Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Added Pics -Thornwood NY - 5 Years Ago 2-16-2003

17 posts in this topic

Great photos. I was in the bucket of Tl-5 when we first set up, and remember it being really cold, ended up freezing to the on-board air supply line. That and the different color smoke coming out the pharmarcy section of the CVS.

Yeah it was cold. You know what I remember? The amount of OT that I got. That night there was a Homicide in Hawthorne and that afternoon was the fire. Crazy day.

Wow - was it 5 years already? That was my first big call I buffed in this area :unsure: How time flies. Actually had a couple of pictures from there published in the NYS Association of Fire Chiefs magazine. I also dragged along my 4 yo son - he quickly got cold and disinterested. Probably scarred him for life now :lol:

I never saw so much smoke from any fire, in my entire life!

When we went back the following day to restore what gas we could (for heat) to the stores that didn't burn, we were lucky to find the gas cutoff valves, they were buried under 4 inches of solid ice!

I also wondered, what happened to the firefighter who rode a ground ladder all the way down from the parapet in front, when it slipped out on the ice?

I do remember he was hurt.

I never saw so much smoke from any fire, in my entire life!

When we went back the following day to restore what gas we could (for heat) to the stores that didn't burn, we were lucky to find the gas cutoff valves, they were buried under 4 inches of solid ice!

I also wondered, what happened to the firefighter who rode a ground ladder all the way down from the parapet in front, when it slipped out on the ice?

I do remember he was hurt.

Yes, I know who you are talking about. It was one of Thornwood's officers. I know he broke several bones, in his back, and his pelvis. he spent a lot of time in rehabilitation.

No, this is the shopping center with A&P at the end of Kensco Rd/ Columbus Ave

not really sure, but was this the shoprite plaza???

RoseHill Shopping Center.

Yes, I know who you are talking about. It was one of Thornwood's officers. I know he broke several bones, in his back, and his pelvis. he spent a lot of time in rehabilitation.

Correction - he was a former officer and he did not have a fx pelvis. I believe this incident is still in litigation, so I will say no more.

I remember driving to work coming south on the saw mill river pkwy and seeing the huge smoke column. Reminded me of that hugh warehouse fire yonkers had on Nepperhan Ave in like 94 or 95 I think.

Protection From the Past

post-23-1206222738.jpg

Thornwood NY

post-23-1206222877.jpg

PFP

post-23-1206223031.jpg

PFP

post-23-1206223150.jpg

post-23-1206223187.jpg

Thornwood NY

hey there's my camry!