Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Construction Lift Rescue

19 posts in this topic

As buildings today get taller and taller, construction lifts, such as the JLG lift, scissor style lift, and other types of lifts are becoming more and more common.

So, let's take this scenario, and see what we can do with it.

This building is 12 stories tall. The parapet you see is just that, a parapet that drops off about a story on the other side. While operating the lift, a structural defect caused the boom to jam, and the worker is unable to get out of the bucket. You don't have an aerial tall enough to reach the lift.

EDIT: OK, let's kick this up a notch. A strong thunderstorm with dangerous lightening is rolling in. It's a Sunday afternoon, and the soonest you can get another lift there would be 2 hours. The worker is starting to freak out and attempting to crawl out of the basket down the boom.

How would you attempt to remove the worker safely and efficiently?

post-11-1206121178.jpg

Edited by x635
To Kick It Up A Notch

If the worker is not in any distress or in any imminent danger, why not see if the construction company can get another lift there, tie off the worker, and assist him from the disabled lift to the functional one.

If the worker is not in any distress or in any imminent danger, why not see if the construction company can get another lift there, tie off the worker, and assist him from the disabled lift to the functional one.

OK, let's kick this up a notch. A strong thunderstorm with dangerous lightening is rolling in. It's a Sunday afternoon, and the soonest you can get another lift there would be 2 hours. The worker is starting to freak out and attempting to crawl out of the basket down the boom.

I'd take out a window and use a Roof ladder, tied off to reach him, He's got a harness on already, Tie him off and bring em in. Lifts also have Hydraulic overrides that may be used to bring them down to a safe level to get him.

Safely for me or for the worker because it is entirely different scenarios.

If the hook still worked, I'd send it down take two harnesses a rope some carabiners an eight and my ascenders. I'd ride it up, throw the rope the last distance to the bucket, secure it, ascend up to the bucket, harness up the worker, lower him, reset and rapell down.

Where's the emergency escape ladder like on the tower ladders? :lol::P

Safely for me or for the worker because it is entirely different scenarios.

If the hook still worked, I'd send it down take two harnesses a rope some carabiners an eight and my ascenders. I'd ride it up, throw the rope the last distance to the bucket, secure it, ascend up to the bucket, harness up the worker, lower him, reset and rapell down.

Who are you Clarke Kent? Rambo?

1st, if the boom is jammed, the wheels CAN still MOVE. Therefore, he could move forward towards the building and the Fire Dept won't have to go out as far to reach him with that roof ladder.

However, after the edit, get the body bag ready. If he cannot be calmed down by anybody and can't remain the basket. With the rain and from that picture that there's no grip for him to climb down on, he's gonna fall.

Mike

Chances are that you can get on the roof (the high parapet is hiding the HVAC & cooling towers). Use a folding ladder or Little Giant ladder to get to the parapet, set an anchor on the roof (Use the base frame of the HVAC). Rappel down using a 6 bar rack and do a pick-off (my preferance is to use a short haul system - as developed for doing mid air line transfer). The worker is already wearing a class III harness so its pretty easy to hook up. If properly trained this can be done in about 30-45 minutes. My only concern is the construction of the wall....might consider a secondary anchor by using the lift prior to adding the extra load.

Another way to perform the rescue and get your dept on the cover of fire house mag........Airbags under the right side of the lift. When the bucket hits the ground remove the crushed worker. Total time 3 min.

But chief I know it will work :rolleyes:

Looks close enough to the building and high enough to drop either a roof ladder or an 18' extension ladder directly into the bucket, then have him climb out on his own.

How About MUTUAL AID?????? :D

...might consider a secondary anchor by using the lift prior to adding the extra load.

I fully agree with what you've said, but you lost me here. I get the need for the secondary anchor, but what do you mean about using the lift? Thanks

OK, if it weren't for the thunderstorm in the area I'd say call a HELICOPTER (yes, a shameless plug - read: job security).

How about calling the NYPD for their air bag unit based in the Bronx (not the kind of airbag already suggested) and let the guy jump like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon. Great footage for YouTube.

Ok, I am kinda embarresed to tell this one, but here it goes, The ambulance service I work for is a three story building, we put Christmas lights up every year around the top of the building, but the roof condition is getting worse so we opted to get a construction lift, drill holes and put eye hooks in them to secure the christmas lights this year. So we rented the bucket lift and things were going well, so on the 2nd day, the day before thanksgiving we (myself and my chief) up in the bucket finishing up with the job and the lift just shut off. We were fully extended, but was in the process of moving the lift so we wasnt close to the building. So luckly our mechanic was there, so he thought we was just out of gas, so he added some and still couldn't get the machine started. So then it started to rain. A call was placed to the rental company and they sent out a mechanic, and wouldnt you guess, they couldnt get it started either, so they tried to let us down manualy but they stupid thing had vapor locked, so we put in a call to the City Fire Dept for their 114' Bronto. To make a long story short, all the crews was out laughing, the newspaper was there, and we made the front page, stepping from the lift to the bronto. So things can go real bad on these lifts, I am living proof!

I fully agree with what you've said, but you lost me here. I get the need for the secondary anchor, but what do you mean about using the lift? Thanks

Since the lift is stuck but not falling its holding his weight when you come down to it add an anchor sling on it and add a tandum tripple wrap prusik to the main line to take the extra weight of 2 members.

Lots of other ways to do this one. All based on the same concepts.

OK, if it weren't for the thunderstorm in the area I'd say call a HELICOPTER (yes, a shameless plug - read: job security).

How about calling the NYPD for their air bag unit based in the Bronx (not the kind of airbag already suggested) and let the guy jump like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon. Great footage for YouTube.

If you want Youtube: You know shooting skeet..........."PULL-------Bang"

Get a Bridger Line Gun (we have on R-4) "Bang-------PULL"

Shoot the line gun at the worker, when the brass rod sticks in him....pull the line and presto.....your on youtube...... :lol:

by no means am i a expert with theese tye of lifts but it is my understanding that they now have some overide capabilites meaning that not only can you operate the lift from the basket but also from a panel on the lifts house at ground level this is not the first time something like this has happend and many safety devises have been added through the years. there are supose to be operating instrutions at both the basket and the main house as well as a operators manuel on the piece of equipment which is required by osha of course all in a perfect world. also there is useally some safety levers or pedals that must be in the proper position in order for any thing to function ie. start or hydrolics to work and may also have a devise for killing all systems when being operated at a incorect or unsafe angle of course with this little bit of knowledge i could be very dangerous. :lol:

I'm by no means an expert on this, but why couldn't you do an FDNY style rope over the roof rescue? I realize that's a last resort, but, wouldn't that work? Just curious. Like I said, I'm definitely not an expert, but it looks like it could be done that way, based on the photo.

-Joe DA BUFF