Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pfdfirefighter01

Jet blue or airtran, which is better?

27 posts in this topic

im setting up a trip to Orlando in October and was wondering which air carrier is better, air tran or jet blue???? I will most likely be flying from westchester. If anyone has any comments, it would be appreciated. Thanks, Brendan

I think that JetBlue is great, I have flown with them several times and have only good things to say about their entire operation. You're own T.V. c'mon!

HOWEVER, I flew AirTran last year for the first time when I went to Florida because I could get a direct flight from Rochester to Tampa wheras with JetBlue I had to connect through JFK. I would gladly give up the T.V. for the direct flight, that was fantastic! AirTran does have sattelite radio though which is great.

BOTTOM LINE, they are both about the same as far as good service goes so I would go with whichever gives you the most convenient flight for the best price.

Have a nice, safe trip!

I've flown Jet Blue once round-trip down to Tampa and back. Direct flight out of Logan was good, and a marathon of my favorite Discovery shows was GREAT. One downside though, screen was a little too small.

Mike

I've flown both and I think Jet Blue has the edge.

Yeah, the the DTV of Jet Blue beats out the XM radio of Airtran but Jet Blue has other pluses also. Airtran has 31 inch for coach compared to Jet Blue's 32" behind the emergency wing seats and 34" in rows 1-9 (in front of the wing seats). Sure, the 1 to 3 inch difference doesn't seem like much but you'll appreciate that extra leg room an hour in flight.

Whichever is CHEAPER ($$$$$$$$$$)! I used to be loyal to JetBlue... the fares were great, the legroom is better, and the DirecTV was cool and I didn't care for airline food anyway. However, in comparing fares for this summer, JetBlue is as expensive as most of the big ol' airlines (depending of course on your destination!).

If you live in northern Westchester or points north of there, I'd also recommend Stewart. They have just as many flights to Florida now (JetBlue and AirTran) and their parking situation is MUCH, MUCH better than Westchester's. The terminal is also far less crowded.

Enjoy your trip!

im setting up a trip to Orlando in October and was wondering which air carrier is better, air tran or jet blue???? I will most likely be flying from westchester. If anyone has any comments, it would be appreciated. Thanks, Brendan

i've done alot of trips to Orlando from this area and have to say that Jet Blue out of Stewart is the better choice, you get a direct flight to Orlando and probably will be on a larger jet, i believe you can only get regional jets out of White Plains, i just flew from White Plains to Charlotte on a RJ and had problems landing in the fog and had to be diverted for a few hours while the larger jets had more sophisticated landing equipment and were able to land on time... good luck...

i've done alot of trips to Orlando from this area and have to say that Jet Blue out of Stewart is the better choice, you get a direct flight to Orlando and probably will be on a larger jet, i believe you can only get regional jets out of White Plains, i just flew from White Plains to Charlotte on a RJ and had problems landing in the fog and had to be diverted for a few hours while the larger jets had more sophisticated landing equipment and were able to land on time... good luck...

JetBlue is flying Airbus 320's out of Westchester, not just RJ's.

Weather at Westchester is always a concern. Sandwiched between the Sound and Rye Lake they get more than their share of fog and poor visibility.

I have flown Jetblue a few times now and have had nothing but good experiences. In fact I just booked them for this summer out of Westchester to Orlando.

Flown AirTran a couple of times and found them alright. On time departures and arrivals with some early arrivals and a open gate available so we didn't have to wait for another aircraft to depart. Baggage claim was normal. Comfort was better then I expected.

The last flight I took on AirTran was to Orlando. We when landed we "flew" thru the taxi ways to the terminal. I've never been on a flight that moved that quick while still on land.

I want to see what JetBlue has to offer but their prices have always been higher then AirTran. When you have your wife and kids flying we you the difference adds up.

Working at Westchester County Airport this is what I have seen, Air Tran is always over booking there FLA flights, and asking for volunteers to give up there seats. But also on the same note when under booked they offer upgrades to business class for 60 dollars per segment, also when fog comes in to the airport Air Tran has no problem canceling flights. Now Jet Blue never over books also never offers any upgrades and very rarely canceling due to fog, they sit and wait it out until it lifts. As far as prices go AIr Tran is a little cheaper.

