Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Annoying Ads!

47 posts in this topic

Jack10562 are you saying that the cost now was the same as 5 years ago when the site started?

I thought the owner had to upgrade the server to handle everything which in turn cost more money...

It is not because of the context on the site but the amount of people trying to view it. The member number has increased so much that it crashed the old server several times. If the number of members remained the same from 5 years ago the cost would be the same but with the increase you need a larger server to accommodate for the thousands of more hits the site receives a day. I think you are misinformed as to why it costs more as are many people.

I have a few ideas. Maybe the staff should be let go to save money, and EMTBravo should go back to doing the work himself.

Also, maybe you should turn over the site to someone who could run it better. I'm sure there would be a lot of people out there willing to take over the reins.

Or, as mentioned before, shut down all the other sites until you can handle running one.

Know what you're talking about before you pipe in.

The staff aren't paid here, and the additional sites do not cost us more money, its the higher number of users.

The more sites you have linked to the server+ the more people you have looking at it+ the bigger it has to be =the more money it cost to run...

"We don't need the forums cluttered with wining and crying about ads." then close the thread and nobody has to chime in...

Well... I wasn't going to comment on what was an obviously doomed thread but.... I have donated to this site in the past and will continue to donate as I am financially able to. This site provides a service that obviously has an impact on the public safety community and a positive one at that. I have sat on these forums and given advice on what and what not to do to make this site better. Some have been taken into consideration and some have not. Despite that, I continue to donate, partly because of my admiration of the site and partly because of the financial situation of the founder (which could easily happen to any of us). What it comes down to is this, if you don't like the ads then don't come back. This is not an attack on anyone but if I don't like a site, I won't come back and I could care less what happens to it. Therefore, leave.... you won't be missed, the site will continue to run, and nobody will care about what happens to you. Stop making a mountain out of a mole-hill. As was said in a previous post, this site costs money to run... if you have donated in the past then you might, I say might, be entitled to an opinion of the advertising.... if you haven't, stop your b*****ng.... Be safe brothers!!!!

Well... I wasn't going to comment on what was an obviously doomed thread but.... I have donated to this site in the past and will continue to donate as I am financially able to. This site provides a service that obviously has an impact on the public safety community and a positive one at that. I have sat on these forums and given advice on what and what not to do to make this site better. Some have been taken into consideration and some have not. Despite that, I continue to donate, partly because of my admiration of the site and partly because of the financial situation of the founder (which could easily happen to any of us). What it comes down to is this, if you don't like the ads then don't come back. This is not an attack on anyone but if I don't like a site, I won't come back and I could care less what happens to it. Therefore, leave.... you won't be missed, the site will continue to run, and nobody will care about what happens to you. Stop making a mountain out of a mole-hill. As was said in a previous post, this site costs money to run... if you have donated in the past then you might, I say might, be entitled to an opinion of the advertising.... if you haven't, stop your b*****ng.... Be safe brothers!!!!

AMEN ! Put up or shut up !!

thank you to members who have supported this site and Seth we are more then just a web site we are a voice and a web family ane we can over come the BS that some members put out.

thanks again Seth for what you do for all of us.

CP

I have a few ideas. Maybe the staff should be let go to save money, and EMTBravo should go back to doing the work himself.

Also, maybe you should turn over the site to someone who could run it better. I'm sure there would be a lot of people out there willing to take over the reins.

Or, as mentioned before, shut down all the other sites until you can handle running one.

The so-called "staff" to which you refer are not salaried employees. Nobody is being compensated for any of their positions within the EMTBravo group.

thank you to members who have supported this site and Seth we are more then just a web site we are a voice and a web family ane we can over come the BS that some members put out.

thanks again Seth for what you do for all of us.

CP

Chris I agree with you 100%, This is a great site!

Take for instance a radio station, how do they pay the bills - ad's

Sometimes no matter how annoying they are, they pay the bills!

Thank you to all the members who have donated money and supported EMTBravo!

I have been quiet on this but now I must speak up. Seth, you're doing a fantastic job and have since day one. For the most part there is a tremendous amount of info here on this site and a lot to learn. The one or two uneducated (I changed what i roiginally wanted to call them) who complain have no clue. Those are the same who have been to one or two workers, an MVA or 2 and think they know everything. 35 years and I'm still learning. Everyone of the instructors I know are still learning new things as well. Times keep changing and with this site it helps keep up because everyone has a different view of an experience.

Look at it this way. Take 2 people and walk down a trail for a mile. Stop, turn around and look back then list everythnig you saw quickly on a paper. Then exchange papers. You'll be surprised that more than half is not listed on both papers. Eveyone has a different view. That is what makes this site so good. Everyone no matter how moronic (is that a word) has an opinion and a view and so long as its not antagonistic the moderators let it go. So ok someone doesn't like the ads. He doesn't know that is what keeps this site going, He doesn't have a choice, either live with it or don't use the site or help support it with a donation.

Some people don't understand scalability of servers. Yes more users mean more horsepower for the servers. I'll bet a lot of the out of the area sites have gotten donations too and adds so everyone of the sites as a whole is not the major drain. Eachj one is not carrying itself. I have given before and will do so again. As someone said IF EVERY MEMBER GAVE 1 DOLLAR. How about just half?

I don't mind the ads. What pop ups? Guess someone needs to learn to keep off the p**** sites or uise a pop up blocker. I've never had a pop up on Bravo.

I will return this tread to the normal channel.

just boot him out.. then he will not have to worry about it!!

just boot him out.. then he will not have to worry about it!!

The only problem with that, is that then a whole other group of people go up in arms about abuse of admin powers and the sort. See the Catch 22? Let them stay, they whine. Kick them out, they, or others whine.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I try hard not to make the ads invasive or extravagent, but at the same time noticeable, so the advertisers get what they pay for. I would truly like to cover this site 100% out of my own pocket if I could, it would make my life a lot easier, but unfortunetly I don't have the finances needed to even consider that right now.

The support shown on this thread is much appreciated. We should be able to cover server costs for April with just a few more donations, and hopefully some new advertisers.

Even if the pop up's are there they are related to the rest of the sites and its not just me but i'm sure a handfull of the members have clicked on them in interest. As much as people hate the pop up's they are useful and I have ordered merchandise through this site and ads that I would not have known about normally.

POPUP blocker... USE it. The ads that are shown on this site(all the ones I seen) are all field related, isnt that a good thing?? Its not like Im seeing ads for Netflix or some get of of Debt program, or the win the free phone or laptop crap. But if who is gonna pay to go on a site where the members and moderators are bickering with eachother? Not placing the blame on anyone, but its childish. Most people agree on here and bring good positive info related to the FD/PD/EMS world, and sometimes you get outside stuff (news etc. ) which makes the site interesting to come to and watch a good debate. Ive seen many a sites goto ruins over crap like this, setting up different memberships, banning certain topics and so on. Whoever runs this should make the decision on what to do and go forward with it. Because asking people opinions is only making things personal.

Thanks to everyone for their support. I try hard not to make the ads invasive or extravagent, but at the same time noticeable, so the advertisers get what they pay for. I would truly like to cover this site 100% out of my own pocket if I could, it would make my life a lot easier, but unfortunetly I don't have the finances needed to even consider that right now.

The support shown on this thread is much appreciated. We should be able to cover server costs for April with just a few more donations, and hopefully some new advertisers.

Well how much more do you need to get April covered? Maybe we can get this handled now and get some donations in!

Edited by HCFRFF