Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Woman killed by Amtrak train at Croton-Harmon station

16 posts in this topic

By Rob Ryser

The Journal News • March 18, 2008

CROTON-ON-HUDSON - A woman was struck and killed by a southbound Amtrak train this morning at the Croton-Harmon station, a railroad spokesman said.

Story: http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS02/803180407

Multiple MA ambulances to Croton for accident witnesses.

Update from C2081 - The victim fell on to the tracks while having a cigarette - employee of the coffee stand at the train station.

I noticed in the report that MA Ambulances were CVAC, Verplanck and Peekskill. Did Ossining VAC respond as well?

I never heard them get dispatched, but I will find out for sure and update as neccisary.

The only M/A ambulance that went to the scene as far as I know was Cortland.

I'm sure the Ossining Medic (36M1) was on scene for a call of that particular nature

Edited by x648eng119

This is the third fatality in a week involving an Amtrak train. My thoughts go out to the victim and the engineer.

peekskill Ambulance was also brough in to the scene and peekskill was also place on standby for cortlandt Vac because Cortlandt had all 3 ambulances out.

The following units were at the scene:

Croton FD/EMS- Car 2082, 2083(IC),Engine 119, R18, 55B2 (5512-command post as EMS rep for unified command)

OVAC- 36M1, 36M2, 74B1

Cortlandt- 88B1 onscene, 88B3 standby at Croton Station #3

Peekskill VAC- 75B2, and ambulance on standby in Peekskill

WCDES Batallion 10

MTA FIRE-2641, 2642, 2643 and Fire Brigade manpower

MTA PD- various vehicles and officers

*The reason for the extent of M/A was due to the possibility of numerous patients due to "traumatic stress". Several patients evaluated on scene, and 1 person transported via OVAC 74B1 to WMC.

The following units were at the scene:

Croton FD/EMS- Car 2082, 2083(IC),Engine 119, R18, 55B2 (5512-command post as EMS rep for unified command)

OVAC- 36M1, 36M2, 74B1

Cortlandt- 88B1 onscene, 88B3 standby at Croton Station #3

Peekskill VAC- 75B2, and ambulance on standby in Peekskill

WCDES Batallion 10

MTA FIRE-2641, 2642, 2643 and Fire Brigade manpower

MTA PD- various vehicles and officers

*The reason for the extent of M/A was due to the possibility of numerous patients due to "traumatic stress". Several patients evaluated on scene, and 1 person transported via OVAC 74B1 to WMC.

questions:

are all these ems units protocol for an incident like this? never been to an incident like this, and naturally nor would i want to

anyone know off-hand who the tx'd person was (conductor, passanger, etc), was it for physical or emotional reasons?

vacguy,

I can't say who the transported party was, but it was not for any physical injury.

Our SOG for any accident involving a train in Croton is a Two Engine, Rescue, 2 Ambulance and Medic response. It's done like this based on the large number or people aboard the train(s) as well as those on the platform and the station.

Today we brought in two Mutual Aid ambulances to the scene, had one in our district covering additional calls and had neighboring agencies standing-by should we have needed them.

As luck would have it, our 2nd ambulance as well as the 1st Due Engine are both out of service for maintenance. Neither of these had any bearing on the overall operation.

As the IC, I would like to extend my appreciation to the members of Tri-Community ALS, Cortlandt, Ossining, Peekskill and Mohegan VACs; MTA Police and MTA Fire; Croton PD; Battalion 10, my coworkers at 60 Control and of course, the members of my Department for their professionalism and assistance.

And as a side note - many thanks to Con Ed for the Command Board they donated to us earlier this year. Comes in handy!

Edited by Remember585

vacguy,

I can't say who the transported party was, but it was not for any physical injury.

Our SOG for any accident involving a train in Croton is a Two Engine, Rescue, 2 Ambulance and Medic response. It's done like this based on the large number or people aboard the train(s) as well as those on the platform and the station.

Today we brought in two Mutual Aid ambulances to the scene, had one in our district covering additional calls and had neighboring agencies standing-by should we have needed them.

As luck would have it, our 2nd ambulance as well as the 1st Due Engine are both out of service for maintenance. Neither of these had any bearing on the overall operation.

As the IC, I would like to extend my appreciation to the members of Tri-Community ALS, Cortlandt, Ossining, Peekskill and Mohegan VACs; MTA Police and MTA Fire; Croton PD; Battalion 10, my coworkers at 60 Control and of course, the members of my Department for their professionalism and assistance.

And as a side note - many thanks to Con Ed for the Command Board they donated to us earlier this year. Comes in handy!

gracias!

MTA Fire? I didn't know such an agency existed, can anyone give any info?

MTA fire brigade. Very useful resource if you're operating on the tracks or want to train on the trains.

Thoughts and prayers are with all involved.

Fire Engineering this month has a great article about operating on or around railroad tracks, and a good primer for firefighters on train operations. A very good read, especially since commuter rail weaves its way throughout many Westchester communities.

MTA Fire? I didn't know such an agency existed, can anyone give any info?

Westchester Co. Car designations 2641-2643.

MTA Fire Brigade are all employees of Metro North who are also members on the outside of either a fire department or ambulance corp. All members are required to be a least a CFR but we try to push for EMT's. We are the first ones to respond to the calls on the MTA property , either fire or ems.

Photos / info posted at our Department Website:

CROTON FIRE

Direct Link to story page:

STORY

Edited by Remember585