TO WRITING LT...ITS A HARD HABBIT TO BREAK AFTER 9 YEARS

YOU AT THE FIREHOUSE??? AND YES I KNOW U HAVE MISSED ME LOL WWELL AT LEAST MY DRIVING ANYWAY LOL LOL

Sometimes the smallest thing will make a volunteer feel like they belong. And yes this includes being trained to drive a a piece of fire equip.

Why is it so important to make an "employee" (Volunteer) belong? I thought that's why the FIRE COMPANIES have social membership? You can't expect departments or paid or volunteer drivers to go out of their way to train someone just to make them feel like they belong. I think it's a shame that people join fire departments to "fit in" it's 9 out of 10 times a calling volunteer or paid. They should want to be there for all call, standbys, false alarms, lift assist etc. Everyone is there to do a job and the job or jobs have to get done when it's needed, people can't just be trained to play with lights, sirens, or RADIOS to feel "apart of something". That feeling most of the time comes with going to calls with people and bonding through experiences, those wacky calls or close calls........... That’s when you really are apart or something not just cause you can drive a fire truck.

Edited by Flatline

YOU AT THE FIREHOUSE??? AND YES I KNOW U HAVE MISSED ME LOL WWELL AT LEAST MY DRIVING ANYWAY LOL LOL

Well, I haven't had a white knuckle ride in a while...

Why is it so important to make an "employee" (Volunteer) belong? I thought that's why the FIRE COMPANIES have social membership? You can't expect departments or paid or volunteer drivers to go out of their way to train someone just to make them feel like they belong. I think it's a shame that people join fire departments to "fit in" it's 9 out of 10 times a calling volunteer or paid. They should want to be there for all call, standbys, false alarms, lift assist etc. Everyone is there to do a job and the job or jobs have to get done when it's needed, people can't just be trained to play with lights, sirens, or RADIOS to feel "apart of something". That feeling most of the time comes with going to calls with people and bonding through experiences, those wacky calls or close calls........... That’s when you really are apart or something not just cause you can drive a fire truck.

FIRST I DIDNT SAY THAT IS THE ONLY REASON, WHY PEOPLE ARE VOLUNTEERS. AND IF ANYONE KNOWS ME, I WAS ALWAYS ON ALL THE CALLS THE GOOD,BAD AND THE LONG ONES THAT LASTED FOR HOURS. WELL LETS SEE, LIKE ANY "JOB" THE MORE OPPORTUNITY THAT YOU HAVE TO BECOME MORE INVOLVED IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THEN YOU WILL FEEL BETTER ABOUT IT. SO FOR A VOLUNTEER OR EVEN A CARREER FF WHEN U CAN ADVANCE YOUSELF (LIKE BECOMING A DRIVER) THEN YOU MAY BE A LITTLE MORE UPBEAT ABOUT THE "JOB" I NEVER SAID THAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE SIRENS OR DRIVING OR EVEN THE RADIO. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE TURNING THIS INTO A "PAID/VOL" THING IN, IN WHICH CASE I CAN QUICKLY ACCOMADATE U.

FIRST I DIDNT SAY THAT IS THE ONLY REASON, WHY PEOPLE ARE VOLUNTEERS. AND IF ANYONE KNOWS ME, I WAS ALWAYS ON ALL THE CALLS THE GOOD,BAD AND THE LONG ONES THAT LASTED FOR HOURS. WELL LETS SEE, LIKE ANY "JOB" THE MORE OPPORTUNITY THAT YOU HAVE TO BECOME MORE INVOLVED IN WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THEN YOU WILL FEEL BETTER ABOUT IT. SO FOR A VOLUNTEER OR EVEN A CARREER FF WHEN U CAN ADVANCE YOUSELF (LIKE BECOMING A DRIVER) THEN YOU MAY BE A LITTLE MORE UPBEAT ABOUT THE "JOB" I NEVER SAID THAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE SIRENS OR DRIVING OR EVEN THE RADIO. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE TURNING THIS INTO A "PAID/VOL" THING IN, IN WHICH CASE I CAN QUICKLY ACCOMADATE U.

I didn't say that's the only reason people are volunteers, I'm saying you shouldn't help people that are like that. There's nothing wrong with advancing yourself at all. I'm not turning this into any "Paid/Vol" thing, don't get your radio strap in a bunch! There's people that join or take the test mainly on the reason to "feel like they belong". Now you can't say since you joined 15 years ago people you became friends with you would have outside of the firehouse. You became friends from calls, and experiences....... I think you missed my whole thing about 9 OUT OF 10 people join because it's a CALLING for them!!!!!! So like I said most people are there for the right reasons and those people shouldn't go out of their way to train people to "help make them feel like they belong".

Edited by Flatline

Whats wrong with trying to make the Volunteers feel more like a part of the team? yes to 9 out of 10 its a calling, but even if you are part of that 9 and if as a volunteer you are limited to the responses you can go to (brush, cars, dumpsters, wires, carb all handled by a still paid engine) cant ride the rigs, go straight to the scene in your auto, the only time you really do any work is at a working fire...and if your department only gets 3 a year...I can see how you feel like you are not doing much. Im not saying this is how Rye is doing it, but I do know some other combo dept.s and how the volunteers are used. So if letting the Volunteers train on a spare rig and use it for some alarm assignments ,go out on training by themselves, allow them to go out of town on mutula aide calls, makes them feel like they belong to the team so be it.

I think it is about time for this issue to rest. I was a member of the department in question. I know how active the volunteers used to be. Turk was one of the most active volunteers before he got hired to the paid staff. Most of the volunteers got hired. Thats where most some of the volllies went. Some, like myself moved away. They went through a lull in membership. I will not hide behind this website, most know who I am. I am mechanic and fix all of their rigs, work along side a warden in the department, so I know whats going on. I am just stating the facts. Its just good that in this day and age, where volunteerism is on the decline, that they are now supporting their paid staff better now than in recent years. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. Some how this topic went from Port Chester Ladder 31 to this topic. It will be delivered soon. THE END.

This topic isn't constructive, positive, or respectful of one another....there's no need for a bicker war. Also, this forum isn't to debate internal department issues or conflicts. Therefore, this topic is closed.

If anyone has any issue with this, please contact me via PM. Thanks.