Edited by calhobs

thanks everyone for the tips. right now jet blue isnt giving prices until may but i will probably wait till then and see what they have to offer.

I flew airtran from Philly into Fort Lauderdale in December and it was a nightmare. They booked the flight for a 737 and wound up using the smaller 717, so about 1/3 of the people on the flight (including myself) got bumped because of their mistake. I didn't get to Florida until about 26 hours after I was supposed to. The flight back wasn't that much better, with flight attendants who were less than personable and satellite radios that didn't work. I'd say without a doubt to go with Jet Blue

Airtran also uses some old aircraft at times. I mean the 717 ?!?! When did they stop making that?

Jetblue Aircrafts are on average only 2-3 years old and they are getting new ones all the time.

I have flown both out of Westchester and agree that Jet Blue is a bit more comfortable. But as far as being on time and all that they were both the same. Airtran is always a little cheaper as well. JetBlues prices change daily so you never really know when you can get a deal. The 5 seat isles on JetBlue vs. the 6 on Airtran seems to be the biggest difference to me. Airtran also charges you to select a seat if you do not want to wait until you check in.

Airtran also uses some old aircraft at times. I mean the 717 ?!?! When did they stop making that?

AirTran operates as of the 2006 annual report aprox 90 aircraft in a 2:1 ratio of 717's to 737's. Their weighted average age is 4.3 years and have 60 aircraft on order between 2006 and 2011.

They stopped making the 717 in 2006. A true 717 can be no more than 10 years old becaue they didn't start making them under that model number until 1997 when Boeing and McDonald Douglas merged. It was called the McDonald Douglas MD80, MD88, or MD95 prior to the merger.

That being said... The 717's that AirTran is flying are relatively new (very new in some cases) compared to the 737's, 757's, & 767's, A319's, and A320's that many airlines are using.

Edited by mfc2257

I've only had one or two problems with Jet Blue, like the plane running out of fuel and having to make a pit stop in Stewart, but other than that, I recommend them for anything. I've flown them countless times between here and California/Vegas and never had a problem.

:cough: value jet :cough: I'll stick with Jet Blue

Edited by ny10570

I've only had one or two problems with Jet Blue, like the plane running out of fuel......

Now that's a problem!!! :blink::o:unsure:

Jet Blue gets my vote, however i'm looking at Skybus with some interest, esp. as they fly into some of the smaller regional airports

Negative. JetBlue flies their A320 out of HPN and AirTran uses the 717 from HPN (Westchester) .

I fly frequently from HPN to MCO (Orlando). If all things are equal (price and time of flight), I go with JetBlue. However, AirTran prices having been beating JetBlue prices over the last 6 months.

I had to do an emergency trip to Orlando a couple of weeks ago and with less than 12 hours to flight time, secured a ticket for $ 62 on AirTran......and the flight had a great tailwind.....2 hours and 6 minutes. Can't beat that !!

Edited by dadbo46

Was talking to some body at one of those rent a plane outfits they were not happy with AirTrans maintenance.Nuff Said!

Yes AirTran is the old Valujet re-named after the accident in the everglades.

"ValuJet was re-named AirTran Airways in 1997. This was done because the firm's public image never recovered from the crash of ValuJet Flight 592. On September 24, 1997 the parent company became AirTran Holdings Inc, and operations under new management began on September 1, 1998."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirTran_Airways

And I'm sure the Jetblue flight Didn't "run out of fuel". Rather in bad weather or delays, aircraft run low on fuel while in a holding pattern into JFK or LGA and routinely "Fuel and go" in nearby airports. Happens everyday.

Will hit it on the head. We got put into two straight holding patterns and the pilot did not feel comfortable staying in the holding pattern with the amount of fuel he had on board. All that aside, and the mouth on the self absorbed princess with her poodle who cursed out the pilot when we landed, I'd still stick with Jet Blue.

I just priced out flights for a possible LA Buff trip with an old truckie pal of mine. It actually costs more to go from Florida to LA, and 90% of the flights connect at JFK. So it's easier and probably cheaper for him to come up here and fly out with me from JFK.

Edited by JBE

Just priced out flights to and from Las vegas. Airtran roundtrip from Westchester to las vegas was $255 whereas jetblue, desont fly to vegas from westchester. From JFK it is $388.