Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

Stamford PD-Light bar question

22 posts in this topic

Hopefully someone can help. Recently I was in Stamford visiting my sister who had a baby girl at Stamford hospital. I saw a few city PD cars with LED light bars, however while they were patrolling or just sitting in a parking lot, the ends of their light bars were on "glow". One end is red, the other blue, and it appeared to be a low intensity always on setting. Is this on purpose? Does anyone else do this? Thanks in advance. MFY

they might have had the steady burn on I think in california pov's and maybe detectives have to use it cause in galls they have it listed for certain lights that it has the ca. steady burn pattern. I saw the whelen freedom lightbar glowing like that one time on brewsters chief's car when brewster came to stand by at carmel's firehouse over the summer I thought it was weird.

There was a similar question to this in the last year or so, about some particular PD agency in CT with the ends that stayed on, I think in a mode called "Cruise" or something to that effect. I actually went looking for that thread about 2 weeks ago to no avail. I would be interested if anyone knew where that thread is/went.

The PD may have been Stamford they were referring to, either that, or CT State PD, and the first thing that comes to mind is that it was CTSP who they were talking about.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Stamford does use the cruise mode, it is to make the vehicles more visible, especially at night. CSP has used this since at least the Early 70's.

Stamford's lightbars are California spec, which means when in emergency mode there is 1 steady burn red in the front (one of the two takedowns) and 1 flashing amber in the read (the traffic director counts).

Interesting...Cruise mode. I do think it works, especially for high visibility patrols, such as in urban neighborhoods, but they probably know what street you are on before they see you...Streets is Watching theory. Now, is it a police department policy or a city ordinance? In California it is a state policy correct? I have seen it in many instances out there, never on this coast though.

I have seen a large number of Connecticut PD's that use the cruise mode, Norwalk and Trumbull are two that come to mind. Our old command car had the cruise mode on the old Whelen Edge 9000 and certain drivers used it at night when "cruising". I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the police want to be seen.

Greenwich PD has the dim colored lightbar lights also.

I remember Mount Pleasant PD NY had that feature in the late 80's. Motorist would pull over everytime they saw the lights, not knowing if they were supposed to be flashing. This was confusing.

I live in CT...

TONS of PDs do this and I've always wondered what it was all about. I see it on locals and troopers. Vehicles both parked, on patrol and even doing speed traps. But even within the same department it's not consistent.

I know that in NY steady burn indicates the same message to other drivers as flashing.

Any POs from CT have an answer?

I personally think it's great, lets me [and I can only assume the thugs] know that the good guys are around.

From what I've been told this is for nothing more then extra visibility at night. There is a "cruise" button on the center console in the Stamford cars that turn them on and off in case they don't want to be seen. I think they're great, not only do they look good, but they really do increase the visibility of the cars dramatically.

PATROL LIGHTS

High Visibility = Crime Deterrence!

As a former CSP dispatcher, the "cruise lights" are used for when patroling an area so the vehicle is technically marked. These lights can be turned on or off to show if the cruiser is "on duty" or "off duty" and for going "stealth". Many PDs in CT operate the marker lights and in the days of old lightbars, many departments had the old "lollipop" green lights mounted on the top of the bars. Also when CSP had the old blue "gumball machine" rotator and later strobe set up, they were also had the curise light moutned in there.

Not from CT, and haven't seen this feature...anyone have a picture?

As a former CSP dispatcher, the "cruise lights" are used for when patroling an area so the vehicle is technically marked. These lights can be turned on or off to show if the cruiser is "on duty" or "off duty" and for going "stealth". Many PDs in CT operate the marker lights and in the days of old lightbars, many departments had the old "lollipop" green lights mounted on the top of the bars. Also when CSP had the old blue "gumball machine" rotator and later strobe set up, they were also had the curise light moutned in there.

For the longest time, Waterbury PD had a marker light atop the light bar that was steady burn. Does anyone know why they did that or was it just tradition?

The new Whelen lightbar that Stamford has from Fleet Auto in West Haven, CT is a fully programable lightbar and can be set-up in numberous configurations.

As far as the cruise option it is programmed into the system and offers visibility to deter criminal activity.

This was an option in the old edge series and was an extra bracket with low power bulbs on the ends.

I recall the days when Waterbury and New haven used the old signal stat flashers in blue or green as cruise lights. New Haven had them next to their center beacon with red/white/blue/amber seal beams, but that was many moons ago.

post-6632-1206474472.jpg

post-6632-1206474837.jpg

The new Whelen lightbar that Stamford has from Fleet Auto in West Haven, CT is a fully programable lightbar and can be set-up in numberous configurations.

As far as the cruise option it is programmed into the system and offers visibility to deter criminal activity.

This was an option in the old edge series and was an extra bracket with low power bulbs on the ends.

I recall the days when Waterbury and New haven used the old signal stat flashers in blue or green as cruise lights. New Haven had them next to their center beacon with red/white/blue/amber seal beams, but that was many moons ago.

I was a baby then!! LOL Actually I remember what you are talking about.

I know that Quinnipiac and Yale University security also use the cruise mode on their light bars.

I know that Quinnipiac and Yale University security also use the cruise mode on their light bars.

Though they are yellow! LOL

When I was in Cancun a few years ago for spring break the police would patrol with ALL of the lights on didn't make much sense to me how do people know when they are getting pulled over?!?!

Some of the PD's in CT use alternate patterns for the cruise mode. Some with have the red and blue on and some run with just the red or just the blue. It definitely makes them more noticeable.

Norwalk has a few cars that have the Whelen Liberty Bars, at night the whole bar is lit in a dim output. The rest of the cars have whelen Freedom bars that only the ends are on, and the older cars have whelen ultra LC's or 9Ms Where there is separate bulbs in the end of the bar that light up.

When I was in Cancun a few years ago for spring break the police would patrol with ALL of the lights on didn't make much sense to me how do people know when they are getting pulled over?!?!

I lived in Puerto Rico for a few years while in the Navy. The Caribbean countries did this because many people who live in the hills did not have electricity and definitely no phones. The PR police/EMS/FD ride around with their lights activated so people can see them and flag them down if needed. You only had to yield to them if their siren was acitivated.